Getting HPDF running

Leo-2
Hi,

I'm trying to build some PDF-Files from
Squeak and stumbled over  the HPDF-
Framework, which seems to suit my purpose
 pretty well.

So I installed the FFI and HPDF packages
 and tried the tests.
Since the ones for HPDF fail, I assume that
I have to use the libHaru Libraries and to
combine them somehow with this FFI-thing...

...but actually I have no idea how to do that! :(
Could anybody give me some advice?
Probably that's a dumb question, but I would
enjoy Your answer nontheless. ;)

Best regards,
Leo

Re: Getting HPDF running

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Thu, 5 May 2011, Leo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build some PDF-Files from
> Squeak and stumbled over  the HPDF-
> Framework, which seems to suit my purpose
> pretty well.
>
> So I installed the FFI and HPDF packages
> and tried the tests.
> Since the ones for HPDF fail, I assume that
> I have to use the libHaru Libraries and to
> combine them somehow with this FFI-thing...

Right, FFI is just a tool to use libraries written in other languages. So
you need the dynamic libraries for libharu for your platform (available
at http://libharu.sourceforge.net/ ) to make it work.

Levente

> ...but actually I have no idea how to do that! :(
> Could anybody give me some advice?
> Probably that's a dumb question, but I would
> enjoy Your answer nontheless. ;)
>
> Best regards,
> Leo

Re: Getting HPDF running

Leo-2
Levente Uzonyi <leves <at> elte.hu> writes:

> Right, FFI is just a tool to use libraries written in other languages. So
> you need the dynamic libraries for libharu for your platform (available
> at http://libharu.sourceforge.net/ ) to make it work.
>
> Levente

Hey Levente,

thanks for your answer!
Actually I've never used FFI bevore... Could You outline what I have to
do to use the libharu dll with FFI, or where I can find more
information about that?

All google came up with is: 'On the pc, I just installed FFI, copied a
FFIPlugin and libhpdf.dll to  the squeak directory, and was done [...].'
which doesn't explain anything at all (at least to me).

I'd be really greatful.
Leo

Re: Getting HPDF running

Herbert König
Hi Leo,

L> All google came up with is: 'On the pc, I just installed FFI, copied a
L> FFIPlugin and libhpdf.dll to  the squeak directory, and was done [...].'
L> which doesn't explain anything at all (at least to me).

I haven't tried HPDF myself but I assume the Squeak HPDF package uses
the Squeak FFI to talk to the libhpdf.dll.

So if you take a suitable Squeak image install FFI if not already
installed, copy the libhpdf.dll to the Squeak directory it should
work.

As I see the latest mcz for the HPDF package is from 2009 the suitable
Squeak image might not be the latest 4.2 but an older one (3.9 from
ftp.Squeak.org). The author Thorsten Bergmann is a regular on Squeak
dev.

Herbert

Re: Getting HPDF running

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sat, 7 May 2011, Leo wrote:

> Levente Uzonyi <leves <at> elte.hu> writes:
>
>> Right, FFI is just a tool to use libraries written in other languages. So
>> you need the dynamic libraries for libharu for your platform (available
>> at http://libharu.sourceforge.net/ ) to make it work.
>>
>> Levente
>
> Hey Levente,
>
> thanks for your answer!
> Actually I've never used FFI bevore... Could You outline what I have to
> do to use the libharu dll with FFI, or where I can find more
> information about that?
>
> All google came up with is: 'On the pc, I just installed FFI, copied a
> FFIPlugin and libhpdf.dll to  the squeak directory, and was done [...].'
> which doesn't explain anything at all (at least to me).

I think Herbert answered all of your questions. If you have further
questions, let us know.

Levente

> I'd be really greatful.
> Leo

Re: Getting HPDF running

Leo-2
Thank You very much, Herbert and Levente! :)
It works fine with Squeak 4.2 as well, seems like I had some
downloading-issues the first time. After reloading HPDF
everything worked out.