Getting Started with SeasideAsync (or Scriptaculous?)

Getting Started with SeasideAsync (or Scriptaculous?)

Carl Gundel
Hi,

I'm thinking of trying to use SeasideAsync, but I'm not sure if it does what
I need or even how to get started.

Here's what I'm thinking.  I do not want my application to use the back
button.  Instead I'd like to keep the same page up and reload only certain
parts of a page as needed.  Is this what SeasideAsync is suppose to
accomplish?  Or do I need something more like Scriptaculous?  I've looked
around a bit but haven't found  good starter materials for either of these.

Thanks,

-Carl Gundel, author of Liberty BASIC
http://www.libertybasic.com

Re: Getting Started with SeasideAsync (or Scriptaculous?)

Philippe Marschall
2006/10/20, Carl Gundel <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of trying to use SeasideAsync, but I'm not sure if it does what
> I need or even how to get started.
>
> Here's what I'm thinking.  I do not want my application to use the back
> button.  Instead I'd like to keep the same page up and reload only certain
> parts of a page as needed.  Is this what SeasideAsync is suppose to
> accomplish?  Or do I need something more like Scriptaculous?  I've looked
> around a bit but haven't found  good starter materials for either of these.

Hi

Can you be a bit more specific? When should what be changed?

Scriptaculous

There's the presentation at ESUG from Lukas
http://www.esug.org/data/ESUG2006/pres/seasideweb20.pdf
There should be more from him a his webpage but I can't find it.

Ramon wrote some blog posts about it:
http://onsmalltalk.com/programming/smalltalk/ajax-how-to-build-cascading-dialogs-in-seaside/
http://onsmalltalk.com/programming/smalltalk/scriptaculous-updater/
http://onsmalltalk.com/programming/smalltalk/polling-for-long-running-processes/

SeasideAsync

There's an old tutorial from Lukas:
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/smalltalk/seaside/presentation/03.pdf

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Getting Started with SeasideAsync (or Scriptaculous?)

Michel Bany
Hi Carl,

> Here's what I'm thinking.  I do not want my application to use the
> back
> button.  Instead I'd like to keep the same page up and reload only
> certain
> parts of a page as needed.  Is this what SeasideAsync is suppose to
> accomplish?  Or do I need something more like Scriptaculous?  I've
> looked
> around a bit but haven't found  good starter materials for either
> of these.

I must confess that I do not see the relationship between the use of the
back button and the live update of only certains parts of a page.

If you only need live updates, then I would say that SeasideAsync
would do
the work, but no more. Scriptaculous is more ambitious and more heavy
weight.
Seaside supports live updates of multiple areas in the page as well
as nesting
of live updated areas and is available for both the classic and the
canvas api's.

If you load SeasideAsync into your image, you will find some
examples. You may
want to use those examples to get started.

HTH,
Michel