GitFileTree in Pharo 5

sergio_101
Hey, all.

I am trying to install GitFileTree from the Catalog Browser. I get a warning that it’s not tested with Pharo 5. I go ahead anyway, and it just hangs.

Has anyone else installed it on macOS?

Is there a different package I should be using?

Thanks!

----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

Public Key: http://bit.ly/29z9fG0
#BitMessage BM-NBaswViL21xqgg9STRJjaJaUoyiNe2dV
http://www.Village-Buzz.com
http://www.ThoseOptimizeGuys.com
http://www.coffee-black.com
http://www.painlessfrugality.com
http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: GitFileTree in Pharo 5

Pierce Ng-3
On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 02:12:40PM -0500, sergio ruiz wrote:
> I am trying to install GitFileTree from the Catalog Browser. I get a warning
> that it’s not tested with Pharo 5. I go ahead anyway, and it just hangs.
>
> Has anyone else installed it on macOS?

Just tried the same on Linux Mint 17 (based on Ubuntu 14.04) and got the same.

Pierce

Re: GitFileTree in Pharo 5

CyrilFerlicot
On 31/01/2017 06:31, Pierce Ng wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 02:12:40PM -0500, sergio ruiz wrote:
>> I am trying to install GitFileTree from the Catalog Browser. I get a warning
>> that it’s not tested with Pharo 5. I go ahead anyway, and it just hangs.
>>
>> Has anyone else installed it on macOS?
>
> Just tried the same on Linux Mint 17 (based on Ubuntu 14.04) and got the same.
>
> Pierce

Hi!

To load gitFileTree I use this script:

```
Metacello new
  baseline: 'FileTree';
  repository: 'github://dalehenrich/filetree:pharo' , SystemVersion
current dottedMajorMinor , '_dev/repository';
  load: 'Git'
```

Works for me on Pharo 5/windows and pharo 6/osx

--
Cyril Ferlicot

http://www.synectique.eu

2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: GitFileTree in Pharo 5

Pierce Ng-3
On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 03:42:10PM +0100, Cyril Ferlicot D. wrote:
> To load gitFileTree I use this script:
> ```
> Metacello new
>   baseline: 'FileTree';
>   repository: 'github://dalehenrich/filetree:pharo' , SystemVersion
> current dottedMajorMinor , '_dev/repository';
>   load: 'Git'
> ```
> Works for me on Pharo 5/windows and pharo 6/osx

Thanks Cyril. Just tried it on Pharo 5 on Linux. Loads cleanly.

Pierce

Re: GitFileTree in Pharo 5

Pierce Ng-3
On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 03:13:41PM +0800, Pierce Ng wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 03:42:10PM +0100, Cyril Ferlicot D. wrote:
> > To load gitFileTree I use this script:
> > ```
> > Metacello new
> >   baseline: 'FileTree';
> >   repository: 'github://dalehenrich/filetree:pharo' , SystemVersion
> > current dottedMajorMinor , '_dev/repository';
> >   load: 'Git'
> > ```
> > Works for me on Pharo 5/windows and pharo 6/osx
>
> Thanks Cyril. Just tried it on Pharo 5 on Linux. Loads cleanly.

Spoke too soon. Appeared to have loaded cleanly on one Pharo 5 image, but got
same hung state on another two Pharo 5 images. Does seem to load cleanly and
quickly on Pharo 60365, which is good enough.

Pierce

Re: GitFileTree in Pharo 5

Thierry Goubier

On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 03:13:41PM +0800, Pierce Ng wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 03:42:10PM +0100, Cyril Ferlicot D. wrote:
> > To load gitFileTree I use this script:
> > ```
> > Metacello new
> >   baseline: 'FileTree';
> >   repository: 'github://dalehenrich/filetree:pharo' , SystemVersion
> > current dottedMajorMinor , '_dev/repository';
> >   load: 'Git'
> > ```
> > Works for me on Pharo 5/windows and pharo 6/osx
>
> Thanks Cyril. Just tried it on Pharo 5 on Linux. Loads cleanly.

Spoke too soon. Appeared to have loaded cleanly on one Pharo 5 image, but got
same hung state on another two Pharo 5 images. Does seem to load cleanly and
quickly on Pharo 60365, which is good enough.

Can you detail a bit more about the lockups? GitFileTree uses either OSProcess or OSSubprocess to access git, and the issue may be in one of those.

I use GitFileTree all the time, and I do get that 'hung' state in some cases. At least with OSSubprocess, once an image is in that state, it will hang at the first external access (any command, not only gitfiletree)... No way out except scrapping the image (i.e. saving and restarting keep it in in the same state).

Regards,

Thierry

Pierce

Re: GitFileTree in Pharo 5

Mariano Martinez Peck
OSSubprocess has a problem which hangs the VM on Linux with an specific flavor of the VM (the default one).

You can try with the VM form here:

On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 09:56:55AM -0300, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> OSSubprocess has a problem which hangs the VM on Linux with an specific
> flavor of the VM (the default one).
>
> You can try with the VM form here:
>
> https://dl.bintray.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm/pharo-linux-i386threaded-201612210925-0807b30.zip

Hi Mariano,

I believe I've always been using the itimer VM because that's the default
download. Anyhow, I cloned the opensmalltalk-vm repository and built the itimer
and this VM. Tested each VM with a fresh 50768 image and in both cases GitFileTree
loaded cleanly using snippet by Cyril.

Pierce