Getting the VM to release unused object memory

Getting the VM to release unused object memory

Sreenath

Hi all,

 I am trying this on a  clean VW 7.6nc image. I have Windows XP
professional and i use windows task manager to identify the Memory
usage of vwnt from the system.

Here we are checking the internal memory used by the visual works and
also how much vwnt taked from the system. Within internal VW i am
using Object Memory.

I am trying this on a clean image.

When i opened the image the memory used by vwnt.exe in the process
list of Windows was 17.96 MB

1.  First open a workspace and then from the launcher run
System>Collect All Garbage.   Here is what I see in the Transcript:

Global garbage collection (please wait)...
reclaimed 1.02 Mbytes of data and 0 OTEntries in 0.0 sec.
27.58 Mbytes total;     25.18 Mbytes used,      2.4 Mbytes free.

IMP: memory used by vwnt.exe in the process list of Windows was 18.25
MB

2. Inspect a really big array keeping the inspector open and run the
GC again.   I inspected Array new: 100000000 Note: keep the inspector
open while running the GC.   Here is the GC output:

Global garbage collection (please wait)...
reclaimed 0.02 Mbytes of data and 0 OTEntries in 12.4 sec.
431.59 Mbytes total;    426.28 Mbytes used,     5.3 Mbytes free.

IMP: memory used by vwnt.exe in the process list of Windows was  403
MB.

3. Close the inspector and run GC again

Global garbage collection (please wait)...
reclaimed 401.02 Mbytes of data and 1 OTEntries in 0.7 sec.
heap shrunk by 2.46 Mbytes
429.12 Mbytes total;    25.26 Mbytes used,      403.86 Mbytes free.

IMP: memory used by vwnt.exe in the process list of Windows was  403
MB.

I have taken initiative to read the manuals on memory
management  and tried as per the guidelines. Once the memory usage is
increased its not popping down.

Ans i think the VM is not trying to release unused object memory.I am
not sure .. its my guessing.

The get to know i did the similar test of Linux Pc also to indentify
if its a proper Windows OS related issue and surprisingly i have the
similar issue in Linux too.

Has anyone had similar finding regarding the same and have any
possible solutions to the same.

Appreciate you help in advance.

Thanks and Regards,
Sree

Re: Getting the VM to release unused object memory

Reinout Heeck-2

> I am trying this on a clean image.

> 1.  First open a workspace and then from the launcher run
> System>Collect All Garbage.   Here is what I see in the Transcript:
>
> Global garbage collection (please wait)...
> reclaimed 1.02 Mbytes of data and 0 OTEntries in 0.0 sec.
> 27.58 Mbytes total;     25.18 Mbytes used,      2.4 Mbytes free.

The above does not look like a base image to me, a base image should be
smaller.

This is what the transcript of a clean image looks like after GC:

visual.im created at March 3, 2008 10:06:14 pm
Global garbage collection (please wait)...
reclaimed 0.65 Mbytes of data and 0 OTEntries in 0.1 sec.
16.78 Mbytes total;    14.37 Mbytes used,    2.4 Mbytes free.

Anyway, in the settings tool check the memory 'growth regime', the image
will never give back memory until it has grown over the size mentioned
there.

-

Dit e-mailbericht is alleen bestemd voor de geadresseerde(n).

Gebruik door anderen is niet toegestaan. Indien u niet degeadresseerde(n) bent wordt u verzocht de verzender hiervan op de hoogte te stellen en het bericht te verwijderen. Door de elektronische verzending kunnen aan de inhoud van dit bericht geen rechten worden ontleend.

Soops B.V. is gevestigd te Amsterdam, Nederland, en is geregistreerd bij de Kamer van Koophandel onder nummer 33240368.
Soops B.V. levert volgens de Fenit voorwaarden, gedeponeerd te Den Haag op 8 december 1994 onder nummer 1994/189.

This e-mail message is intended to be exclusively for the addressee.

If you are not the intended recipient you are kindly requested not to make any use whatsoever of the contents and to notify the sender immediately by returning this e-mail message. No rights can be derived from this message.

Soops B.V. is a private limited liability company and has its seat at Amsterdam, The Netherlands and is registered with the Trade Registry of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry under number 33240368.
Soops B.V. delivers according to the General Terms and Conditions of Business of Fenit, registered at The Hague, The Netherlands on December 8th, 1994, under number 1994/189

Re: Getting the VM to release unused object memory

Sreenath
Hi Reinout,

 Might be i have something else installed. I am sorry if it was a false information.

My growth regime is set to :106666664.

My main issue is that i am unable to recover from the OS the unused memory even after the GC is done.

Thanks and Regards,
Sree

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 6:25 PM, Reinout Heeck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am trying this on a clean image.

> 1.  First open a workspace and then from the launcher run
> System>Collect All Garbage.   Here is what I see in the Transcript:
>
> Global garbage collection (please wait)...
> reclaimed 1.02 Mbytes of data and 0 OTEntries in 0.0 sec.
> 27.58 Mbytes total;     25.18 Mbytes used,      2.4 Mbytes free.

The above does not look like a base image to me, a base image should be
smaller.

This is what the transcript of a clean image looks like after GC:

visual.im created at March 3, 2008 10:06:14 pm
Global garbage collection (please wait)...
reclaimed 0.65 Mbytes of data and 0 OTEntries in 0.1 sec.
16.78 Mbytes total;    14.37 Mbytes used,    2.4 Mbytes free.

Anyway, in the settings tool check the memory 'growth regime', the image
will never give back memory until it has grown over the size mentioned
there.

-

Dit e-mailbericht is alleen bestemd voor de geadresseerde(n).

Gebruik door anderen is niet toegestaan. Indien u niet degeadresseerde(n) bent wordt u verzocht de verzender hiervan op de hoogte te stellen en het bericht te verwijderen. Door de elektronische verzending kunnen aan de inhoud van dit bericht geen rechten worden ontleend.

Soops B.V. is gevestigd te Amsterdam, Nederland, en is geregistreerd bij de Kamer van Koophandel onder nummer 33240368.
Soops B.V. levert volgens de Fenit voorwaarden, gedeponeerd te Den Haag op 8 december 1994 onder nummer 1994/189.

This e-mail message is intended to be exclusively for the addressee.

If you are not the intended recipient you are kindly requested not to make any use whatsoever of the contents and to notify the sender immediately by returning this e-mail message. No rights can be derived from this message.

Soops B.V. is a private limited liability company and has its seat at Amsterdam, The Netherlands and is registered with the Trade Registry of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry under number 33240368.
Soops B.V. delivers according to the General Terms and Conditions of Business of Fenit, registered at The Hague, The Netherlands on December 8th, 1994, under number 1994/189

Re: Getting the VM to release unused object memory

Paul Baumann
Some things to try...

Inspect and follow the paths to your object:

ReferencePathCollector allReferencePathsTo: (Array allInstances detect: [:ea | ea size = 100000000]).

Change your test a little. Cache and release the large array in a shared variable instead of inspecting it. This would see if the closed inspector is part of the problem.

Paul Baumann

[...]

This message may contain confidential information and is intended for specific recipients unless explicitly noted otherwise. If you have reason to believe you are not an intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender. This message may not represent the opinion of IntercontinentalExchange, Inc. (ICE), its subsidiaries or affiliates, and does not constitute a contract or guarantee. Unencrypted electronic mail is not secure and the recipient of this message is expected to provide safeguards from viruses and pursue alternate means of communication where privacy or a binding message is desired.

Re: Getting the VM to release unused object memory

Wouter Gazendam
I don't think it has anything to do with the Array not being GC'd
since after closing the inspector on the array the 'Mbytes used' drops
to 25.26 . It must be something with smalltalk not returning its free
memory to the OS.

HTH,

Wouter

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 3:53 PM, Paul Baumann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Some things to try...
>
> Inspect and follow the paths to your object:
> ReferencePathCollector allReferencePathsTo: (Array allInstances detect: [:ea
> | ea size = 100000000]).
>
> Change your test a little. Cache and release the large array in a shared
> variable instead of inspecting it. This would see if the closed inspector is
> part of the problem.
>
> Paul Baumann
>
> ________________________________

AG5 B.V.
Timorplein 37
1094 CC Amsterdam
www.ag5.nl
tel. 020-4630942

Tel: 020-4630942
Fax: 020-4630946

Re: Getting the VM to release unused object memory

kobetic
I think that most likely explanation is that the memory manager allocated one large block of memory to accommodate the large object, but in order to return it back it has to be able to empty the segment completely and for some reason it's not able to. Emptying segments is the job of the compacting GC. Imagine that the large segment is the only one that the memory manager has. There are always some small objects floating around that need to live somewhere, so they will occupy the large segment. It doesn't matter that most of the segment is empty, it cannot be returned to the OS. I don't think the CGC is smart enough to know how to deal with that situation. It's hard to force allocation of new, smaller segment since after all there's plenty of space available in the existing large segment. What might help is filling the large segment up again (e.g. with another large object), then force allocation of another smaller segment with some more smaller objects. Then throw those objects away and CGC might be smart enough to move objects to the smaller segment to free the large one. But these are just my conjectures. There real cause might be something else.

"Wouter Gazendam"<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't think it has anything to do with the Array not being GC'd
> since after closing the inspector on the array the 'Mbytes used' drops
> to 25.26 . It must be something with smalltalk not returning its free
> memory to the OS.
>
> HTH,
>
> Wouter
>
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 3:53 PM, Paul Baumann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Some things to try...
> >
> > Inspect and follow the paths to your object:
> > ReferencePathCollector allReferencePathsTo: (Array allInstances detect: [:ea
> > | ea size = 100000000]).
> >
> > Change your test a little. Cache and release the large array in a shared
> > variable instead of inspecting it. This would see if the closed inspector is
> > part of the problem.
> >
> > Paul Baumann

Andres Valloud-6
The big array will require a large old segment to be stored.  After the
large array is collected, perhaps the compacting GC could not move all
the objects in the large segment to other existing segments.
Consequently, since the large segment is not empty, it cannot be
deallocated even if it is mostly empty...