Getting to know Pharo

Jon Paynter-2
I got the GLASS

Re: Getting to know Pharo

Jon Paynter-2
... ok lets try this again.

I got the GLASS appliance installed and working and i can connect with the pharo image.
Im quite familliar with VW and gemstone but pharo/squeak is a new animal for me.
a few basic questions:
Where is the Transcript? .. how do I open it?
I found where i can file out gemstone classes - but where is the file in?  (yes I can use topaz, but thats very awkward).
Is there a intro guide for Pharo somewhere?

I got the GLASS

Re: Getting to know Pharo

SeanTAllen
question that pretty much applies to all, your questions are where is
the gemstone
transcript, how do you file into gemstone, right?

i ask because it isnt clear which you are referring to. gemtools is
just a client running
in pharo. are these questions related to development work in pharo or
using the gemtools client?

good intro to pharo:

pharo by example => pharobyexample.org

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Jon Paynter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ... ok lets try this again.
>
> I got the GLASS appliance installed and working and i can connect with the
> pharo image.
> Im quite familliar with VW and gemstone but pharo/squeak is a new animal for
> me.
> a few basic questions:
> Where is the Transcript? .. how do I open it?
> I found where i can file out gemstone classes - but where is the file in?
> (yes I can use topaz, but thats very awkward).
> Is there a intro guide for Pharo somewhere?

>> I got the GLASS

Re: Getting to know Pharo

Dale Henrichs
Jon Paynter wrote:
> ... ok lets try this again.
>
> I got the GLASS appliance installed and working and i can connect
> with the pharo image. Im quite familliar with VW and gemstone but
> pharo/squeak is a new animal for me. a few basic questions: Where is
> the Transcript? .. how do I open it?

GemTools uses the Pharo transcript on the "backgound menu."

> I found where i can file out gemstone classes - but where is the file
> in?  (yes I can use topaz, but thats very awkward).

Monticello is the  preferred form of passing code around (oops I sent
out a filein just the other day ... shame on me:).

> Is there a intro guide for Pharo somewhere?

A good place to start would be the Pharo by Example book (see
http://www.pharo-project.org/documentation/tutorials-books)..it is aimed
at Smalltalk newbies, but if you scan through it you should get a feel
for how things are done in Pharo.

Dale

Re: Getting to know Pharo

Jon Paynter-2
On 7/27/10, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jon Paynter wrote:

I found where i can file out gemstone classes - but where is the file
in?  (yes I can use topaz, but thats very awkward).

Monticello is the  preferred form of passing code around (oops I sent
out a filein just the other day ... shame on me:).

No arguments there

Seems more info is needed here on what im doing
Im going to be porting an application from gs 32bit (6.1.2) into glass, so for the first round, all my code will be as file outs -- which seems to work fairly well for the few that ive tried, but its very awkward in shuffling the files between windows and linux VMs

Is there a intro guide for Pharo somewhere?

A good place to start would be the Pharo by Example book (see <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.pharo-project.org/documentation/tutorials-books)..it" target="_blank">http://www.pharo-project.org/documentation/tutorials-books)..it is aimed at Smalltalk newbies, but if you scan through it you should get a feel for how things are done in Pharo.

Dale
Thanks for the info, i'll definately read the pharo guide.

Sean - if things work out well, then development will be done both in Pharo and in gemstone, as my project has some administration UIs that are very useful to have, and all of the reporting is done to the local Transcript.  mabye some of this can be re-written using seaside.. but with the seaside sessions like they are, the auto commit can have bad side effects, so thats still up in the air.

Re: Getting to know Pharo

Dale Henrichs
Jon Paynter wrote:

> On 7/27/10, Dale Henrichs
> <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote: Jon Paynter
> wrote:
>
> I found where i can file out gemstone classes - but where is the file
>  in?  (yes I can use topaz, but thats very awkward).
>
> Monticello is the  preferred form of passing code around (oops I sent
>  out a filein just the other day ... shame on me:).
>
> No arguments there
>
> Seems more info is needed here on what im doing Im going to be
> porting an application from gs 32bit (6.1.2) into glass, so for the
> first round, all my code will be as file outs -- which seems to work
> fairly well for the few that ive tried, but its very awkward in
> shuffling the files between windows and linux VMs
>
> Is there a intro guide for Pharo somewhere?
>
> A good place to start would be the Pharo by Example book (see
> http://www.pharo-project.org/documentation/tutorials-books)..it is
> aimed at Smalltalk newbies, but if you scan through it you should get
> a feel for how things are done in Pharo.
>
> Dale Thanks for the info, i'll definately read the pharo guide.
>

> Sean - if things work out well, then development will be done both in
> Pharo and in gemstone, as my project has some administration UIs that
> are very useful to have, and all of the reporting is done to the
> local Transcript.  mabye some of this can be re-written using
> seaside.. but with the seaside sessions like they are, the auto
> commit can have bad side effects, so thats still up in the air.

Jon,

Don't know if this is relevant or not, but the client Transcript is
accessible from gemStone via a client forwarder. So you can write to the
Transcript in GemStone code and have the output displayed in your client
Transcript window.

If you don't have a GemTools client hooked up, the the Transcript output
is dumped to the log file.

Finally, all of the transcript ouput is logged in the ObjectLog ...
there is a seaside component for viewing/managing the ObjectLog from
Seaside:

   WAAdmin
     register: WAObjectLog
     asApplicationAt: WAObjectLog entryPointName
     user: 'admin' password: 'tool'.

The ObjectLog is an RCQueue (to allow concurrent additions) backed by a
persistent OrderedCollection (to allow easy access/editing)...

Dale

[...]

Now that can be quite useful.  mabye I can use this to actually figure out how client forwarders work.