Getting the starting configuration correct: nightmarish and documentation a true mess

Getting the starting configuration correct: nightmarish and documentation a true mess

philippeback
Hi guys,

I managed to get Tide working yesterday.

Now, I wanted to get Amber right.

So, I followed the instructions and after a "few" twists and turns, got an example working.

Now, there is the src/st/js folder thing... All explanations are diverging.

I manage to commit my code but to get it back on page refresh/reload it is unclear with the current explanations.

Here is my index.html file:

<head>
<title>Amber App</title>
<script
  type='text/javascript'
  src='bower_components/amber/support/requirejs/require.min.js'>
</script>
<script
  type='text/javascript'
  src='bower_components/amber/support/amber.js'>
</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>
  require.config({
    paths: {
      'example': 'src', // mapping for our project files
    }
  });

  // Load Amber
  require(['amber/devel'], function (amber) {

    // Initialize Amber
    amber.initialize({
      // Configure the default AMD namespace for new packages
      "transport.defaultAmdNamespace": "example"
    });

    // Start the IDE
    amber.popupHelios();
  });
</script>
</head>
<h1>Amber project</h1>
 <article>
   <h1>My First Amber Project</h1>
   <button onclick="require('amber_vm/smalltalk').Browser._open()">class browser</button>
   <button id="sayHello">say hello</button>
  </article>

Normally, example should be doing the trick of committing/loading.

Commit works, loading the package back doesnt.

Why? what to change?

So, these parts do work. Of course, saving stuff there will not be of any use for my sample project.

Help :-)

Phil

Re: Getting the starting configuration correct: nightmarish and documentation a true mess

Hannes Hirzel
Which instructions did you follow?

   http://amber-lang.net/index.html#get-started
?

HH.

> Hi guys,
>
> I managed to get Tide working yesterday.
>
> Now, I wanted to get Amber right.
>
> So, I followed the instructions and after a "few" twists and turns, got an
> example working.
>
> Now, there is the src/st/js folder thing... All explanations are diverging.
>
> I manage to commit my code but to get it back on page refresh/reload it is
> unclear with the current explanations.
>
> Here is my index.html file:

> <head>
> <title>Amber App</title>
> <script
>   type='text/javascript'
>   src='bower_components/amber/support/requirejs/require.min.js'>
> </script>
> <script
>   type='text/javascript'
>   src='bower_components/amber/support/amber.js'>
> </script>
>
> <script type='text/javascript'>
>   require.config({
>     paths: {
>       'example': 'src', // mapping for our project files
>     }
>   });
>
>   // Load Amber
>   require(['amber/devel'], function (amber) {
>
>     // Initialize Amber
>     amber.initialize({
>       // Configure the default AMD namespace for new packages
>       "transport.defaultAmdNamespace": "example"
>     });
>
>     // Start the IDE
>     amber.popupHelios();
>   });
> </script>
> </head>
> <h1>Amber project</h1>
>  <article>
>    <h1>My First Amber Project</h1>
>    <button onclick="require('amber_vm/smalltalk').Browser._open()">class
> browser</button>
>    <button id="sayHello">say hello</button>
>   </article>
>
> Normally, example should be doing the trick of committing/loading.
>
> Commit works, loading the package back doesnt.
>
> Why? what to change?
>
> Also, http://localhost:4000/bower_components/amber/helios.html gives me
> helios and http://localhost:4000/bower_components/amber/ gives me amber.
>
> So, these parts do work. Of course, saving stuff there will not be of any
> use for my sample project.
>
> Help :-)
>
> Phil

Re: Getting the starting configuration correct: nightmarish and documentation a true mess

Hannes Hirzel
Or this one

   http://docs.amber-lang.net/

?

On 4/5/14, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Which instructions did you follow?
>
>    http://amber-lang.net/index.html#get-started
> ?
>
> HH.

>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I managed to get Tide working yesterday.
>>
>> Now, I wanted to get Amber right.
>>
>> So, I followed the instructions and after a "few" twists and turns, got
>> an
>> example working.
>>
>> Now, there is the src/st/js folder thing... All explanations are
>> diverging.
>>
>> I manage to commit my code but to get it back on page refresh/reload it
>> is
>> unclear with the current explanations.
>>
>> Here is my index.html file:

>> <head>
>> <title>Amber App</title>
>> <script
>>   type='text/javascript'
>>   src='bower_components/amber/support/requirejs/require.min.js'>
>> </script>
>> <script
>>   type='text/javascript'
>>   src='bower_components/amber/support/amber.js'>
>> </script>
>>
>> <script type='text/javascript'>
>>   require.config({
>>     paths: {
>>       'example': 'src', // mapping for our project files
>>     }
>>   });
>>
>>   // Load Amber
>>   require(['amber/devel'], function (amber) {
>>
>>     // Initialize Amber
>>     amber.initialize({
>>       // Configure the default AMD namespace for new packages
>>       "transport.defaultAmdNamespace": "example"
>>     });
>>
>>     // Start the IDE
>>     amber.popupHelios();
>>   });
>> </script>
>> </head>
>> <h1>Amber project</h1>
>>  <article>
>>    <h1>My First Amber Project</h1>
>>    <button onclick="require('amber_vm/smalltalk').Browser._open()">class
>> browser</button>
>>    <button id="sayHello">say hello</button>
>>   </article>
>>
>> Normally, example should be doing the trick of committing/loading.
>>
>> Commit works, loading the package back doesnt.
>>
>> Why? what to change?
>>
>> Also, http://localhost:4000/bower_components/amber/helios.html gives me
>> helios and http://localhost:4000/bower_components/amber/ gives me amber.
>>
>> So, these parts do work. Of course, saving stuff there will not be of any
>> use for my sample project.
>>
>> Help :-)
>>
>> Phil

Re: Getting the starting configuration correct: nightmarish and documentation a true mess

philippeback
Ah, I tried the first one and all the GitHub "attic style" stuff.

The second one is better :-) For a newcomer, good luck still. I forked the repo so that I can put some content in there and issue pull requests on the doc.

In the meantime I got it working. The fact that Chrome was killing popups wasn't helping.

Now, with the second one things are still wrong:

It is amber serve and not amber serve . (dot)

Also, the : 'src' thing in the file isn't working for me and with what is in the doc, one cannot commit its packages.

I've put my index.html file in attach (popup helios or show old IDE at the bottom)..
The scripts are how I create a project.

If one can tell me why the browser isn't opening on the package/class it would be sweet.

If I get some time, I'll do a video of the process.

I guess I am now started.

Next: where is the doc for amberc ?
Next next: are amber examples still working for the new stuff or not?

Phil

On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 3:34 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Or this one

   http://docs.amber-lang.net/

?

On 4/5/14, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Which instructions did you follow?
>
>    http://amber-lang.net/index.html#get-started
> ?
>
> HH.

>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I managed to get Tide working yesterday.
>>
>> Now, I wanted to get Amber right.
>>
>> So, I followed the instructions and after a "few" twists and turns, got
>> an
>> example working.
>>
>> Now, there is the src/st/js folder thing... All explanations are
>> diverging.
>>
>> I manage to commit my code but to get it back on page refresh/reload it
>> is
>> unclear with the current explanations.
>>
>> Here is my index.html file:

>> <head>
>> <title>Amber App</title>
>> <script
>>   type='text/javascript'
>>   src='bower_components/amber/support/requirejs/require.min.js'>
>> </script>
>> <script
>>   type='text/javascript'
>>   src='bower_components/amber/support/amber.js'>
>> </script>
>>
>> <script type='text/javascript'>
>>   require.config({
>>     paths: {
>>       'example': 'src', // mapping for our project files
>>     }
>>   });
>>
>>   // Load Amber
>>   require(['amber/devel'], function (amber) {
>>
>>     // Initialize Amber
>>     amber.initialize({
>>       // Configure the default AMD namespace for new packages
>>       "transport.defaultAmdNamespace": "example"
>>     });
>>
>>     // Start the IDE
>>     amber.popupHelios();
>>   });
>> </script>
>> </head>
>> <h1>Amber project</h1>
>>  <article>
>>    <h1>My First Amber Project</h1>
>>    <button onclick="require('amber_vm/smalltalk').Browser._open()">class
>> browser</button>
>>    <button id="sayHello">say hello</button>
>>   </article>
>>
>> Normally, example should be doing the trick of committing/loading.
>>
>> Commit works, loading the package back doesnt.
>>
>> Why? what to change?
>>
>> Also, http://localhost:4000/bower_components/amber/helios.html gives me
>> helios and http://localhost:4000/bower_components/amber/ gives me amber.
>>
>> So, these parts do work. Of course, saving stuff there will not be of any
>> use for my sample project.
>>
>> Help :-)
>>
>> Phil
>>
>> --

index.html (1K) Download Attachment
prepare.sh (208 bytes) Download Attachment
serve.sh (138 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Getting the starting configuration correct: nightmarish and documentation a true mess

Herby Vojčík
src is for 0.12.4, not yet released.
for 0.12.3, you must additionally map 'your_namespace/_source' to 'src' directory as well.

Herby

p.s.: also, cloning is not the ideal way. bower insrall your amber as dependency, either without version (to get lastest stable) or as amber#master to get tip of master.

[hidden email] wrote:

> [...]

>     >> So, these parts do work. Of course, saving stuff there will not
>     be of any
>     >> use for my sample project.
>     >>
>     >> Help :-)
>     >>
>     >> Phil
>     >>
>     >> --
>     >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the
>     Google Groups
>     >> "amber-lang" group.
>     >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
>     it, send an
>     >> email to [hidden email]
>     <mailto:amber-lang%[hidden email]>.
>     >>
>     >

Re: Getting the starting configuration correct: nightmarish and documentation a true mess

Are there any news about a release 0.12.4? If it is out it makes it
easier to write documentation for it!

And I do not mind if shortly after a release 0.12.5 comes out.

--Hannes

H. Hirzel wrote:
> Are there any news about a release 0.12.4? If it is out it makes it
> easier to write documentation for it!
>
> And I do not mind if shortly after a release 0.12.5 comes out.

Nor do I.

:[hidden email]>> wrote:

>>> turns, got

>>> refresh/reload it

amber.popupHelios();

>>> onclick="require('amber_vm/smalltalk').Browser._open()">class

>> p://localhost:4000/bower_components/amber/helios.html
>>> gives me
>>> me amber.

>>> be of any

use for my sample project.