Getting Started Guide Errata

smozes
This post was updated on .
Hi. This is on OS X. I'm seeing a few guides, each seems broken in its own way.

TL;DR; the docs guide omits the required step of: mkdir src/_source download 0.12.4 manually.

Here's what I had to go through:

After futile attempts to work with the Wiki guide, I gave up and saw posts stirring users away from it. Okay.

From the docs guide, following the procedure exactly, here I'm trying to start serving from the project directory:

$ amber serve . Using default parameters. Wrong commandline options or not enough arguments for: . Use any of the following ones: --base-path,--fallback-page,--host,--password,--port,--username Warning: project directory is missing an "st" directory Warning: project directory is missing a "js" directory Starting file server on http://127.0.0.1:4000

The doc should be corrected to require the the --base-path flag.

Trying again with --base-path:

example-projects Sivan$ amber serve --base-path . Warning: project directory is missing an "st" directory Warning: project directory is missing a "js" directory Starting file server on http://127.0.0.1:4000

Well, I recall the instructions from the Wiki about making both st and js dirs, but that guide is outdated, and this one does not mention them, so I didn't create them and I ignore the warnings.

Creating the new package:

Object subclass: #Hello instanceVariableNames: '' package: 'HelloApp'

Trying to commit, Helios alert box:

Commiting ./src/_source/HelloApp.st failed with reason: "File could not be created. Did you forget to create the st/js directories on the server?"

In the amber server console:

Error creating WriteStream for file ./src/_source/HelloApp.st Did you forget to create the necessary js/ or st/ directory in your project? The exact error is: Error: ENOENT, open './src/_source/HelloApp.st'

Looking at the src dir:

src/HelloApp.js

Hmm...I can see HelloApp.js was created under the src dir, so maybe the js and st dirs are not longer required (ignoring the warnings) and what it really needs is the src/_source for the st file. Created it, it works.

*The --base-path flag is required for amber serve. The warnings about st and js dirs should be removed. The guide should require a step to create the src/_source dir, and amber should provide the proper warning if absent.*

Re: Getting Started Guide Errata

Herby Vojčík

sivan.mozes wrote:
> Hi. This is on OS X. I'm seeing a few guides, each seems broken in its
> own way.
>
> TL;DR; the docs guide omits the required step of: mkdir src/_source

Exactly the opposite. You should _never_ create that directory. Never!

It's a mapping point which you should map.

> $ amber serve .
> Using default parameters.
> Wrong commandline options or not enough arguments for: .
> Use any of the following ones:
> --base-path,--fallback-page,--host,--password,--port,--username
> Warning: project directory is missing an "st" directory
> Warning: project directory is missing a "js" directory

You must have very old code when you these two warnings.
They are not there anymore.

> *The --base-path flag is required for amber serve.

It isn't, if you start it at right directory.

> The warnings about st and js dirs should be removed.
> The guide should require a step to create the src/_source dir, and
> amber should provide the proper warning if absent.*

Not. _s
ource is just a mapping point, it should _never_ be created physically,
and with current code it is optional.

Herby

P.S.: You should use at least some pages in wiki; like "How to load
amber". It's current and there you learn you mistake on creating _source
directly - it's just a mapping point you should map (from 0.12.4 you
even don't need to; it fallback to .js location, but for 0.12.3, you
have to).

Re: Getting Started Guide Errata

smozes
As of yesterday, the latest release is still the two months old 0.12.3.

0.12.4 isn't published yet so instead of using npm, I downloaded the 0.12.4 zip file manually, expanded and ran bower install there. That worked.

Thanks for the help.

smozes wrote:
> As of yesterday, the latest release is still the two months old 0.12.3.
>
> 0.12.4 isn't published yet so instead of using npm, I downloaded the
> 0.12.4

Yeah, I'm asking Nico to do a release, there are a few useful changes
and some fixes.

> zip file manually, expanded and ran bower install there. That worked.
>
> Thanks for the help.

Re: Getting Started Guide Errata

Nicolas Petton

Herby Vojčík writes:

> Yeah, I'm asking Nico to do a release, there are a few useful changes
> and some fixes.

Yeah, I need to do it. I have no time this week, so maybe this weekend.

Cheers,
Nico

>> zip file manually, expanded and ran bower install there. That worked.
>>
>> Thanks for the help.
>>

>> --

Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Getting Started Guide Errata

Jörg Rade

I'm hit by "Wrong commandline options or not enough arguments for: ." as well.
{code}
C:\bin\NodeJSPortable\Data\rost>amber serve .
Welcome to Amber version 0.15.0-pre (NodeJS 5.7.0).
Using default parameters.
Wrong commandline options or not enough arguments for: .
Use any of the following ones: --base-path,--fallback-page,--host,--password,--port,--username
Starting file server on http://127.0.0.1:4000
{code}

Changes I apply either via Helios (0.6.2) or the legacy IDE get lost, ie. are neither written to *.st nor *.js

What am I doing wrong?

Best regards

On Tuesday, March 18, 2014 at 9:06:32 AM UTC+1, sivan.mozes wrote:
Hi. This is on OS X. I'm seeing a few guides, each seems broken in its own way.

TL;DR; the docs guide omits the required step of: mkdir src/_source

Here's what I had to go through:

After futile attempts to work with the Wiki guide, I gave up and saw posts stirring users away from it. Okay.

From the docs guide, following the procedure exactly, here I'm trying to start serving from the project directory:

Starting file server on <a href="http://127.0.0.1:4000/" rel="nofollow" link="external" style="color:rgb(0,79,135);font-size:1em" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2F127.0.0.1%3A4000%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHOlufa_CNVMVEJmATrCkVMBwGt8A&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2F127.0.0.1%3A4000%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHOlufa_CNVMVEJmATrCkVMBwGt8A&#39;;return true;">http://127.0.0.1:4000

[...]

Had problems with my mail server, not seeing mail since Friday.

Don't use getting started guide, it's hopelessly out of date.

Use README of amber repo (lolg.it/amber/amber).

Herby

Herby Vojčík wrote:
> Had problems with my mail server, not seeing mail since Friday.
>
> Don't use getting started guide, it's hopelessly out of date.
>
> Use README of amber repo (lolg.it/amber/amber).
>
> Herby

Also, just to be up to date with tooling as well, upgrade the cli with

   npm -g install amber-cli