Getting IP address of machine from Pharo

Getting IP address of machine from Pharo

Denis Kudriashov
Hello.

Do we have a way to retrieve IP address from Pharo?
I tried to use following code:

NetNameResolver addressForName: NetNameResolver localHostName

But it either not works (dialog with retry give-up options) or returns localhost 127.0.0.1.

Best regards,
Denis

Re: Getting IP address of machine from Pharo

Julien Delplanque-2
What do you mean by your IP address, on your local network or the one seen by external servers when you connect to them?

If I remember well, the IP address seen by computers outside your local network is not the IP address of your actual computer but the one of the router connecting your local network to the outside web.

I am not sure you can get the outside IP address without asking it to a computer outside your local network but I might be wrong.

Julien

---
Julien Delplanque
Doctorant à l’Université de Lille 1
Bâtiment B 40, Avenue Halley 59650 Villeneuve d'Ascq
Numéro de téléphone: +333 59 35 86 40

Le 14 mars 2018 à 11:07, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hello.

Do we have a way to retrieve IP address from Pharo?
I tried to use following code:

NetNameResolver addressForName: NetNameResolver localHostName

But it either not works (dialog with retry give-up options) or returns localhost 127.0.0.1.

Best regards,
Denis

Re: Getting IP address of machine from Pharo

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list
This is probably what you are looking for (one of the code snippets does exactly what you want).

As for services/websites you can query to get the public ip address, here's a short list (you'll have to modify the example above to parse the response correctly):

http://checkip.dyndns.com
https://www.whatismypublicip.com/
http://freegeoip.net
https://who.is/
http://www.ipchicken.com/
http://www.whatsmyip.org/
https://api.ipify.org/
https://whatismyipaddress.com/

IMHO, the simplest is api.ipify.org.  However, note that some of those service also answer geolocation info!

-----------------
Benoît St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
Twitter: @BenLeChialeux
Pinterest: benoitstjean
Instagram: Chef_Benito
IRC: lamneth
Blogue: endormitoire.wordpress.com
"A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero".  (A. Einstein)

Best regards,
Denis

Re: Getting IP address of machine from Pharo

Denis Kudriashov
What do you mean by your IP address, on your local network or the one seen by external servers when you connect to them?

I need address in my local network.

If I remember well, the IP address seen by computers outside your local network is not the IP address of your actual computer but the one of the router connecting your local network to the outside web.

I am not sure you can get the outside IP address without asking it to a computer outside your local network but I might be wrong.

Julien

---
Julien Delplanque
Doctorant à l’Université de Lille 1
Numéro de téléphone: <a href="tel:+33%203%2059%2035%2086%2040" value="+33359358640" target="_blank">+333 59 35 86 40

Le 14 mars 2018 à 11:07, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hello.

Do we have a way to retrieve IP address from Pharo?
I tried to use following code:

NetNameResolver addressForName: NetNameResolver localHostName

But it either not works (dialog with retry give-up options) or returns localhost 127.0.0.1.

Best regards,
Denis

Re: Getting IP address of machine from Pharo

Julien Delplanque-2
Ok, this one you can get it (for each network interface) via

$ ifconfig

In the command line. So I guess it should be possible to ask the OS via a FFI call what is the address.

I don’t know what is done in Pharo about that.

Apparently, on Linux using C, it is possible to get the IP address of an interface via a call to getifaddrs [1].

I don’t know what is the method to do that on Mac OS.

Julien

Links:

---

Le 14 mars 2018 à 11:28, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> a écrit :

What do you mean by your IP address, on your local network or the one seen by external servers when you connect to them?

I need address in my local network.

If I remember well, the IP address seen by computers outside your local network is not the IP address of your actual computer but the one of the router connecting your local network to the outside web.

I am not sure you can get the outside IP address without asking it to a computer outside your local network but I might be wrong.

Julien

---
Julien Delplanque
Doctorant à l’Université de Lille 1
Numéro de téléphone: <a href="tel:+33%203%2059%2035%2086%2040" value="+33359358640" target="_blank" class="">+333 59 35 86 40

Le 14 mars 2018 à 11:07, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hello.

Do we have a way to retrieve IP address from Pharo?
I tried to use following code:

NetNameResolver addressForName: NetNameResolver localHostName

But it either not works (dialog with retry give-up options) or returns localhost 127.0.0.1.

Best regards,
Denis

Re: Getting IP address of machine from Pharo

Denis Kudriashov
Yes, external lib is an option.
I expected that we already have something in the image.

[...]

Henrik Sperre Johansen