Getting started with Athens

123

Getting started with Athens

vpena
Hi,

I'm trying to get started with Athens but I'm having the following errors:

Pharo 1.4, loaded last version configurationOfAthens:
'failed to get a symbol address: cairo_image_surface_create'

I also tried in this in a 2.0 image and I got the same error.

I'm trying with this VM:

https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/Cog/job/NativeBoost-Cog-VM/Architecture=32,OS=linux/

Any help, please? :)

Thanks,
Vanessa.

Re: Getting started with Athens

senTalker
Hello Araya,

you might still need to install the library for your host operating system.

See here:

http://www.pharocasts.com/2012/06/athens-and-native-boost-at-work.html

For Debian/Ubuntu systems you would need to do:

apt-get install libcairo2  # as root in Debian

Or:

sudo apt-get install libcairo2 # as non-root in Ubuntu

Hope this helps!

Sebastian

P.S. Future versions of Pharo, if I'm not mistaken, will include this
dependency... ?

2012/11/27 Vanessa Peña Araya <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get started with Athens but I'm having the following errors:
>
> Pharo 1.4, loaded last version configurationOfAthens:
> 'failed to get a symbol address: cairo_image_surface_create'
>
> I also tried in this in a 2.0 image and I got the same error.
>
> I'm trying with this VM:
>
> https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/Cog/job/NativeBoost-Cog-VM/Architecture=32,OS=linux/
>
> Any help, please? :)
>
> Thanks,
> Vanessa.

Re: Getting started with Athens

senTalker
Sorry... I meant "Hello Vanessa" ;-)

> Hello Araya,

Re: Getting started with Athens

EstebanLM
be sure to install the 32bits version

On Nov 27, 2012, at 5:37 PM, Sebastian Nozzi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Araya,
>
> you might still need to install the library for your host operating system.
>
> See here:
>
> http://www.pharocasts.com/2012/06/athens-and-native-boost-at-work.html
>
> For Debian/Ubuntu systems you would need to do:
>
> apt-get install libcairo2  # as root in Debian
>
> Or:
>
> sudo apt-get install libcairo2 # as non-root in Ubuntu
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Sebastian
>
> P.S. Future versions of Pharo, if I'm not mistaken, will include this
> dependency... ?
>

> 2012/11/27 Vanessa Peña Araya <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to get started with Athens but I'm having the following errors:
>>
>> Pharo 1.4, loaded last version configurationOfAthens:
>> 'failed to get a symbol address: cairo_image_surface_create'
>>
>> I also tried in this in a 2.0 image and I got the same error.
>>
>> I'm trying with this VM:
>>
>> https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/Cog/job/NativeBoost-Cog-VM/Architecture=32,OS=linux/
>>
>> Any help, please? :)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Vanessa.

Re: Getting started with Athens

vpena
Hi Sebastian and Esteban,

Thanks for replying. I checked and I already have the libcairo2
installed. I actually can see Roassal working with Cairo in VW so I
guess that's ok. I use a 32bits Ubuntu.

But I still can't make it work :( This error in particular is because
the connection with cairo?

Thanks,
Vanessa.

On 11/27/2012 01:46 PM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> be sure to install the 32bits version
>

> On Nov 27, 2012, at 5:37 PM, Sebastian Nozzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello Araya,
>>
>> you might still need to install the library for your host operating system.
>>
>> See here:
>>
>> http://www.pharocasts.com/2012/06/athens-and-native-boost-at-work.html
>>
>> For Debian/Ubuntu systems you would need to do:
>>
>> apt-get install libcairo2  # as root in Debian
>>
>> Or:
>>
>> sudo apt-get install libcairo2 # as non-root in Ubuntu
>>
>> Hope this helps!
>>
>> Sebastian
>>
>> P.S. Future versions of Pharo, if I'm not mistaken, will include this
>> dependency... ?
>>

>> 2012/11/27 Vanessa Peña Araya <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to get started with Athens but I'm having the following errors:
>>>
>>> Pharo 1.4, loaded last version configurationOfAthens:
>>> 'failed to get a symbol address: cairo_image_surface_create'
>>>
>>> I also tried in this in a 2.0 image and I got the same error.
>>>
>>> I'm trying with this VM:
>>>
>>> https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/Cog/job/NativeBoost-Cog-VM/Architecture=32,OS=linux/
>>>
>>> Any help, please? :)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Vanessa.

Re: Getting started with Athens

kilon
I am not going to pretend that I am that familiar with Athens code yet, though I try to understand it slow but...

Are you sure you are using a Nativeboost CogVM ? I am not even sure Athens suppose to work without it . It means you will need CogVM with Nativeboost plugin (compiled against CogVM) and the Nativeboost packages. Correct me If I am wrong here, my knowledge on these things is still bare bone basic.

Thanks for replying. I checked and I already have the libcairo2
installed. I actually can see Roassal working with Cairo in VW so I
guess that's ok. I use a 32bits Ubuntu.

But I still can't make it work :( This error in particular is because
the connection with cairo?

Thanks,
Vanessa.

On 11/27/2012 01:46 PM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> be sure to install the 32bits version
>

> On Nov 27, 2012, at 5:37 PM, Sebastian Nozzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello Araya,
>>
>> you might still need to install the library for your host operating system.
>>
>> See here:
>>
>> http://www.pharocasts.com/2012/06/athens-and-native-boost-at-work.html
>>
>> For Debian/Ubuntu systems you would need to do:
>>
>> apt-get install libcairo2  # as root in Debian
>>
>> Or:
>>
>> sudo apt-get install libcairo2 # as non-root in Ubuntu
>>
>> Hope this helps!
>>
>> Sebastian
>>
>> P.S. Future versions of Pharo, if I'm not mistaken, will include this
>> dependency... ?
>>

>> 2012/11/27 Vanessa Peña Araya <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to get started with Athens but I'm having the following errors:
>>>
>>> Pharo 1.4, loaded last version configurationOfAthens:
>>> 'failed to get a symbol address: cairo_image_surface_create'
>>>
>>> I also tried in this in a 2.0 image and I got the same error.
>>>
>>> I'm trying with this VM:
>>>
>>> https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/Cog/job/NativeBoost-Cog-VM/Architecture=32,OS=linux/
>>>
>>> Any help, please? :)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Vanessa.

Re: Getting started with Athens

EstebanLM
make a symlink (assuming you are working on linux/mac) where the rest of the plugins are.

Esteban

On Nov 27, 2012, at 9:19 PM, Vanessa Peña Araya <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sebastian and Esteban,
>
> Thanks for replying. I checked and I already have the libcairo2 installed. I actually can see Roassal working with Cairo in VW so I guess that's ok. I use a 32bits Ubuntu.
>
> But I still can't make it work :( This error in particular is because the connection with cairo?
>
> Thanks,
> Vanessa.
>

> On 11/27/2012 01:46 PM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>> be sure to install the 32bits version
>>

>> On Nov 27, 2012, at 5:37 PM, Sebastian Nozzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Araya,
>>>
>>> you might still need to install the library for your host operating system.
>>>
>>> See here:
>>>
>>> http://www.pharocasts.com/2012/06/athens-and-native-boost-at-work.html
>>>
>>> For Debian/Ubuntu systems you would need to do:
>>>
>>> apt-get install libcairo2  # as root in Debian
>>>
>>> Or:
>>>
>>> sudo apt-get install libcairo2 # as non-root in Ubuntu
>>>
>>> Hope this helps!
>>>
>>> Sebastian
>>>
>>> P.S. Future versions of Pharo, if I'm not mistaken, will include this
>>> dependency... ?

Re: Getting started with Athens

kilon
Excuse my ignorance just realized you already using a Nativeboost CogVM , so please ignore my last comment. However in case you dont know it you still need to load the configuration of nativeboost so it loads all the library of nativeboost that Athens rely on.

I am not going to pretend that I am that familiar with Athens code yet, though I try to understand it slow but...

Are you sure you are using a Nativeboost CogVM ? I am not even sure Athens suppose to work without it . It means you will need CogVM with Nativeboost plugin (compiled against CogVM) and the Nativeboost packages. Correct me If I am wrong here, my knowledge on these things is still bare bone basic.

Thanks for replying. I checked and I already have the libcairo2
installed. I actually can see Roassal working with Cairo in VW so I
guess that's ok. I use a 32bits Ubuntu.

But I still can't make it work :( This error in particular is because
the connection with cairo?

Thanks,
Vanessa.

On 11/27/2012 01:46 PM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> be sure to install the 32bits version
>

> On Nov 27, 2012, at 5:37 PM, Sebastian Nozzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello Araya,
>>
>> you might still need to install the library for your host operating system.
>>
>> See here:
>>
>> http://www.pharocasts.com/2012/06/athens-and-native-boost-at-work.html
>>
>> For Debian/Ubuntu systems you would need to do:
>>
>> apt-get install libcairo2  # as root in Debian
>>
>> Or:
>>
>> sudo apt-get install libcairo2 # as non-root in Ubuntu
>>
>> Hope this helps!
>>
>> Sebastian
>>
>> P.S. Future versions of Pharo, if I'm not mistaken, will include this
>> dependency... ?
>>

>> 2012/11/27 Vanessa Peña Araya <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to get started with Athens but I'm having the following errors:
>>>
>>> Pharo 1.4, loaded last version configurationOfAthens:
>>> 'failed to get a symbol address: cairo_image_surface_create'
>>>
>>> I also tried in this in a 2.0 image and I got the same error.
>>>
>>> I'm trying with this VM:
>>>
>>> https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/Cog/job/NativeBoost-Cog-VM/Architecture=32,OS=linux/
>>>
>>> Any help, please? :)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Vanessa.

Re: Getting started with Athens

vpena
Hi Esteban,

I'm sorry, but I don't understand, which are "the rest of the plugins"?

@Dimitri but as far as I understand, when I load the
ConfigurationOfAthens it also load NativeBoost, am I wrong? I actually
have NativeBoost packages.

Thanks,
Vanessa.

On 11/27/2012 05:29 PM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> make a symlink (assuming you are working on linux/mac) where the rest of the plugins are.
>
> Esteban
>
> On Nov 27, 2012, at 9:19 PM, Vanessa Peña Araya <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Sebastian and Esteban,
>>
>> Thanks for replying. I checked and I already have the libcairo2 installed. I actually can see Roassal working with Cairo in VW so I guess that's ok. I use a 32bits Ubuntu.
>>
>> But I still can't make it work :( This error in particular is because the connection with cairo?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Vanessa.
>>

>> On 11/27/2012 01:46 PM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>> be sure to install the 32bits version

Re: Getting started with Athens

Igor Stasenko
On 27 November 2012 21:46, Vanessa Peña Araya <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Esteban,
>
> I'm sorry, but I don't understand, which are "the rest of the plugins"?
>
> @Dimitri but as far as I understand, when I load the ConfigurationOfAthens
> it also load NativeBoost, am I wrong? I actually have NativeBoost packages.

You are correct. Do not load configuration of NativeBoost directly.
Use Athens configuration, because it depends on a certain version of NB,
and if you load latest NB, your mileage can vary.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

On 11/27/2012 05:55 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 27 November 2012 21:46, Vanessa Peña Araya <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Esteban,
>>
>> I'm sorry, but I don't understand, which are "the rest of the plugins"?
>>
>> @Dimitri but as far as I understand, when I load the ConfigurationOfAthens
>> it also load NativeBoost, am I wrong? I actually have NativeBoost packages.
>>
> You are correct. Do not load configuration of NativeBoost directly.
> Use Athens configuration, because it depends on a certain version of NB,
> and if you load latest NB, your mileage can vary.
Yes, I did that. Is there any version of Athens in particular or can I
use the latest?

>> Thanks,
>> Vanessa.

Re: Getting started with Athens

Camillo Bruni-3

On 2012-11-27, at 17:55, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27 November 2012 21:46, Vanessa Peña Araya <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Esteban,
>>
>> I'm sorry, but I don't understand, which are "the rest of the plugins"?
>>
>> @Dimitri but as far as I understand, when I load the ConfigurationOfAthens
>> it also load NativeBoost, am I wrong? I actually have NativeBoost packages.
>>
> You are correct. Do not load configuration of NativeBoost directly.
> Use Athens configuration, because it depends on a certain version of NB,
> and if you load latest NB, your mileage can vary.

that's why we have a CI server:

https://ci.inria.fr/rmod/job/Athens/

On 27 November 2012 22:16, Vanessa Peña Araya <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/27/2012 05:55 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> On 27 November 2012 21:46, Vanessa Peña Araya <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Esteban,
>>>
>>> I'm sorry, but I don't understand, which are "the rest of the plugins"?
>>>
>>> @Dimitri but as far as I understand, when I load the
>>> ConfigurationOfAthens
>>> it also load NativeBoost, am I wrong? I actually have NativeBoost
>>> packages.
>>>
>> You are correct. Do not load configuration of NativeBoost directly.
>> Use Athens configuration, because it depends on a certain version of NB,
>> and if you load latest NB, your mileage can vary.
>
> Yes, I did that. Is there any version of Athens in particular or can I use
> the latest?

latest is fine.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

On 27 November 2012 22:19, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2012-11-27, at 17:55, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 27 November 2012 21:46, Vanessa Peña Araya <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Esteban,
>>>
>>> I'm sorry, but I don't understand, which are "the rest of the plugins"?
>>>
>>> @Dimitri but as far as I understand, when I load the ConfigurationOfAthens
>>> it also load NativeBoost, am I wrong? I actually have NativeBoost packages.
>>>
>> You are correct. Do not load configuration of NativeBoost directly.
>> Use Athens configuration, because it depends on a certain version of NB,
>> and if you load latest NB, your mileage can vary.
>
> that's why we have a CI server:
>
> https://ci.inria.fr/rmod/job/Athens/

hmm.. it asks for login/passwd..
i've been told that new server(s) has public access..

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Getting started with Athens

Camillo Bruni-3

>> https://ci.inria.fr/rmod/job/Athens/
>
> hmm.. it asks for login/passwd..
> i've been told that new server(s) has public access..

damn! you're right, let me check the settings:

fixed!

Re: Getting started with Athens

vpena
Yes, the symlink worked in the end. My problem was that I had one called
"libcairo.so.2.11..." and I needed one "libcairo.so" :P

Thanks for the help!

Vanessa.

On 11/27/2012 05:29 PM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> make a symlink (assuming you are working on linux/mac) where the rest of the plugins are.
>
> Esteban
>
> On Nov 27, 2012, at 9:19 PM, Vanessa Peña Araya <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Sebastian and Esteban,
>>
>> Thanks for replying. I checked and I already have the libcairo2 installed. I actually can see Roassal working with Cairo in VW so I guess that's ok. I use a 32bits Ubuntu.
>>
>> But I still can't make it work :( This error in particular is because the connection with cairo?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Vanessa.
>>

>> On 11/27/2012 01:46 PM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>> be sure to install the 32bits version

Re: Getting started with Athens

CdAB63
Yesterday I gave a try. Just got the following:

Athens Fail

While running in a Fedora 17 (x86_64) box. CogVM + NativeBoost plugin (via Jenkins). Pharo 1.4.

Re: Getting started with Athens

Igor Stasenko
Try:

CairoLibraryLoader getLibraryHandle

also check what

CairoLibraryLoader getLibraryPath

answers and if the cairo library exists under that path.

If not, change the implementation to point to right location of library.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

On 28-11-2012 14:34, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> Try:
>
> CairoLibraryLoader getLibraryHandle
>
> also check what
>
> CairoLibraryLoader getLibraryPath
had to change to /usr/lib/libcairo.so.1
Path is hard coded... not the best of worlds...
But problems remainded...
I'll have to take some time to see what's going on.

> answers and if the cairo library exists under that path.
>
> If not, change the implementation to point to right location of library.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.

Re: Getting started with Athens

EstebanLM
are you sure the library is i386? (32bits)

On Nov 28, 2012, at 7:19 PM, Casimiro de Almeida Barreto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 28-11-2012 14:34, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>> Try:
>>
>> CairoLibraryLoader getLibraryHandle
>>
>> also check what
>>
>> CairoLibraryLoader getLibraryPath
> had to change to /usr/lib/libcairo.so.1
> Path is hard coded... not the best of worlds...
> But problems remainded...
> I'll have to take some time to see what's going on.
>>
>> answers and if the cairo library exists under that path.
>>
>> If not, change the implementation to point to right location of library.
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko.

123