GitFileTree on Pharo 5.0

12

Re: GitFileTree on Pharo 5.0

dario trussardi
<base href="x-msg://607/">
Ciao,

I run Pharo 5.0 with no problems on a Macbook Pro, but it’s running OS X v. 10.12.1.  Any reason your OS is backdated?

i have a  MacBookPro with OS X   10.7.5.  with much work on it.

The upgrade to a the last supported OS X   on my book   ( 10.11.6  )

is very problematic because with the upgrade the system can't restart,

and consequently I should reformat the disk.

This is no time for such risk.

Cheers,

Dario

Andrew Glynn

From: Pharo-users <[hidden email]> on behalf of Trussardi Dario Romano <[hidden email]>
Date: Monday, December 5, 2016 at 11:34 AM
To: Any question about pharo is welcome <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Pharo-users] GitFileTree on Pharo 5.0

Ciao,

Pharo is unable to access a library it needs; this is the native boost plugin which is normally bundled with it (and the cairo lib?)...

Guys, anybody with a mac around there?

Thierry

            thanks Dimitris.

Nativeboost has been removed and been replaced by UFFI, all libraries that used Nativeboost are now using UFFI including the Cairo backend library for Athens.

            OK,                 but what i need to do for load UFFI Cairo library

            and for load  the UFFI  library required by     GitFileTree Pharo support?

            I wrong to install Pharo 5.0 on my MacBookPro with OS X   10.7.5. ?

            If right remember i install Pharo 5.0 from         http://pharo.org/download   link

            Thanks.

            Dario

Re: GitFileTree on Pharo 5.0

kilon.alios
because you run a very old macos version it may be possible that because Cairo lib has been compiled for more recent macos that this is the source of your problems.

But I already told you to test Athens without installing anything including Roassal to be certain that this is actually a cairo problem.

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 4:10 PM Trussardi Dario Romano <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ciao,

from terminal i create a /opt/pharo folder and run your command.

If you go to the applications there is a folder called Utilities and inside it there is a terminal application open it and issue the following commands

mkdir pharo
cd pharo
curl get.pharo.org | bash
./pharo-ui Pharo.image

First command will make folder, second will enter the folder, third will dowload the standard stable version of pharo to the folder, foruth will launch pharo.

Then when pharo opens
the Pharo is right open

follow the instruction Esteban gave you to test that Athens works as it should.

The Roassal2 is not load in the image.

I load it from Pharo Project Catalog.

I select the Roassal2 project and do the Install stable version.

( a this point i have a strange dialog behaviour :

when the system open a dialog with:
Question
Roassal2 has not been marked as tested for Pharo5.0!
Do you want to continue (installation could fail )?
when i i select the yes or no button the dialog with the same question is often redispaly. )

Do not install anything before testings. Then if everything works proceed and install one thing, only, then test it, then install the next one etc.

After install the Roassal2 like above and do the  VGTigerDemo runDemo

answer the same error:

ExternalLibraryFunction(Object)>>error:
ExternalLibraryFunction(Object)>>externalCallFailed
ExternalLibraryFunction(ExternalFunction)>>invokeWithArguments:
AthensCairoSurface class>>primImage:width:height:
AthensCairoSurface class>>extent:format:
AthensCairoSurface class>>extent:
VGTigerDemo>>initialize
VGTigerDemo class(Behavior)>>new
VGTigerDemo class>>runDemo

Thanks,

Dario

Moving step by step will help us pin point your problem

I suspect maybe something went crazy , it happens from time to time in pharo, recently I had a nasty corruption with Pharo 6. If it happens once, its ok , if it happens frequently its a problem.

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 6:35 PM Trussardi Dario Romano <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ciao,

Pharo is unable to access a library it needs; this is the native boost plugin which is normally bundled with it (and the cairo lib?)...

Guys, anybody with a mac around there?

Thierry

thanks Dimitris.

Nativeboost has been removed and been replaced by UFFI, all libraries that used Nativeboost are now using UFFI including the Cairo backend library for Athens.

OK,  but what i need to do for load UFFI Cairo library

and for load  the UFFI  library required by  GitFileTree Pharo support?

I wrong to install Pharo 5.0 on my MacBookPro with OS X  10.7.5. ?

If right remember i install Pharo 5.0 from  http://pharo.org/download   link

Thanks.
Dario

Re: GitFileTree on Pharo 5.0

kilon.alios

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 8:46 PM Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
because you run a very old macos version it may be possible that because Cairo lib has been compiled for more recent macos that this is the source of your problems.

Try the following commands from inside the folder you installed pharo following my previous instructions

otool -L ./pharo-vm/Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Plugins/libcairo.2.dylib

This command will print the dependencies of the library and whether your OS libraries are enough to support this library. If one dependency fail then the whole library may fail.

In that case you will need to locate a build for Cairo for the version of MacOS you are using and replace the dylib file or build it yourself,

As you may imagine its very difficult for us to continue supporting very old OS , because we are a small community.

Re: GitFileTree on Pharo 5.0

dario trussardi
Thanks Dimitris,

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 8:46 PM Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
because you run a very old macos version it may be possible that because Cairo lib has been compiled for more recent macos that this is the source of your problems.

Try the following commands from inside the folder you installed pharo following my previous instructions

The
otool -L ./pharo-vm/Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Plugins/libcairo.2.dylib

Answer:
./pharo-vm/Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Plugins/libcairo.2.dylib: @executable_path/Plugins/libcairo.2.dylib (compatibility version 11203.0.0, current version 11203.14.0) @executable_path/Plugins/libpixman-1.0.dylib (compatibility version 27.0.0, current version 27.0.0) @executable_path/Plugins/libfreetype.6.dylib (compatibility version 15.0.0, current version 15.1.0) @executable_path/Plugins/libpng12.0.dylib (compatibility version 50.0.0, current version 50.0.0) /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.5) /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationServices (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 48.0.0) /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1225.1.1) /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation (compatibility version 150.0.0, current version 1253.0.0) /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/CoreGraphics (compatibility version 64.0.0, current version 600.0.0)

This command will print the dependencies of the library and whether your OS libraries are enough to support this library. If one dependency fail then the whole library may fail.

In that case you will need to locate a build for Cairo for the version of MacOS you are using and replace the dylib file or build it yourself,

Without load anything the  VGTigerDemo runDemo  report into the error debug and into relative terminal ( where a launch the pharo ):

dtr$ ./pharo-ui Pharo.image
Error: External module not found
ExternalLibraryFunction(Object)>>error:
ExternalLibraryFunction(Object)>>externalCallFailed
ExternalLibraryFunction(ExternalFunction)>>invokeWithArguments:
AthensCairoSurface class>>primImage:width:height:
FFICalloutAPI>>function:module:
AthensCairoSurface class(Object)>>nbCall:
AthensCairoSurface class>>primImage:width:height:
AthensCairoSurface class>>extent:format:
AthensCairoSurface class>>extent:
VGTigerDemo>>initialize
VGTigerDemo class(Behavior)>>new
VGTigerDemo class>>runDemo

As you may imagine its very difficult for us to continue supporting very old OS , because we are a small community.

I do not want to bother.

Just see if the issue is resolved on my system,

or whether to postpone everything when update the operating system.

But the gitFileTree support would be very useful to continue in a certain direction.

Cheers,

Dario

Re: GitFileTree on Pharo 5.0

kilon.alios
you dont need gitfiletree to use git with pharo, I use just filetreee and gitup which an excellent git client for macos

You can find the cause of the problem but it wont be simple. This is a C problem not a pharo problem, meaning something is wrong with that library.

To really find out what you will need to load the library from C and use the error detection functions to find what is wrong, you could use them from pharo too but you will still need to understand C to make use of the FFI.

Unfortunately I cannot help much in this case because its more or less a continuous testing process. This is how I learned to do shared memory via the FFI. Made the code in C first and then ported to Pharo. I had to perform dozens of test to get it right and had to battle with dozens of errors.

I have both Pharo 6 and Pharo 5 working fine on my macos sierra , so it must be something wrong with your system.

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 10:12 PM Trussardi Dario Romano <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Dimitris,

[...]

Pierce Ng-3
On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 12:57:47PM +0100, Thierry Goubier wrote:
> Ok. Will have a look into the catalog browser source code to get rid of
> that. I know that the catalog browser uses the Pharo6
> ConfigurationOfGitFileTree instead of the Pharo5 one.

Thierry,

Picking up an old thread, any idea how to fix this? On Pharo 5, the result of
"CatalogProvider projectNamed: 'GlorpSQLite' has the Pharo 6 meta repo as the
repositoryUrl. Presumably this is why Catalog Browser on Pharo 5 says
GlorpSQLite is "Unknown" instead of "Pharo 5.0".

Pierce

Re: GitFileTree on Pharo 5.0

Pierce Ng-3
On Thu, Dec 01, 2016 at 07:05:37PM +0100, Trussardi Dario Romano wrote:
> few days ago i encountered problems installing gitFileTree in pharo 5.0.
> The basic error is relative to the : External module not found.

Could be that the VM cannot locate the libgit2 so/dylib, which is my case. On
Pharo 6, LGitLibrary:

  unixModuleName
    ^ 'libgit2.so.0'

  macModuleName
    | pluginDir |
    pluginDir := Smalltalk vm binary parent / 'Plugins'.
    #('libgit2.dylib' 'libgit2.0.dylib')
        detect: [ :each | (pluginDir / each) exists ]
        ifFound: [ :libName | ^ libName ].

    self error: 'Module not found.'

Pierce

Re: GitFileTree on Pharo 5.0

Thierry Goubier
Hi Pierce,

Le 26/02/2017 à 02:35, Pierce Ng a écrit :

> On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 12:57:47PM +0100, Thierry Goubier wrote:
>> Ok. Will have a look into the catalog browser source code to get rid of
>> that. I know that the catalog browser uses the Pharo6
>> ConfigurationOfGitFileTree instead of the Pharo5 one.
>
> Thierry,
>
> Picking up an old thread, any idea how to fix this? On Pharo 5, the result of
> "CatalogProvider projectNamed: 'GlorpSQLite' has the Pharo 6 meta repo as the
> repositoryUrl. Presumably this is why Catalog Browser on Pharo 5 says
> GlorpSQLite is "Unknown" instead of "Pharo 5.0".

Yes, that was the issue. So the configuration in the Pharo6 meta repo
has to support both Pharo 5 and 6.

Thierry

> Pierce

12