Getting coherent shortcuts

Guillermo Polito
Hi all,

Since a week, I'm back to using linux (debian) due to a new job. And it
became SOOOO evident that the shortcuts are wrongly configured, that I
actually cannot work!

Sometimes windows are closed with ctrl w, sometimes with alt w. Nautilus
is used with alt, playgrounds with ctrl...

So, since today I was able to commit again, I decided to make a couple
of slices/new configurations fixing the majority of shortcuts in the
image. Like this, mac shortcuts will remain in cmd, but linux and
windows shortcuts will be with ctrl, as expected by the vast majority of
users :). The changes I made should fix 97.8882% of the shortcut
experience in linux and windows, without degrading the one in mac. Of
course, if you see any glitch, just tell.

I had to touch several packages, which some are not in the Pharo
repository. For this I prepared several issues for the monkey:

*Slice -
SLICE-Issue-17552-In-Linux-some-shortcuts-use-alt-some-others-ctrl-GuillermoPolito.2
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/17552/In-Linux-some-shortcuts-use-alt-some-others-ctrl

*Rubric - 2.7
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/17558/Update-Rubric-In-Linux-some-shortcuts-use-alt-some-others-ctrl

*DependencyAnalyzer - 1.15
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/17557/Update-DependencyAnalyzer-In-Linux-some-shortcuts-use-alt-some-others-ctrl

*FastTable - 0.10
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/17555/Update-FastTable-In-Linux-some-shortcuts-use-alt-some-others-ctrl

*TxText - 2.12.2
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/17556/Update-TxText-In-Linux-some-shortcuts-use-alt-some-others-ctrl

Also, I did some changes in Glamour and GTSpotter, but I have no
permissions to commit there. How do we do to commit in those packages?
Should I ask for permissions or is there any other process in place?

Guille

Re: Getting coherent shortcuts

Nicolai Hess-3-2

[...]

With this, ctrl+m for sendersOfIt will not work in Rubric components in Nautilus / MessageBrowser for windows, because the current windows (spur-) vm
does not recognized ctrl+m as a keachar event.

*DependencyAnalyzer - 1.15
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/17557/Update-DependencyAnalyzer-In-Linux-some-shortcuts-use-alt-some-others-ctrl

*FastTable - 0.10
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/17555/Update-FastTable-In-Linux-some-shortcuts-use-alt-some-others-ctrl

*TxText - 2.12.2
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/17556/Update-TxText-In-Linux-some-shortcuts-use-alt-some-others-ctrl

Also, I did some changes in Glamour and GTSpotter, but I have no permissions to commit there. How do we do to commit in those packages? Should I ask for permissions or is there any other process in place?

Guille

Re: Getting coherent shortcuts

CyrilFerlicot

On 09/02/2016 15:50, Guille Polito wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Since a week, I'm back to using linux (debian) due to a new job. And it
> became SOOOO evident that the shortcuts are wrongly configured, that I
> actually cannot work!
>
> Sometimes windows are closed with ctrl w, sometimes with alt w. Nautilus
> is used with alt, playgrounds with ctrl...
>
> So, since today I was able to commit again, I decided to make a couple
> of slices/new configurations fixing the majority of shortcuts in the
> image. Like this, mac shortcuts will remain in cmd, but linux and
> windows shortcuts will be with ctrl, as expected by the vast majority of
> users :). The changes I made should fix 97.8882% of the shortcut
> experience in linux and windows, without degrading the one in mac. Of
> course, if you see any glitch, just tell.
>
> I had to touch several packages, which some are not in the Pharo
> repository. For this I prepared several issues for the monkey:
>
> *Slice -
> SLICE-Issue-17552-In-Linux-some-shortcuts-use-alt-some-others-ctrl-GuillermoPolito.2
>
> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/17552/In-Linux-some-shortcuts-use-alt-some-others-ctrl
>

> *Rubric - 2.7
> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/17558/Update-Rubric-In-Linux-some-shortcuts-use-alt-some-others-ctrl
>

> *DependencyAnalyzer - 1.15
> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/17557/Update-DependencyAnalyzer-In-Linux-some-shortcuts-use-alt-some-others-ctrl
>

> *FastTable - 0.10
> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/17555/Update-FastTable-In-Linux-some-shortcuts-use-alt-some-others-ctrl
>

> *TxText - 2.12.2
> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/17556/Update-TxText-In-Linux-some-shortcuts-use-alt-some-others-ctrl
>

> Also, I did some changes in Glamour and GTSpotter, but I have no
> permissions to commit there. How do we do to commit in those packages?
> Should I ask for permissions or is there any other process in place?
>
> Guille

You even made the configurations yourself! Perfect :)

Thank you!

--
Cyril Ferlicot

http://www.synectique.eu

165 Avenue Bretagne
Lille 59000 France

Re: Getting coherent shortcuts

stepharo

Le 9/2/16 15:50, Guille Polito a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> Since a week, I'm back to using linux (debian) due to a new job. And
> it became SOOOO evident that the shortcuts are wrongly configured,
> that I actually cannot work!
>
> Sometimes windows are closed with ctrl w, sometimes with alt w.
> Nautilus is used with alt, playgrounds with ctrl...
>
> So, since today I was able to commit again, I decided to make a couple
> of slices/new configurations fixing the majority of shortcuts in the
> image.

THANKS!!!!!

> Like this, mac shortcuts will remain in cmd, but linux and windows
> shortcuts will be with ctrl, as expected by the vast majority of users
> :). The changes I made should fix 97.8882% of the shortcut experience
> in linux and windows, without degrading the one in mac. Of course, if
> you see any glitch, just tell.
>
> I had to touch several packages, which some are not in the Pharo
> repository. For this I prepared several issues for the monkey:
>
> *Slice -
> SLICE-Issue-17552-In-Linux-some-shortcuts-use-alt-some-others-ctrl-GuillermoPolito.2
> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/17552/In-Linux-some-shortcuts-use-alt-some-others-ctrl
>

> *Rubric - 2.7
> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/17558/Update-Rubric-In-Linux-some-shortcuts-use-alt-some-others-ctrl
>

> *DependencyAnalyzer - 1.15
> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/17557/Update-DependencyAnalyzer-In-Linux-some-shortcuts-use-alt-some-others-ctrl
>

> *FastTable - 0.10
> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/17555/Update-FastTable-In-Linux-some-shortcuts-use-alt-some-others-ctrl
>

> *TxText - 2.12.2
> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/17556/Update-TxText-In-Linux-some-shortcuts-use-alt-some-others-ctrl
>

> Also, I did some changes in Glamour and GTSpotter, but I have no
> permissions to commit there. How do we do to commit in those packages?
> Should I ask for permissions or is there any other process in place?
>
> Guille

Re: Getting coherent shortcuts

Guillermo Polito
Esteban was telling me that he is going to re-integrate the VM fixes to
the shortcuts for windows soon.

On 02/09/2016 04:48 PM, stepharo wrote:

> Le 9/2/16 15:50, Guille Polito a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Since a week, I'm back to using linux (debian) due to a new job. And
>> it became SOOOO evident that the shortcuts are wrongly configured,
>> that I actually cannot work!
>>
>> Sometimes windows are closed with ctrl w, sometimes with alt w.
>> Nautilus is used with alt, playgrounds with ctrl...
>>
>> So, since today I was able to commit again, I decided to make a
>> couple of slices/new configurations fixing the majority of shortcuts
>> in the image.
>
> THANKS!!!!!
>
>> Like this, mac shortcuts will remain in cmd, but linux and windows
>> shortcuts will be with ctrl, as expected by the vast majority of
>> users :). The changes I made should fix 97.8882% of the shortcut
>> experience in linux and windows, without degrading the one in mac. Of
>> course, if you see any glitch, just tell.
>>
>> I had to touch several packages, which some are not in the Pharo
>> repository. For this I prepared several issues for the monkey:
>>
>> *Slice -
>> SLICE-Issue-17552-In-Linux-some-shortcuts-use-alt-some-others-ctrl-GuillermoPolito.2
>> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/17552/In-Linux-some-shortcuts-use-alt-some-others-ctrl
>>

>> *Rubric - 2.7
>> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/17558/Update-Rubric-In-Linux-some-shortcuts-use-alt-some-others-ctrl
>>

>> *DependencyAnalyzer - 1.15
>> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/17557/Update-DependencyAnalyzer-In-Linux-some-shortcuts-use-alt-some-others-ctrl
>>

>> *FastTable - 0.10
>> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/17555/Update-FastTable-In-Linux-some-shortcuts-use-alt-some-others-ctrl
>>

>> *TxText - 2.12.2
>> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/17556/Update-TxText-In-Linux-some-shortcuts-use-alt-some-others-ctrl
>>

>> Also, I did some changes in Glamour and GTSpotter, but I have no
>> permissions to commit there. How do we do to commit in those
>> packages? Should I ask for permissions or is there any other process
>> in place?
>>
>> Guille

Re: Getting coherent shortcuts

Damien Cassou-2
Guille Polito <[hidden email]> writes:

> So, since today I was able to commit again, I decided to make a couple
> of slices/new configurations fixing the majority of shortcuts in the
> image. Like this, mac shortcuts will remain in cmd, but linux and
> windows shortcuts will be with ctrl, as expected by the vast majority of
> users :). The changes I made should fix 97.8882% of the shortcut
> experience in linux and windows, without degrading the one in mac. Of
> course, if you see any glitch, just tell.

thank you very much!

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: Getting coherent shortcuts

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 09 Feb 2016, at 17:31, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Guille Polito <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> So, since today I was able to commit again, I decided to make a couple
>> of slices/new configurations fixing the majority of shortcuts in the
>> image. Like this, mac shortcuts will remain in cmd, but linux and
>> windows shortcuts will be with ctrl, as expected by the vast majority of
>> users :). The changes I made should fix 97.8882% of the shortcut
>> experience in linux and windows, without degrading the one in mac. Of
>> course, if you see any glitch, just tell.
>
> thank you very much!

+ 10 !

> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
> losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: Getting coherent shortcuts

Tudor Girba-2
This is great!

Doru

> On Feb 9, 2016, at 7:10 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 09 Feb 2016, at 17:31, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Guille Polito <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> So, since today I was able to commit again, I decided to make a couple
>>> of slices/new configurations fixing the majority of shortcuts in the
>>> image. Like this, mac shortcuts will remain in cmd, but linux and
>>> windows shortcuts will be with ctrl, as expected by the vast majority of
>>> users :). The changes I made should fix 97.8882% of the shortcut
>>> experience in linux and windows, without degrading the one in mac. Of
>>> course, if you see any glitch, just tell.
>>
>> thank you very much!
>
> + 10 !
>
>> --
>> Damien Cassou
>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>
>> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
>> losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

“Live like you mean it."

Re: Getting coherent shortcuts

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 09/02/16 15:50, Guille Polito wrote:
> Also, I did some changes in Glamour and GTSpotter, but I have no
> permissions to commit there. How do we do to commit in those packages?
> Should I ask for permissions or is there any other process in place?

There's a magical process by which you complain in the mailing list and
then suddenly are able to commit.

Stephan

Re: Getting coherent shortcuts

Tudor Girba-2
Thanks Stephan :).

@Guille: Stephan just added you to the SmalltalkHub repository.

Could you ping me when you commit so that I can review?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"No matter how many recipes we know, we still value a chef."

Re: Getting coherent shortcuts

Guillermo Polito
Cool, thanks! (I thought nobody had read that part of the email because
of the flood of answers :))

Doru, I made the following commits to the Glamour and GToolkit
repositories. I let you manage the integration/merge/configurations. If
you have any comments, go on ^^

Name: Glamour-Core-GuillermoPolito.312
Author: GuillermoPolito
Time: 9 February 2016, 3:35:00.429222 pm
UUID: 7b5e7388-3e60-4500-ad80-8fa51e3e55c3
Ancestors: Glamour-Core-AndreiChis.311

Coherent Shortcuts - big pass

Name: GT-Spotter-GuillermoPolito.356
Author: GuillermoPolito
Time: 10 February 2016, 3:08:08.471892 pm
UUID: 92142dbd-9a1e-461f-a1f8-5716d85be62a
Ancestors: GT-Spotter-AliakseiSyrel.355

Coherent Shortcuts - big pass

Name: Glamour-Morphic-Widgets-GuillermoPolito.190
Author: GuillermoPolito
Time: 9 February 2016, 3:35:06.355081 pm
UUID: 1dd0f9e4-9776-4eb5-b449-ea21e9c1cd24
Ancestors: Glamour-Morphic-Widgets-AndreiChis.189

Coherent Shortcuts - big pass

Name: Glamour-Tests-Morphic-GuillermoPolito.136
Author: GuillermoPolito
Time: 9 February 2016, 3:35:00.874947 pm
UUID: ba1deabc-2e70-4a7d-bd91-55be918ee0bb
Ancestors: Glamour-Tests-Morphic-EstebanLorenzano.135

Coherent Shortcuts - big pass

Name: Glamour-Tests-Rubric-GuillermoPolito.20
Author: GuillermoPolito
Time: 9 February 2016, 3:35:05.73715 pm
UUID: 6d6e6bcf-8ead-4492-9aef-fa582417b1f9
Ancestors: Glamour-Tests-Rubric-AndreiChis.19

On 02/09/2016 11:32 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Thanks Stephan :).
>
> @Guille: Stephan just added you to the SmalltalkHub repository.
>
> Could you ping me when you commit so that I can review?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

>> On Feb 9, 2016, at 11:25 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 09/02/16 15:50, Guille Polito wrote:
>>> Also, I did some changes in Glamour and GTSpotter, but I have no
>>> permissions to commit there. How do we do to commit in those packages?
>>> Should I ask for permissions or is there any other process in place?
>> There's a magical process by which you complain in the mailing list and then suddenly are able to commit.
>>
>> Stephan
>>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "No matter how many recipes we know, we still value a chef."

Re: Getting coherent shortcuts

Damien Cassou-2
Guille Polito <[hidden email]> writes:

> I had to touch several packages, which some are not in the Pharo
> repository. For this I prepared several issues for the monkey:

In the TestRunner, on Linux, when I press Ctrl+a to select everything,
nothing is selected. I have to press Alt+a which is not a standard Linux
shortcut for selecting everything.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: Getting coherent shortcuts

Guillermo Polito
I'm not sure I've fixed all shortcuts ever :). Only the ones using
keymappings.

In any case, the issue that is fixing most of the things is not yet
integrated because there are failing tests:

On 02/12/2016 01:55 PM, Damien Cassou wrote:
> Guille Polito <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> I had to touch several packages, which some are not in the Pharo
>> repository. For this I prepared several issues for the monkey:
> In the TestRunner, on Linux, when I press Ctrl+a to select everything,
> nothing is selected. I have to press Alt+a which is not a standard Linux
> shortcut for selecting everything.

Re: Getting coherent shortcuts

Tudor Girba-2
Thanks. I went over the commits. As I said in the issue, it seems that using a shortcut like
        arrow + meta + shift
does not work on Mac. Any idea why?

In the meantime, I reverted the problematic shortcuts from Spotter (for example, dive in category).

Cheers,
Doru

> On Feb 10, 2016, at 3:17 PM, Guille Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Cool, thanks! (I thought nobody had read that part of the email because of the flood of answers :))
>
> Doru, I made the following commits to the Glamour and GToolkit repositories. I let you manage the integration/merge/configurations. If you have any comments, go on ^^
>
> Name: Glamour-Core-GuillermoPolito.312
> Author: GuillermoPolito
> Time: 9 February 2016, 3:35:00.429222 pm
> UUID: 7b5e7388-3e60-4500-ad80-8fa51e3e55c3
> Ancestors: Glamour-Core-AndreiChis.311
>
> Coherent Shortcuts - big pass
>

> Name: GT-Spotter-GuillermoPolito.356
> Author: GuillermoPolito
> Time: 10 February 2016, 3:08:08.471892 pm
> UUID: 92142dbd-9a1e-461f-a1f8-5716d85be62a
> Ancestors: GT-Spotter-AliakseiSyrel.355
>
> Coherent Shortcuts - big pass
>

> Name: Glamour-Morphic-Widgets-GuillermoPolito.190
> Author: GuillermoPolito
> Time: 9 February 2016, 3:35:06.355081 pm
> UUID: 1dd0f9e4-9776-4eb5-b449-ea21e9c1cd24
> Ancestors: Glamour-Morphic-Widgets-AndreiChis.189
>
> Coherent Shortcuts - big pass
>

> Name: Glamour-Tests-Morphic-GuillermoPolito.136
> Author: GuillermoPolito
> Time: 9 February 2016, 3:35:00.874947 pm
> UUID: ba1deabc-2e70-4a7d-bd91-55be918ee0bb
> Ancestors: Glamour-Tests-Morphic-EstebanLorenzano.135
>
> Coherent Shortcuts - big pass
>

> Name: Glamour-Tests-Rubric-GuillermoPolito.20
> Author: GuillermoPolito
> Time: 9 February 2016, 3:35:05.73715 pm
> UUID: 6d6e6bcf-8ead-4492-9aef-fa582417b1f9
> Ancestors: Glamour-Tests-Rubric-AndreiChis.19
>
> Coherent Shortcuts - big pass
>

> On 02/09/2016 11:32 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>> Thanks Stephan :).
>>
>> @Guille: Stephan just added you to the SmalltalkHub repository.
>>
>> Could you ping me when you commit so that I can review?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru

>>> There's a magical process by which you complain in the mailing list and then suddenly are able to commit.
>>>
>>> Stephan
>>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>> www.feenk.com
>>
>> "No matter how many recipes we know, we still value a chef."

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Problem solving should be focused on describing
the problem in a way that makes the solution obvious."