Getting Pharo 1.0 released

12

Getting Pharo 1.0 released

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi all

I suggest the following:
        we go over the bug tracker and move to 1.1 all the issues that are
not showstopper
        and we declare pharo 1.0 done
        and we open pharo 1.1 alpha

Does it make sense to you?

Re: Getting Pharo 1.0 released

laurent laffont

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all

I suggest the following:
       we go over the bug tracker and move to 1.1 all the issues that are
not showstopper
       and we declare pharo 1.0 done
       and we open pharo 1.1 alpha

Does it make sense to you?
Stef

Is "Pharo by Example" done ? May be it's a good idea to release both together as a 1.0 version in the news is a way to attract new developpers and new developpers need documentation.

Laurent Laffont

Re: Getting Pharo 1.0 released

Peter Hugosson-Miller
On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all

I suggest the following:
       we go over the bug tracker and move to 1.1 all the issues that are
not showstopper
       and we declare pharo 1.0 done
       and we open pharo 1.1 alpha

Does it make sense to you?

I know I'm still very much a n00b here, but I'll add my $0.02 anyway.

Whenever I want to try something new, one of the first things I always do is to locate the test suite, run all the tests, and make sure everything is green. Right now I see that in the core beta we have 32 failures and 2 errors, and to me it does not feel like it should be a huge job to fix those before we declare a new version.

I would be interested to hear if there is any good reason not to have that as a goal, and of course I would be prepared to help out if anybody agrees with my idea.

Peter

Re: Getting Pharo 1.0 released

Adrian Lienhard
I went through all 1.0 items and changed those to 1.1 that I think are
not that important. There are 24 issues left that I think need to be
fixed before we can declare 1.0 final. Among them are a lot of
debugger problems likely related to closures that may be hard to fix.

Peter, one issue is "fix all failing tests". So we really want to "be
green" for the release!

Two other things we need to prepare is the one-click image (I think
Marcus said he will look into this) and a secondary update stream that
allows us to push maintenance changes to 1.0.x at the same time as we
work on 1.1.

So, there is still quite some work left...

Adrian

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 9:19 AM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
I went through all 1.0 items and changed those to 1.1 that I think are
not that important. There are 24 issues left that I think need to be
fixed before we can declare 1.0 final. Among them are a lot of
debugger problems likely related to closures that may be hard to fix.

Peter, one issue is "fix all failing tests". So we really want to "be
green" for the release!

Two other things we need to prepare is the one-click image (I think
Marcus said he will look into this) and a secondary update stream that
allows us to push maintenance changes to 1.0.x at the same time as we
work on 1.1.

So, there is still quite some work left...

Adrian

On Sep 4, 2009, at 08:52 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I suggest the following:
>       we go over the bug tracker and move to 1.1 all the issues that are
> not showstopper
>       and we declare pharo 1.0 done
>       and we open pharo 1.1 alpha
>
> Does it make sense to you?
> Stef

Thanks Adrian, it's very good to know that my feelings are not against the spirit of the project ;-)>

Peter

Re: Getting Pharo 1.0 released

Michael Roberts-2
on the debugger front , Eliot has some fixes so that should move us forwards.
Cheers
mike

On Sep 4, 2009, at 9:03 AM, laurent laffont wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I suggest the following:
>        we go over the bug tracker and move to 1.1 all the issues
> that are
> not showstopper
>        and we declare pharo 1.0 done
>        and we open pharo 1.1 alpha
>
> Does it make sense to you?
> Stef
>
> Is "Pharo by Example" done ?

Yes :)

> May be it's a good idea to release both together as a 1.0 version in
> the news is a way to attract new developpers and new developpers
> need documentation.
>

> Laurent Laffont

Re: Getting Pharo 1.0 released

I should also move simpleButton from Sound to Morph
- generate new source code.

On Sep 4, 2009, at 9:19 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> I went through all 1.0 items and changed those to 1.1 that I think are
> not that important. There are 24 issues left that I think need to be
> fixed before we can declare 1.0 final. Among them are a lot of
> debugger problems likely related to closures that may be hard to fix.
>
> Peter, one issue is "fix all failing tests". So we really want to "be
> green" for the release!
>
> Two other things we need to prepare is the one-click image (I think
> Marcus said he will look into this) and a secondary update stream that
> allows us to push maintenance changes to 1.0.x at the same time as we
> work on 1.1.
>
> So, there is still quite some work left...
>
> Adrian
>
> On Sep 4, 2009, at 08:52 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I suggest the following:
>> we go over the bug tracker and move to 1.1 all the issues that are
>> not showstopper
>> and we declare pharo 1.0 done
>> and we open pharo 1.1 alpha
>>
>> Does it make sense to you?
>> Stef

Re: Getting Pharo 1.0 released

Did eliot issue them?

> on the debugger front , Eliot has some fixes so that should move us
> forwards.
> Cheers
> mike

Re: Getting Pharo 1.0 released

vicnet
Hello,

Stéphane Ducasse-2 wrote
> Is "Pharo by Example" done ?
Yes :)
I saw it few days ago with a 'googlerie' with pharobyexample.
My developpers try to learn Pharo with SbE and it was not easy so thank you to realase a Pharo book !

You should put this information in the Book/Tutorial page.

a+
Vicnet

Re: Getting Pharo 1.0 released

Miguel Cobá
El vie, 04-09-2009 a las 09:40 +0200, Stéphane Ducasse escribió:

> On Sep 4, 2009, at 9:03 AM, laurent laffont wrote:
>

> > On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]
> > > wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I suggest the following:
> >        we go over the bug tracker and move to 1.1 all the issues
> > that are
> > not showstopper
> >        and we declare pharo 1.0 done
> >        and we open pharo 1.1 alpha
> >
> > Does it make sense to you?
> > Stef
> >
> > Is "Pharo by Example" done ?
>
> Yes :)

Hi Stef,

very good news.
Thanks to all the authors that worked hard to finish it.

> > May be it's a good idea to release both together as a 1.0 version in
> > the news is a way to attract new developpers and new developpers
> > need documentation.
> >

> > Laurent Laffont
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Getting Pharo 1.0 released

Daniel P Zepeda

On Sep 4, 2009, at 2:40 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>> Is "Pharo by Example" done ?
>
> Yes :)

Really!? Where can we get it? I'm really hot to get my hands on this
because I'm getting my son started on Squeak by Example after your
excellent book 'Learning Squeak with Robots' But I want him to learn
Pharo because the overall goal is to get him into Seaside and Webapps.
Now would be the perfect time to get this book for us anyway.

Thanks!

P.S.

BTW,

He set up a blog on his own, with pix he created with the ideas he got
from Learning with Robots:

Sorry, this is a bit off-topic.

DZ

Re: Getting Pharo 1.0 released

Igor Stasenko
2009/9/3 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
> Hi all
>
> I suggest the following:
>        we go over the bug tracker and move to 1.1 all the issues that are
> not showstopper
>        and we declare pharo 1.0 done
>        and we open pharo 1.1 alpha
>
> Does it make sense to you?

Can i suggest another strategy?
Declare current image a
pharo 1.0 release candidate.

And after a month - make a release.
But, during this month, punish hard those who using older pharo images. :)

> Stef

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 1:11 AM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
2009/9/3 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
> Hi all
>
> I suggest the following:
>        we go over the bug tracker and move to 1.1 all the issues that are
> not showstopper
>        and we declare pharo 1.0 done
>        and we open pharo 1.1 alpha
>
> Does it make sense to you?

Can i suggest another strategy?
Declare current image a
pharo 1.0 release candidate.

And after a month - make a release.
But, during this month, punish hard those who using older pharo images. :)

> Stef

Sounds OK, but I still think it would be wrong to make a release until all tests are green (without cheating!)

Peter

Re: Getting Pharo 1.0 released

csrabak
Em 04/09/2009 20:11, Igor Stasenko < [hidden email] > escreveu:

> 2009/9/3 Stéphane Ducasse :
> > Hi all
> >
> > I suggest  the following: we go  over the bug tracker  and move to
> >        1.1 all the issues that are
> > not showstopper  and we declare pharo  1.0 done and  we open pharo
> >        1.1 alpha
> > Does it make sense to you?
>  Can i suggest another strategy?   Declare current image a pharo 1.0
> release candidate.
>  And after a month - make a release.  But, during this month, punish
> hard those who using older pharo images. :)

So until Pharo 1.0 release we'll stop unthaw the trouts? ;-)

Re: Getting Pharo 1.0 released

BTW there is a call for getting the book translated in Spanish contact
gabi if you want to join
        [hidden email]

for french speaking people ask in the french mailing-list :)
since only a couple of new chapters are there.

Stef

On Sep 4, 2009, at 5:10 PM, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez wrote:

> El vie, 04-09-2009 a las 09:40 +0200, Stéphane Ducasse escribió:
>> On Sep 4, 2009, at 9:03 AM, laurent laffont wrote:
>>

>>> On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I suggest the following:
>>>       we go over the bug tracker and move to 1.1 all the issues
>>> that are
>>> not showstopper
>>>       and we declare pharo 1.0 done
>>>       and we open pharo 1.1 alpha
>>>
>>> Does it make sense to you?
>>> Stef
>>>
>>> Is "Pharo by Example" done ?
>>
>> Yes :)
>
> Hi Stef,
>
> very good news.
> Thanks to all the authors that worked hard to finish it.
>

>>> May be it's a good idea to release both together as a 1.0 version in
>>> the news is a way to attract new developpers and new developpers
>>> need documentation.
>>>

>>> Laurent Laffont
> Miguel Cobá
> http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Getting Pharo 1.0 released

Excellent you should contact jordi delgado since he is teaching
bbotsinc in catalan

On Sep 4, 2009, at 7:10 PM, Daniel P Zepeda wrote:

> On Sep 4, 2009, at 2:40 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>>> Is "Pharo by Example" done ?
>>
>> Yes :)
>
> Really!? Where can we get it? I'm really hot to get my hands on this
> because I'm getting my son started on Squeak by Example after your
> excellent book 'Learning Squeak with Robots' But I want him to learn
> Pharo because the overall goal is to get him into Seaside and Webapps.
> Now would be the perfect time to get this book for us anyway.
>
> Thanks!
>
> P.S.
>
> BTW,
>
> He set up a blog on his own, with pix he created with the ideas he got
> from Learning with Robots:
>

> Sorry, this is a bit off-topic.
>
> DZ

Re: Getting Pharo 1.0 released

> And after a month - make a release.
> But, during this month, punish hard those who using older pharo
> images. :)
>

> > Stef

> Sounds OK, but I still think it would be wrong to make a release
> until all tests are green (without cheating!)

yes but some of them are really difficult to fix.

May be we should do a release candidate soon indeed

Re: Getting Pharo 1.0 released

Marcus Denker-3

On 04.09.2009, at 19:11, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> 2009/9/3 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I suggest the following:
>>        we go over the bug tracker and move to 1.1 all the issues
>> that are
>> not showstopper
>>        and we declare pharo 1.0 done
>>        and we open pharo 1.1 alpha
>>
>> Does it make sense to you?
>
> Can i suggest another strategy?
> Declare current image a
> pharo 1.0 release candidate.
>
> And after a month - make a release.
> But, during this month, punish hard those who using older pharo
> images. :)

Yes, that might be a good idea.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker - http://marcusdenker.de
PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: Getting Pharo 1.0 released

Michael Roberts-2
Hi Stef, I am waiting... he suggested I bug him ;-) which I will do

cheers,
Mike

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 8:51 AM, Stéphane
Ducasse<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Did eliot issue them?
>

>> on the debugger front , Eliot has some fixes so that should move us
>> forwards.
>> Cheers
>> mike

12