Getting a segfault on vm built from sources on gentoo Linux on an amd64

Getting a segfault on vm built from sources on gentoo Linux on an amd64

Miles Georgi

Hi, I seem to be having trouble getting squeak to run on one of my machines.

It's an amd64 running gentoo Linux with x86_64 as the architecture.

If I build Squeak from the current sources I get the following segfault:

miles@salmon ~/src/Squeak-3.9-8 $ squeak Squeak3.9-final-7067.image

Segmentation fault

16405880 >?
16256940 SmalltalkImage>snapshot:andQuit:embedded:
16256824 SmalltalkImage>snapshot:andQuit:
16256396 SmalltalkImage>saveImageInFileNamed:
16246520 SmalltalkImage>saveAs
16246336 TheWorldMenu>doMenuItem:with:
16246244 [] in MenuItemMorph>invokeWithEvent:
16246152 BlockContext>ensure:
16246060 Cursor>showWhile:
16245968 MenuItemMorph>invokeWithEvent:
16245876 MenuItemMorph>mouseUp:
16245784 MenuItemMorph>handleMouseUp:
16245652 MouseButtonEvent>sentTo:
16245560 Morph>handleEvent:
16245468 MorphicEventDispatcher>dispatchDefault:with:
16245376 MorphicEventDispatcher>dispatchEvent:with:
16245284 Morph>processEvent:using:
16245192 MorphicEventDispatcher>dispatchDefault:with:
16245084 MorphicEventDispatcher>dispatchEvent:with:
16244952 Morph>processEvent:using:
16244860 Morph>processEvent:
16244768 MenuMorph>handleFocusEvent:
16244492 [] in HandMorph>sendFocusEvent:to:clear:
16244584 [] in PasteUpMorph>becomeActiveDuring:
16244400 BlockContext>on:do:
16244308 PasteUpMorph>becomeActiveDuring:
16244124 HandMorph>sendFocusEvent:to:clear:
16244032 HandMorph>sendEvent:focus:clear:
16243940 HandMorph>sendMouseEvent:
16243796 HandMorph>handleEvent:
16243540 HandMorph>processEvents
16243632 [] in WorldState>doOneCycleNowFor:
16243448 SequenceableCollection>do:
16243356 WorldState>handsDo:
16243264 WorldState>doOneCycleNowFor:
16243172 WorldState>doOneCycleFor:
16243080 PasteUpMorph>doOneCycle
15589312 [] in >spawnNewProcess
15589496 [] in BlockContext>newProcess
Aborted
miles@salmon ~/src/Squeak-3.9-8 $

If I try using the i686-pc-linux-gnu download, I have to force it to
use that architecture, and then I get the following error:

miles@salmon ~/src/Squeak-3.9-8 $ squeak Squeak3.9-final-7067.image
could not find display driver vm-display-X11; either:
  - check that /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.9-8/vm-display-X11.so exists, or
  - use the '-plugins <path>' option to tell me where it is, or
  - remove DISPLAY from your environment.
Aborted

I do have the file at /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.9-8/vm-display-X11 but
it doesn't end in .so  I'm not sure if that's OK or not.

if it is needed, config.guess outputs:
salmon Squeak-3.9-8 # ./config.guess
x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

On some tangent questions:

Also, is inisqueak now obsolete?  The i686 installer didn't include
one (but it did include the man page for it) and the source install
built one but didn't install it.  And if I try to run it from the
build directory it doesn't behave as described in the man file.

I also get this error when running make uninstall:

salmon bld # make uninstall
if test -n ""; then \
          /bin/sh
/home/miles/src/Squeak-3.9-8/platforms/unix/config/uninstall ; \
        fi
rm -f /usr/local/squeak/lib/squeak/3.9-8/squeak
rm -f /usr/local/squeak/bin/squeak
rmdir /usr/local/squeak/bin
/bin/sh: -c: line 6: syntax error: unexpected end of file
make: *** [uninstall-plugins] Error 2
salmon bld #

Hopefully this information is useful.  If you would like me to do
anything to give you more information about any of the situations
mentioned above, just let me know.

Re: Getting a segfault on vm built from sources on gentoo Linux on an amd64

David T. Lewis

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 01:47:36AM -0800, Miles Georgi wrote:

> Hi, I seem to be having trouble getting squeak to run on one of my machines.
>
> It's an amd64 running gentoo Linux with x86_64 as the architecture.

Here is what I do:
  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2007-December/001703.html

Use the most up to date sources from Subversion on squeakvm.org also.

> If I build Squeak from the current sources I get the following segfault:
>
> miles@salmon ~/src/Squeak-3.9-8 $ squeak Squeak3.9-final-7067.image
>
> Segmentation fault
>
> 16405880 >?
> 16256940 SmalltalkImage>snapshot:andQuit:embedded:

If you follow the recipe above, it should work fine. However, if you
are still getting seg faults, try running your vm under a debugger
(gdb, ddd, etc). When it dies, the debugger will show you where it's
happening.  Sometimes that is enough to point you to the problem.

Dave

Re: Getting a segfault on vm built from sources on gentoo Linux on an amd64

Miles Georgi

David, thanks, I'll give that a try

I did use a debugger to see where it died and it didn't really reveal
much.  It actually looked quite odd that it died where and why it did.

I won't bother posting information about that until I have given your
approach a try

Thanks again!

MIles

On 12/19/07, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 01:47:36AM -0800, Miles Georgi wrote:
> >
> > Hi, I seem to be having trouble getting squeak to run on one of my machines.
> >
> > It's an amd64 running gentoo Linux with x86_64 as the architecture.
>
> Here is what I do:
>   http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2007-December/001703.html
>
> Use the most up to date sources from Subversion on squeakvm.org also.
>
> > If I build Squeak from the current sources I get the following segfault:
> >
> > miles@salmon ~/src/Squeak-3.9-8 $ squeak Squeak3.9-final-7067.image
> >
> > Segmentation fault
> >
> > 16405880 >?
> > 16256940 SmalltalkImage>snapshot:andQuit:embedded:
>
> If you follow the recipe above, it should work fine. However, if you
> are still getting seg faults, try running your vm under a debugger
> (gdb, ddd, etc). When it dies, the debugger will show you where it's
> happening.  Sometimes that is enough to point you to the problem.
>
> Dave

Re: Getting a segfault on vm built from sources on gentoo Linux on an amd64

Miles Georgi

David, the link to the final attatchment in the archive you listed
above for step 7
(http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2007-November/001675.html)
looks garbled.

I'm assuming I can get the file by just replacing the filename in the
previous url with
platforms-unix-plugins-AsynchFilePlugin-sqUnixAsynchFile.c.diff but I
figured I'd give you a heads up incase you hadn't noticed that before.

Oh, and building from the svn source got me passed all of the
segfaults I was having before, thanks again!