Getting profiling info from Seaside in a VW environment..

Getting profiling info from Seaside in a VW environment..

Rick Flower
I've got Seaside running under VW 7.4 and don't see the feature that I
saw under Squeak which was to show the profiling information for a page
once the halos were toggled.. Does this feature require some extra turn-on
to get it enabled?  I saw it by default in Squeak but can't seem to find
it on VW's bundled version..  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Re: Getting profiling info from Seaside in a VW environment..

Michel Bany-3
Rick F. a écrit :

>I've got Seaside running under VW 7.4 and don't see the feature that I
>saw under Squeak which was to show the profiling information for a page
>once the halos were toggled.. Does this feature require some extra turn-on
>to get it enabled?  I saw it by default in Squeak but can't seem to find
>it on VW's bundled version..  Any ideas?

Hi Rick,
This feature is currently restricted to Squeak, it has not been
translated into
the VW equivalent. Sorry for that. This is probably not too difficult to do,
using the AT Profiling stuff.
You may want to research this subject and contribute.
Michel.

RE: Getting profiling info from Seaside in a VW environment..

Bany, Michel
Since I am currently working on the VW port of 2.6a2 I had a look
to the profiling feature. It's quite easy to integrate and it will
be included in the next port.

A question though.

I noticed that profiling is only available for the rendering phase.
Sure, this is useful, but not as quite useful as profiling the callback
phase. Has anything tried for profiling the callback phase ?

Thanks,
Michel.

Avi  Bryant

On Jan 25, 2006, at 5:53 AM, Bany, Michel wrote:

> Since I am currently working on the VW port of 2.6a2 I had a look
> to the profiling feature. It's quite easy to integrate and it will
> be included in the next port.
>
> A question though.
>
> I noticed that profiling is only available for the rendering phase.
> Sure, this is useful, but not as quite useful as profiling the
> callback
> phase. Has anything tried for profiling the callback phase ?

It's actually harder to do than you would think, because often the
callback phase involves the invocation of one or more continuations -
which means that the stack is really messy.  Squeak's profiler,
anyway, doesn't have an easy time with that.  I agree that it would
be very useful, however, if someone finds a clever way to do it.

Avi

Re: Getting profiling info from Seaside in a VW environment..

Lukas Renggli
> > Since I am currently working on the VW port of 2.6a2 I had a look
> > to the profiling feature. It's quite easy to integrate and it will
> > be included in the next port.
> >
> > A question though.
> >
> > I noticed that profiling is only available for the rendering phase.
> > Sure, this is useful, but not as quite useful as profiling the
> > callback
> > phase. Has anything tried for profiling the callback phase ?
>
> It's actually harder to do than you would think, because often the
> callback phase involves the invocation of one or more continuations -
> which means that the stack is really messy.  Squeak's profiler,
> anyway, doesn't have an easy time with that.  I agree that it would
> be very useful, however, if someone finds a clever way to do it.

I have written a decorator that logs a lot of interesting information
(in an extended common-log format) for the rendering and the
callback-phase, this includes simple profiling information. For the
callbacks I had to do some fancy continuation tricks, but it works.
The relevant piece of code is the one below (ugly):

processCallbackStream: aStream
        | timing continuation |
        timing := Time millisecondClockValue.
        continuation := self session instVarNamed: 'escapeContinuation'.
        self session instVarNamed: 'escapeContinuation' put: [ :value |
                self
                        logRequest: self session currentRequest nativeRequest
                        response: value kind: #callback
                        time: Time millisecondClockValue - timing.
                continuation value: value ].
        ^super processCallbackStream: aStream.

The timing is not entirely correct, but I guess it should give a
figure somewhere close to the real value. If necessary I can publish
the whole code, but I have to negotiate with netstyle.ch first ;-)

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch