Getting feedback on an headless VM

Simon Denier-3
Hi there

I'm trying to run a VM in headless mode on a linux server (version 3.10-3 #32 Wed Apr  8 19:55:11 BST 2009 gcc 4.1.2).

After struggling a bit to found a recent VM (that is, closure-enabled), now I can launch it with the following command:
exec "$EXE/squeak" \
        -plugins "$RES" \
        -encoding latin1 \
        -vm-display-null \
        "$APP/testServer.image"

Problem is the process starts but obviously got stuck after that. I got no feedback on what's going wrong (I guess some error happens and the system is waiting for user input).

I tried with a fresh 10500 image and the simplest script I could think of to test:
(FileStream forceNewFileNamed: 'foo.txt') nextPutAll: 'bar'; close

....same thing.

Of course it works on my local machine with UI.

Is there a way to debug this, like having the debugger to dump the stack in the terminal. I tried Cmd-.  but it just stops the process (like Ctrl-c) with no feedback.

--
 Simon

Re: Getting feedback on an headless VM

Mariano Martinez Peck
I saw this problem several times. I think I good idea is to have RFB running. You should add RFB server to the startUp list, but here, you have several problems:

1) If you put it at the end, it will probably never executed because the image get stuck before that

2) put it before in the list, but where?  what should be started before so that RFB can run ok ?

3) if the problem is before that (in case 2) it even doesn't help.

I remember Esteban Lorenzano has a similar problem some time ago. You can surf the mailing list and see if you find something useful.

BTW, did you check if there isn't a PharoDebug.log ?  there is no output in the console ?

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Simon Denier <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010, Simon Denier wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I'm trying to run a VM in headless mode on a linux server (version 3.10-3 #32 Wed Apr  8 19:55:11 BST 2009 gcc 4.1.2).

You won't be able to run Pharo on that VM, because it's pre-closure. You
need 3.10-6 or later.

Levente

On 18 janv. 2010, at 16:58, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jan 2010, Simon Denier wrote:
>
>> Hi there
>>
>> I'm trying to run a VM in headless mode on a linux server (version 3.10-3 #32 Wed Apr  8 19:55:11 BST 2009 gcc 4.1.2).
>>

> You won't be able to run Pharo on that VM, because it's pre-closure. You
> need 3.10-6 or later.

ah ok, I though it was. Thanks for the tip, now I will try to compile my own vm (which didnt work out last week).

Or, does anybody have a Linux VM already compiled which is closure-enabled?

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

>> ah ok, I though it was. Thanks for the tip, now I will try to compile my
>> own vm (which didnt work out last week).
>>
>> Or, does anybody have a Linux VM already compiled which is closure-enabled?

http://squeakvm.org/unix/

Levente

On 18 janv. 2010, at 17:43, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

ah ok, I though it was. Thanks for the tip, now I will try to compile my own vm (which didnt work out last week).

Or, does anybody have a Linux VM already compiled which is closure-enabled?

:) I know this link, and I started there. Unfortunately the binary (in alternative) is also a 3.10.3 so no closure. And compiling is not so easy as it could be.

> Levente
>
>> After struggling a bit to found a recent VM (that is, closure-enabled), now I can launch it with the following command:
>> exec "$EXE/squeak" \
>>      -plugins "$RES" \
>>      -encoding latin1 \
>>      -vm-display-null \
>>      "$APP/testServer.image"
>>
>> Problem is the process starts but obviously got stuck after that. I got no feedback on what's going wrong (I guess some error happens and the system is waiting for user input).
>>
>> I tried with a fresh 10500 image and the simplest script I could think of to test:
>> (FileStream forceNewFileNamed: 'foo.txt') nextPutAll: 'bar'; close
>>
>> ....same thing.
>>
>> Of course it works on my local machine with UI.
>>
>> Is there a way to debug this, like having the debugger to dump the stack in the terminal. I tried Cmd-.  but it just stops the process (like Ctrl-c) with no feedback.
>>

>> --
>> Simon

 Simon

 Simon

Re: Getting feedback on an headless VM

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010, Simon Denier wrote:

> On 18 janv. 2010, at 17:43, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>

>> ah ok, I though it was. Thanks for the tip, now I will try to compile my own vm (which didnt work out last week).
>>
>> Or, does anybody have a Linux VM already compiled which is closure-enabled?
>>

>> http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download
>>

> :) I know this link, and I started there. Unfortunately the binary (in alternative) is also a 3.10.3 so no closure. And compiling is not so easy as it could be.

Did you try this one?
http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-3.11.3.2135-linux_i386.tar.gz

Levente

>>> Levente

>> --
>>  Simon

> Simon

Re: Getting feedback on an headless VM

Lukas Renggli
> Problem is the process starts but obviously got stuck after that. I got no feedback on what's going wrong (I guess some error happens and the system is waiting for user input).

Presumably it cannot find the sources or changes file, or their
permissions are wrong.

More details you can find in the Seaside book. Not that this is not
particularly related to Seaside, but it contains all essentials to run
a VM headless:

   http://book.seaside.st/book/advanced/deployment/deployment-apache/run-vm

Lukas

> I tried with a fresh 10500 image and the simplest script I could think of to test:
> (FileStream forceNewFileNamed: 'foo.txt') nextPutAll: 'bar'; close
>
> ....same thing.
>
> Of course it works on my local machine with UI.
>
> Is there a way to debug this, like having the debugger to dump the stack in the terminal. I tried Cmd-.  but it just stops the process (like Ctrl-c) with no feedback.
>

> --
>  Simon

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

2010/1/18 Simon Denier <[hidden email]>

On 18 janv. 2010, at 17:43, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

ah ok, I though it was. Thanks for the tip, now I will try to compile my own vm (which didnt work out last week).

Or, does anybody have a Linux VM already compiled which is closure-enabled?

:) I know this link, and I started there. Unfortunately the binary (in alternative) is also a 3.10.3 so no closure. And compiling is not so easy as it could be.

mmmmmmm someone changed that? As far as I remebember, it has pointing to a closure enable vm one month ago (I used it in a linux box).

we need to change this link in the website

Wierd....anyway, did  you try the exupery vm simon ? it should work, too.

Cheers

> Levente
>
>> After struggling a bit to found a recent VM (that is, closure-enabled), now I can launch it with the following command:
>> exec "$EXE/squeak" \
>>      -plugins "$RES" \
>>      -encoding latin1 \
>>      -vm-display-null \
>>      "$APP/testServer.image"
>>
>> Problem is the process starts but obviously got stuck after that. I got no feedback on what's going wrong (I guess some error happens and the system is waiting for user input).
>>
>> I tried with a fresh 10500 image and the simplest script I could think of to test:
>> (FileStream forceNewFileNamed: 'foo.txt') nextPutAll: 'bar'; close
>>
>> ....same thing.
>>
>> Of course it works on my local machine with UI.
>>
>> Is there a way to debug this, like having the debugger to dump the stack in the terminal. I tried Cmd-.  but it just stops the process (like Ctrl-c) with no feedback.
>>

>> --
>> Simon

 Simon

 Simon

Re: Getting feedback on an headless VM

Mariano Martinez Peck

2010/1/18 Simon Denier <[hidden email]>

On 18 janv. 2010, at 17:43, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

ah ok, I though it was. Thanks for the tip, now I will try to compile my own vm (which didnt work out last week).

Or, does anybody have a Linux VM already compiled which is closure-enabled?

:) I know this link, and I started there. Unfortunately the binary (in alternative) is also a 3.10.3 so no closure. And compiling is not so easy as it could be.

Simon: It would be cool if you test that, because the VM seems to be actually a closure-enable vm. Actually, that's why I gave you the link for pharo-download, because I was sure it was, as I install it 15 days ago.

Cheers

MAriano

> Levente
>
>> After struggling a bit to found a recent VM (that is, closure-enabled), now I can launch it with the following command:
>> exec "$EXE/squeak" \
>>      -plugins "$RES" \
>>      -encoding latin1 \
>>      -vm-display-null \
>>      "$APP/testServer.image"
>>
>> Problem is the process starts but obviously got stuck after that. I got no feedback on what's going wrong (I guess some error happens and the system is waiting for user input).
>>
>> I tried with a fresh 10500 image and the simplest script I could think of to test:
>> (FileStream forceNewFileNamed: 'foo.txt') nextPutAll: 'bar'; close
>>
>> ....same thing.
>>
>> Of course it works on my local machine with UI.
>>
>> Is there a way to debug this, like having the debugger to dump the stack in the terminal. I tried Cmd-.  but it just stops the process (like Ctrl-c) with no feedback.
>>

>> --
>> Simon

 Simon

 Simon

Re: [Pharo-project] Getting feedback on an headless VM

Simon Denier-3

On 18 janv. 2010, at 18:17, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> Problem is the process starts but obviously got stuck after that. I got no feedback on what's going wrong (I guess some error happens and the system is waiting for user input).
>
> Presumably it cannot find the sources or changes file, or their
> permissions are wrong.

This was the right track, the sources file was not in the right place and it could not find it. Thanks Lukas!

Now about the Linux, I'm sorry I cant help much, I finally manage to run the 3.10.3 and it appears it is really ok with closure.

> More details you can find in the Seaside book. Not that this is not
> particularly related to Seaside, but it contains all essentials to run
> a VM headless:
>
>   http://book.seaside.st/book/advanced/deployment/deployment-apache/run-vm
>
> Lukas
>

>> I tried with a fresh 10500 image and the simplest script I could think of to test:
>> (FileStream forceNewFileNamed: 'foo.txt') nextPutAll: 'bar'; close
>>
>> ....same thing.
>>
>> Of course it works on my local machine with UI.
>>
>> Is there a way to debug this, like having the debugger to dump the stack in the terminal. I tried Cmd-.  but it just stops the process (like Ctrl-c) with no feedback.
>>

>> --
>>  Simon

> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch