Getting started

David Finlayson-4
What's the trick to getting a pharo image up and running?

I tried downloading the pharo-dev image 20231 from the downloads page,
then I added SqueakV39.sources from a Squeak image. When I launched I
got an error dialog saying:

Error: a primative has failed.

I was hoping to take a look around at the work you folks are doing.

--
David Finlayson

Re: Getting started

David Mitchell-10
Haven't had that problem. I'm using SqueakV39.sources with Pharo.

My approach:

Start at the Pharo downloads page: https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/?group_id=1299

Pick a a one-click distribution such as:
https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/10409/Pharo0.1-10107-oneclick.zip

Unzip.

Then grab the latest Pharo-dev zip which gives you a current image and
changes with the developer tools. You can get the link from here:
http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Downloads?tm=2

Unzip that image and changes and copy the files to the
Contents/Resources folder in the one-click structure.

One-clicks preconfigure the executable to look for a specific image
and changes file name. So, I rename the old image & changes to
something else and then rename the latest image & changes to match the
original. Alternatively, you can fix up the platform-specific text
files, but I never learned how to do that for Mac, so I just rename.

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 11:21 AM, David Finlayson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What's the trick to getting a pharo image up and running?
>
> I tried downloading the pharo-dev image 20231 from the downloads page,
> then I added SqueakV39.sources from a Squeak image. When I launched I
> got an error dialog saying:
>
> Error: a primative has failed.
>
> I was hoping to take a look around at the work you folks are doing.
>
> --
> David Finlayson

Re: Getting started

Rob Rothwell
I get that error with the new 10236 dev image as well; I don't recall getting it with the 10231 dev image.  I think it is related to the initial FreeType startup process.

Start with a 10236 image, click "abandon" and close the debug window, save the image, close it, and open it again.  At least I don't get the error the next time.

Rob

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 12:21 PM, David Finlayson <[hidden email]> wrote:
What's the trick to getting a pharo image up and running?

I tried downloading the pharo-dev image 20231 from the downloads page,
then I added SqueakV39.sources from a Squeak image. When I launched I
got an error dialog saying:

Error: a primative has failed.

I was hoping to take a look around at the work you folks are doing.

--
David Finlayson

Re: Getting started

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I'm glad this came up, because I hit that one too and forgot about it.  The other thing I have found is that more recent images are somewhat particular about the VM version - they will freeze if the (Windows is where I have seen it) vm is too old.

Bill

----
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
bschwab AT anest DOT ufl DOT edu

Re: Getting started

David Finlayson
I tried all the suggestions here (abandon the error and continue;
download a one-click source and over write the files with the dev
updates. In both cases, I wound up with an unstable image. I got
further with the second method and used it for a couple of hours, but
I am seeing a lot of errors. For example: errors are raised when I
delete morphs (something to do with the trash can); an error searching
in OB for the word "morph" raised an error in OBEnhancementMetaNode >>
Fan ??

I know that you guys are ripping out a lot of cruft in Squeak and
things are understandably unstable right now. You've made great
progress on the UI, that's for sure. I'll come back again when you
release the first stable build in a couple of months.

Thanks for your work,

David

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 7:44 PM, Rob Rothwell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is this reproducible then?  (It is by me!)  Should I report it as an issue?
>
> Rob
>
> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 9:03 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I'm glad this came up, because I hit that one too and forgot about it.
>>  The other thing I have found is that more recent images are somewhat
>> particular about the VM version - they will freeze if the (Windows is where
>> I have seen it) vm is too old.
>>
>> Bill
>>
>> ----
>> Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
>> bschwab AT anest DOT ufl DOT edu

David Finlayson, Ph.D.
Operational Geologist

U.S. Geological Survey
Pacific Science Center
400 Natural Bridges Drive
Santa Cruz, CA  95060, USA

Office: 831-427-4757
Lab: 831-427-4462
Fax: 831-427-4748
E-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Getting started

Marcus Denker
Uhh... we should really provide up-to-date one-click images all the
time.

I will have a look at that soon.

        Marcus

On 21.02.2009, at 18:57, David Mitchell wrote:

> Haven't had that problem. I'm using SqueakV39.sources with Pharo.
>
> My approach:
>
> Start at the Pharo downloads page: https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/?group_id=1299
>
> Pick a a one-click distribution such as:
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/10409/Pharo0.1-10107-oneclick.zip
>
> Unzip.
>
> Then grab the latest Pharo-dev zip which gives you a current image and
> changes with the developer tools. You can get the link from here:
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Downloads?tm=2
>
> Unzip that image and changes and copy the files to the
> Contents/Resources folder in the one-click structure.
>
> One-clicks preconfigure the executable to look for a specific image
> and changes file name. So, I rename the old image & changes to
> something else and then rename the latest image & changes to match the
> original. Alternatively, you can fix up the platform-specific text
> files, but I never learned how to do that for Mac, so I just rename.
>

> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 11:21 AM, David Finlayson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What's the trick to getting a pharo image up and running?
>>
>> I tried downloading the pharo-dev image 20231 from the downloads
>> page,
>> then I added SqueakV39.sources from a Squeak image. When I launched I
>> got an error dialog saying:
>>
>> Error: a primative has failed.
>>
>> I was hoping to take a look around at the work you folks are doing.
>>
>> --
>> David Finlayson

Marcus Denker  --  [hidden email]
http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: Getting started

Marcus Denker

On 22.02.2009, at 09:59, David Finlayson wrote:

> I tried all the suggestions here (abandon the error and continue;
> download a one-click source and over write the files with the dev
> updates. In both cases, I wound up with an unstable image. I got
> further with the second method and used it for a couple of hours, but
> I am seeing a lot of errors. For example: errors are raised when I
> delete morphs (something to do with the trash can); an error searching
> in OB for the word "morph" raised an error in OBEnhancementMetaNode >>
> Fan ??

Ups. Normally the images are very usable... we need to look at how these
problems where introduced in the last ones.

> I know that you guys are ripping out a lot of cruft in Squeak and
> things are understandably unstable right now. You've made great
> progress on the UI, that's for sure. I'll come back again when you
> release the first stable build in a couple of months.

I hope it's weeks, not months...

        Marcus

> Thanks for your work,
>
> David
>
> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 7:44 PM, Rob Rothwell
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Is this reproducible then?  (It is by me!)  Should I report it as
>> an issue?
>>
>> Rob
>>
>> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 9:03 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]
>> >
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm glad this came up, because I hit that one too and forgot about
>>> it.
>>> The other thing I have found is that more recent images are somewhat
>>> particular about the VM version - they will freeze if the (Windows
>>> is where
>>> I have seen it) vm is too old.
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>
>>> ----
>>> Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
>>> bschwab AT anest DOT ufl DOT edu

>>> From: [hidden email]
>>> [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Rob
>>> Rothwell
>>> [[hidden email]]
>>> Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2009 2:15 PM
>>> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
>>> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] Getting started
>>>
>>> I get that error with the new 10236 dev image as well; I don't
>>> recall
>>> getting it with the 10231 dev image.  I think it is related to the
>>> initial
>>> FreeType startup process.
>>>
>>> Start with a 10236 image, click "abandon" and close the debug
>>> window, save
>>> the image, close it, and open it again.  At least I don't get the
>>> error the
>>> next time.
>>>
>>> Rob
>>>
>>> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 12:21 PM, David Finlayson
>>> <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>> What's the trick to getting a pharo image up and running?
>>>
>>> I tried downloading the pharo-dev image 20231 from the downloads
>>> page,
>>> then I added SqueakV39.sources from a Squeak image. When I
>>> launched I
>>> got an error dialog saying:
>>>
>>> Error: a primative has failed.
>>>
>>> I was hoping to take a look around at the work you folks are doing.
>>>
>>> --
>>> David Finlayson

> David Finlayson, Ph.D.
> Operational Geologist
>
> U.S. Geological Survey
> Pacific Science Center
> 400 Natural Bridges Drive
> Santa Cruz, CA  95060, USA
>
> Office: 831-427-4757
> Lab: 831-427-4462
> Fax: 831-427-4748
> E-mail: [hidden email]

Marcus Denker  --  [hidden email]
http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: Getting started

Marcus Denker

On 22.02.2009, at 09:59, David Finlayson wrote:

> I tried all the suggestions here (abandon the error and continue;
> download a one-click source and over write the files with the dev
> updates. In both cases, I wound up with an unstable image. I got
> further with the second method and used it for a couple of hours, but
> I am seeing a lot of errors. For example: errors are raised when I
> delete morphs (something to do with the trash can); an error searching
> in OB for the word "morph" raised an error in OBEnhancementMetaNode >>
> Fan ??

I have added reports for those at

        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/list

     Thanks!

                Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  --  [hidden email]
http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: Getting started

what is important is to see if the update is working on the core.
We do not check if the update works when the tools and all the
packages are loaded.
Stef

On Feb 22, 2009, at 4:44 AM, Rob Rothwell wrote:

> Is this reproducible then?  (It is by me!)  Should I report it as an
> issue?
>
> Rob
>
> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 9:03 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> I'm glad this came up, because I hit that one too and forgot about
> it.  The other thing I have found is that more recent images are
> somewhat particular about the VM version - they will freeze if the
> (Windows is where I have seen it) vm is too old.
>
> Bill
>
> ----
> Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
> bschwab AT anest DOT ufl DOT edu

Re: Getting started

Hi david

this is strange because on mac I used the squeak 3.9 default setup and
I just double click on the
core image and this is working.

My suggestions are
        - either use a pharo-dev without updating
        - or a core and update

Can you let us know if this is working for you?

Stef

On Feb 22, 2009, at 9:59 AM, David Finlayson wrote:

> I tried all the suggestions here (abandon the error and continue;
> download a one-click source and over write the files with the dev
> updates. In both cases, I wound up with an unstable image. I got
> further with the second method and used it for a couple of hours, but
> I am seeing a lot of errors. For example: errors are raised when I
> delete morphs (something to do with the trash can); an error searching
> in OB for the word "morph" raised an error in OBEnhancementMetaNode >>
> Fan ??
>
> I know that you guys are ripping out a lot of cruft in Squeak and
> things are understandably unstable right now. You've made great
> progress on the UI, that's for sure. I'll come back again when you
> release the first stable build in a couple of months.
>
> Thanks for your work,
>
> David
>
> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 7:44 PM, Rob Rothwell
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Is this reproducible then?  (It is by me!)  Should I report it as
>> an issue?
>>
>> Rob
>>
>> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 9:03 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]
>> >
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm glad this came up, because I hit that one too and forgot about
>>> it.
>>> The other thing I have found is that more recent images are somewhat
>>> particular about the VM version - they will freeze if the (Windows
>>> is where
>>> I have seen it) vm is too old.
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>
>>> ----