classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Getting started and the stout video

Brian Brown-5
Hey all,

First of all, this is an incredible project, and I really appreciate the work that has gone into it!

I've installed redline, and gotten the development environment up and going - the hello world example works fine, and I was able to run all the tests. (Besides the IMPLEMENT ME messages on a couple of items, that went fine).

I followed the video and when I run my: ./stout Hello and hit the url, we see this:

target/redline-deploy% ./stout Hello                                                                                                                                      
2012-12-27 14:19:25.081:INFO::Logging to STDERR via org.mortbay.log.StdErrLog
2012-12-27 14:19:25.083:INFO::jetty-6.1.25
2012-12-27 14:19:25.101:INFO::Started SocketConnector@0.0.0.0:8080
2012-12-27 14:19:33.332:WARN::/
javax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: 'Hello' already registered to package: 'Hello'.
at st.redline.stout.Run$1.handle(Run.java:46)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)
at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:326)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:542)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.java:926)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:549)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:212)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:404)
at org.mortbay.jetty.bio.SocketConnector$Connection.run(SocketConnector.java:228)
at org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:582)

I tried changing names around, but I don't think that is the issue, and it didn't have any effect. Here is my the contents of Hello.st:

import: 'st.redline.stout.Stout'.

Stout < #Hello.

-route
    self onGet: '/' do: [ 'And a big web hello to you too ' ].

Any ideas?

thanks!

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Getting started and the stout video

James Ladd
Hi Brian,

Welcome to the group.

Thank you for the kind words. We are working on Redline every chance we get and
those 'implement me' messages will disappear very soon.

The error you are getting is from the command line for Stout. It is because you need
to tell Redline what the path is to the classes it should load, in this case st.redline.Web.

Try this command line and let me know how you go:

./stout -s examples st.redline.Web

The -s tells Redline the path to look in for classes, in this case the examples folder.
Under this folder in the st/redline folder there will be a file called Web.st. The Web.st
file handles the web requests.

- James.

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Brian Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey all,

First of all, this is an incredible project, and I really appreciate the work that has gone into it!

I've installed redline, and gotten the development environment up and going - the hello world example works fine, and I was able to run all the tests. (Besides the IMPLEMENT ME messages on a couple of items, that went fine).

I followed the video and when I run my: ./stout Hello and hit the url, we see this:

javax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: 'Hello' already registered to package: 'Hello'.
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.java:926)
at org.mortbay.jetty.bio.SocketConnector$Connection.run(SocketConnector.java:228)
at org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:582)

I tried changing names around, but I don't think that is the issue, and it didn't have any effect. Here is my the contents of Hello.st:

Stout < #Hello.

-route

Any ideas?

thanks!

Reply | Threaded
|

Brian Brown-5

On Thursday, December 27, 2012 3:15:02 PM UTC-7, jamesl wrote:
Hi Brian,

Welcome to the group.

Thank you!

The error you are getting is from the command line for Stout. It is because you need
to tell Redline what the path is to the classes it should load, in this case st.redline.Web.

The -s tells Redline the path to look in for classes, in this case the examples folder.
Under this folder in the st/redline folder there will be a file called Web.st. The Web.st

Yes, the worked nicely; I think that is the piece missing from the video tutorial. 

Also, looking at the comments on the youtube page, I understand what problems a couple of folks were having - if you download the redline-deploy.zip file, the stout script is not included, just stic. You must complete process in the getting started guide to set up the full development environment, and the stout script is available.

Thanks so much for answering!

- Brian

- James.

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Brian Brown <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="SqO387LPZYQJ">bro...@...> wrote:
Hey all,

Stout < #Hello.

-route

Any ideas?

thanks!

Reply | Threaded
|

James Ladd
Ah - ill have to remake the QuickStart zip. Thank you for working this through
- James

Sent from Hyperspace.

On 29/12/2012, at 3:55 AM, Brian Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thursday, December 27, 2012 3:15:02 PM UTC-7, jamesl wrote:
Hi Brian,

Welcome to the group.

Thank you!

Yes, the worked nicely; I think that is the piece missing from the video tutorial. 

Also, looking at the comments on the youtube page, I understand what problems a couple of folks were having - if you download the redline-deploy.zip file, the stout script is not included, just stic. You must complete process in the getting started guide to set up the full development environment, and the stout script is available.

Thanks so much for answering!

- Brian

- James.

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Brian Brown <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="SqO387LPZYQJ">bro...@...> wrote:
Hey all,

Stout < #Hello.

-route

Any ideas?

thanks!