Getting Started on Windows

areichow
Thought I'd share the steps I followed to get Redline working on Windows: asdfasdf

1> wget https://github.com/redline-smalltalk/redline-smalltalk.github.com/raw/master/assets/redline-deploy.zip
2> unzip redline-deploy.zip -d redline
3> cd redline
4> set REDLINE_HOME=%CD%
5> stic HelloWorld

Though plenty of users might not have those tools installed- wget as a part of Cygwin, unzip is Info-ZIP UnZip 5.52 in my general binary folder. You could replace the first three steps with something like:

1. Download https://github.com/redline-smalltalk/redline-smalltalk.github.com/raw/master/assets/redline-deploy.zip
2. Extract redline-deploy.zip to a folder.
3. Open a CMD window in the folder in which redline-deploy.zip was extracted.

I'd recommend to stic.bat be changed so that this line:

for %%i in (lib\*.jar) do set the_classpath=!the_classpath!%%i;

was changed to:

for %%i in (%~dp0\lib\*.jar) do set the_classpath=!the_classpath!%%i;

That way, you can run stic.bat successfully regardless of the working directory. After that change, I was able to run the tests in the git repo I'd cloned (HelloWorld.st, SimpleHelloWorld.st, Web.st). For what it's worth, Web.st ran without error, but didn't appear to do anything- haven't attempted to track down whether that's a Windows issue or if it just doesn't work yet.

Can't wait to see more activity on Redline- looks good!

Regards,
Aaron

Re: Getting Started on Windows

James Ladd
Hi Aaron,

Thank you for taking the time to post this. I'm hoping our Windows
users don't feel neglected.

When you run Web.st open your browser and goto http://localhost:8080/
and it will invoke the Web app. YES - Redline Smalltalk comes with a
'sinatra' like web
server. We call it 'STout'

Rgs, James.

On Aug 2, 2:04 am, Aaron Reichow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thought I'd share the steps I followed to get Redline working on Windows:
> asdfasdf
>
> 1> wgethttps://github.com/redline-smalltalk/redline-smalltalk.github.com/raw...
> 2> unzip redline-deploy.zip -d redline
> 3> cd redline
> 4> set REDLINE_HOME=%CD%
> 5> stic HelloWorld
>
> Though plenty of users might not have those tools installed- wget as a part
> of Cygwin, unzip is Info-ZIP UnZip 5.52 in my general binary folder. You
> could replace the first three steps with something like:
>
> 1. Downloadhttps://github.com/redline-smalltalk/redline-smalltalk.github.com/raw...
> 2. Extract redline-deploy.zip to a folder.
> 3. Open a CMD window in the folder in which redline-deploy.zip was
> extracted.
>
> I'd recommend to stic.bat be changed so that this line:
>
> for %%i in (lib\*.jar) do set the_classpath=!the_classpath!%%i;
>
> was changed to:
>
> for %%i in (%~dp0\lib\*.jar) do set the_classpath=!the_classpath!%%i;
>
> That way, you can run stic.bat successfully regardless of the working
> directory. After that change, I was able to run the tests in the git repo
> I'd cloned (HelloWorld.st, SimpleHelloWorld.st, Web.st). For what it's
> worth, Web.st ran without error, but didn't appear to do anything- haven't
> attempted to track down whether that's a Windows issue or if it just
> doesn't work yet.
>
> Can't wait to see more activity on Redline- looks good!
>
> Regards,
> Aaron

Re: Getting Started on Windows

SeanTAllen
Hi Aaron,

Can you fork the project, make those changes and then do a pull request?

Thanks,
Sean

Aaron

Aaron

Re: Getting Started on Windows

James Ladd
If you get stuck you can just email me the files - pls give it a go

Sent from Hyperspace.