Getting started with Seaside 2.9 + pharo

Getting started with Seaside 2.9 + pharo

Pat Maddox-2
I'm trying to get up and running with Seaside & Pharo again.  I went
to pharo's site and downloaded the pharo-web edition.  Started it up,
and it complained about a server already being started on port 8080.
Did some googling and found
http://n2.nabble.com/WAKom-and-Seaside-2.9-tp3402356p3405381.html
which says

This is fixed in Seaside-Adaptors-Comanche-jf.41 if you want to update.

Couldn't find Seaside-Adaptors-Comanche in Monticello at all.  Turns
out that it's only for 2.9, and the installed Seaside is 2.8.  Okay,
guess I'll try the dev Pharo and add Seaside myself.  This led me to
http://code.google.com/p/seaside/wiki/LoadOrder  but I'm wondering if
there's a simpler way to install everything I need without having to
manually click on every single package and load it.

Another thing that's thrown me off is that I read people are using the
"seaside control panel" now, but I haven't found any documentation on
that.

So far getting set up has been quite frustrating and now I'm looking
for some help...I want to start developing Seaside 2.9 on Pharo.  How
do I do that?

Thanks,
Pat

Re: Getting started with Seaside 2.9 + pharo

Pat Maddox-2
actually I don't particularly care about using 2.9 specifically since
I don't know what's in it, and seaside.st still shows 2.8 as the
current version.  Really I just want to use the same setup as the cool
kids.

Pat

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Pat Maddox<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm trying to get up and running with Seaside & Pharo again.  I went
> to pharo's site and downloaded the pharo-web edition.  Started it up,
> and it complained about a server already being started on port 8080.
> Did some googling and found
> http://n2.nabble.com/WAKom-and-Seaside-2.9-tp3402356p3405381.html
> which says
>
> This is fixed in Seaside-Adaptors-Comanche-jf.41 if you want to update.
>
> Couldn't find Seaside-Adaptors-Comanche in Monticello at all.  Turns
> out that it's only for 2.9, and the installed Seaside is 2.8.  Okay,
> guess I'll try the dev Pharo and add Seaside myself.  This led me to
> http://code.google.com/p/seaside/wiki/LoadOrder  but I'm wondering if
> there's a simpler way to install everything I need without having to
> manually click on every single package and load it.
>
> Another thing that's thrown me off is that I read people are using the
> "seaside control panel" now, but I haven't found any documentation on
> that.
>
> So far getting set up has been quite frustrating and now I'm looking
> for some help...I want to start developing Seaside 2.9 on Pharo.  How
> do I do that?
>
> Thanks,
> Pat

Re: Getting started with Seaside 2.9 + pharo

Daniel P Zepeda
In that case, just go with the Web version of what you downloaded from
the Pharo site. That's what I'm using. I also saw the error about
something already listening on 8080, I simply ignored it. I think that
I 'saved and quit' and started it again, didn't see the error again.
I've been doing alright since then.

DZ

On Aug 18, 2009, at 5:39 PM, Pat Maddox wrote:

> actually I don't particularly care about using 2.9 specifically since
> I don't know what's in it, and seaside.st still shows 2.8 as the
> current version.  Really I just want to use the same setup as the cool
> kids.
>
> Pat
>
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Pat Maddox<[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> I'm trying to get up and running with Seaside & Pharo again.  I went
>> to pharo's site and downloaded the pharo-web edition.  Started it up,
>> and it complained about a server already being started on port 8080.
>> Did some googling and found
>> http://n2.nabble.com/WAKom-and-Seaside-2.9-tp3402356p3405381.html
>> which says
>>
>> This is fixed in Seaside-Adaptors-Comanche-jf.41 if you want to
>> update.
>>
>> Couldn't find Seaside-Adaptors-Comanche in Monticello at all.  Turns
>> out that it's only for 2.9, and the installed Seaside is 2.8.  Okay,
>> guess I'll try the dev Pharo and add Seaside myself.  This led me to
>> http://code.google.com/p/seaside/wiki/LoadOrder  but I'm wondering if
>> there's a simpler way to install everything I need without having to
>> manually click on every single package and load it.
>>
>> Another thing that's thrown me off is that I read people are using
>> the
>> "seaside control panel" now, but I haven't found any documentation on
>> that.
>>
>> So far getting set up has been quite frustrating and now I'm looking
>> for some help...I want to start developing Seaside 2.9 on Pharo.  How
>> do I do that?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Pat

Re: Getting started with Seaside 2.9 + pharo

Damien Cassou
On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 12:55 AM, Daniel P Zepeda<[hidden email]> wrote:
> In that case, just go with the Web version of what you downloaded from
> the Pharo site. That's what I'm using. I also saw the error about
> something already listening on 8080, I simply ignored it. I think that
> I 'saved and quit' and started it again, didn't see the error again.
> I've been doing alright since then.

That's the right way. Sorry about this error, but some Seaside dev
will have to fix that.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st