GitFileTree repository creation crashes Pharo

GitFileTree repository creation crashes Pharo

Jan Blizničenko
Hello

I decided to give another try to GitFileTree. My last try was 2 years ago, but I had to revert to simple filetree because of frequent crashes while saving to gitfiletree repository on Windows.

Today my attempt ended much more quickly.
What I did and what was the result?

1) Downloaded Pharo 5 for Windows from http://pharo.org/download and opened it
2) Found GitFileTree, selected Install stable version and confirmed I want to install although it was not tested for Pharo 5
-> it loaded without visible problem
3) Opened Monticello, +Repository, selected empty directory I just created, clicked Ok
-> image closed (like if I killed Pharo process - no error, no question, just closed)

So, I am not even sure how to even debug it.

Is this any common problem or did I miss something?

I tried it also in latest Pharo 6, I tried also loading using code from github://dalehenrich/filetree:pharo6.0_dev/repository , I tried also latest VM, but no luck so far.
I have Windows 10 64bit.

Thank you
Jan

Re: GitFileTree repository creation crashes Pharo

Thierry Goubier
Hi Jan,

Le 11/03/2017 à 23:15, Jan Blizničenko a écrit :

> Hello
>
> I decided to give another try to GitFileTree. My last try was 2 years ago,
> but I had to revert to simple filetree because of frequent crashes while
> saving to gitfiletree repository on Windows.
>
> Today my attempt ended much more quickly.
> What I did and what was the result?
>
> 1) Downloaded Pharo 5 for Windows from http://pharo.org/download and opened
> it
> 2) Found GitFileTree, selected Install stable version and confirmed I want
> to install although it was not tested for Pharo 5
> -> it loaded without visible problem

This is a bug in the Pharo5 catalog, and GitFileTree integrates a fix to
get it to load without issues. So disregard that warning.

> 3) Opened Monticello, +Repository, selected empty directory I just created,
> clicked Ok
> -> image closed (like if I killed Pharo process - no error, no question,
> just closed)

No crash.dmp in the directory?

> So, I am not even sure how to even debug it.

> Is this any common problem or did I miss something?

It shouldn't do that. But, if you have such an error, it is usually in
the layer providing external commands access used by GitFileTree... and
it shouldn't crash.

> I tried it also in latest Pharo 6, I tried also loading using code from
> github://dalehenrich/filetree:pharo6.0_dev/repository , I tried also latest
> VM, but no luck so far.
> I have Windows 10 64bit.

Could you try with the ubuntu layer on Windows 10? Jason Lecerf had
success with it last December, including the ability to run the 64 bits
version of Pharo 6 (for Linux) with it.

Another thing you may be interested to try is Iceberg, instead of
GitFileTree.

Regards,

Thierry

> Thank you
> Jan

Re: GitFileTree repository creation crashes Pharo

Jan Blizničenko

Hello and thanks for reply

No, no crash.dmp and nothing in PharoDebug.log or stderr. Not even any error message window like I remember from using GitFileTree those 2 years ago.

I tried Iceberg too, but I came to problems with git authentication (git error "authentication required but no callback set" or "Request failed with status code: 401"), but I will try to find more about that or wait for Iceberg to evolve a little, because it seems like a great project.

GitFileTree does not work on my second Windows 10 PC, too. Note that I have same version of same git program there ( https://git-scm.com/download/win ).

On linux in VirtualBox, using same steps, GitFileTree works fine.

About the Linux subsystem, there are too many obstacles to use it for everydays taks, like to setup display, making 64bit Pharo working etc. and I don't want to spend too much time on that just to find out it does not support something I need (like socket listening on connections from Windows).

Jan

Dne 11.03.2017 v 23:49 Thierry Goubier [via Smalltalk] napsal(a):
Hi Jan,

Le 11/03/2017 à 23:15, Jan Blizničenko a écrit :

> Hello
>
> I decided to give another try to GitFileTree. My last try was 2 years ago,
> but I had to revert to simple filetree because of frequent crashes while
> saving to gitfiletree repository on Windows.
>
> Today my attempt ended much more quickly.
> What I did and what was the result?
>
> 1) Downloaded Pharo 5 for Windows from http://pharo.org/download and opened
> it
> 2) Found GitFileTree, selected Install stable version and confirmed I want
> to install although it was not tested for Pharo 5
> -> it loaded without visible problem

This is a bug in the Pharo5 catalog, and GitFileTree integrates a fix to
get it to load without issues. So disregard that warning.

> 3) Opened Monticello, +Repository, selected empty directory I just created,
> clicked Ok
> -> image closed (like if I killed Pharo process - no error, no question,
> just closed)

No crash.dmp in the directory?

> So, I am not even sure how to even debug it.

> Is this any common problem or did I miss something?

It shouldn't do that. But, if you have such an error, it is usually in
the layer providing external commands access used by GitFileTree... and
it shouldn't crash.

> I tried it also in latest Pharo 6, I tried also loading using code from
> github://dalehenrich/filetree:pharo6.0_dev/repository , I tried also latest
> VM, but no luck so far.
> I have Windows 10 64bit.

Could you try with the ubuntu layer on Windows 10? Jason Lecerf had
success with it last December, including the ability to run the 64 bits
version of Pharo 6 (for Linux) with it.

Another thing you may be interested to try is Iceberg, instead of
GitFileTree.

Regards,

Thierry

> Thank you
> Jan

http://forum.world.st/GitFileTree-repository-creation-crashes-Pharo-tp4938258p4938259.html
To unsubscribe from GitFileTree repository creation crashes Pharo, click here.
NAML

Re: GitFileTree repository creation crashes Pharo

Jan Blizničenko

I followed my thought about git program and then it occured to me - I forgot I had installed 64bit version of git :)

Replaced it by 32bit and GitFileTree is working.

Thank you and sorry for taking your time.

Jan

Dne 12.03.2017 v 1:29 Jan Blizničenko napsal(a):

> [...]

> github://dalehenrich/filetree:pharo6.0_dev/repository , I tried also latest
> VM, but no luck so far.
> I have Windows 10 64bit.

Could you try with the ubuntu layer on Windows 10? Jason Lecerf had
success with it last December, including the ability to run the 64 bits
version of Pharo 6 (for Linux) with it.

Another thing you may be interested to try is Iceberg, instead of
GitFileTree.

Regards,

Thierry

> Thank you
> Jan

http://forum.world.st/GitFileTree-repository-creation-crashes-Pharo-tp4938258p4938259.html
To unsubscribe from GitFileTree repository creation crashes Pharo, click here.
NAML

Re: GitFileTree repository creation crashes Pharo

thanks for that insight. It is a good knowledge item you found there,
about that 32bits to 64bits failure.

Regards,

Thierry

Le 12/03/2017 à 01:33, Jan Blizničenko a écrit :

> [...]
>>> success with it last December, including the ability to run the 64 bits
>>> version of Pharo 6 (for Linux) with it.
>>>
>>> Another thing you may be interested to try is Iceberg, instead of
>>> GitFileTree.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Thierry

>>> Nabble.com.

>>> click here.
>>> NAML
>>> <http://forum.world.st/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: GitFileTree repository creation crashes Pharo

Well, today I attempted to reproduce it again to confirm the 64bit version was the case, but it probably is not.

I tried using current 64bit git, old 64bit I had before, different Pharo VMs across two years (because I replaced whole VM+sources folders at the same time as I updated git) and it just works fine no matter what I try (quite opposite to usual state :) ).

I am not sure what exact versions of Git and Pharo VM I had before, but I tried multiple ones today and it all worked, so it might have been a bug in just my version fixed in another one, or corrupted installation/settings from even older versions (on both PCs - they always had the same version), anyway result is that 64bit git works and solution was in fact complete reinstall/cleanup of Git and Pharo.

Jan

Dne 12.03.2017 v 8:09 Thierry Goubier [via Smalltalk] napsal(a):
> [...]

>>> also latest
>>>
>>> Could you try with the ubuntu layer on Windows 10? Jason Lecerf had
>>> success with it last December, including the ability to run the 64 bits
>>> version of Pharo 6 (for Linux) with it.
>>>
>>> Another thing you may be interested to try is Iceberg, instead of
>>> GitFileTree.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Thierry

>>> Nabble.com.

>>> click here.
>>> NAML
>>> <http://forum.world.st/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

http://forum.world.st/GitFileTree-repository-creation-crashes-Pharo-tp4938258p4938270.html
To unsubscribe from GitFileTree repository creation crashes Pharo, click here.
NAML

Le 12/03/2017 à 09:54, Jan Blizničenko a écrit :
> Well, today I attempted to reproduce it again to confirm the 64bit
> version was the case, but it probably is not.
>
> I tried using current 64bit git, old 64bit I had before, different Pharo
> VMs across two years (because I replaced whole VM+sources folders at the
> same time as I updated git) and it just works fine no matter what I try
> (quite opposite to usual state :) ).

Thanks for testing for a confirmation then. I had issues with 32bits and
64bits with windows related stuff lately (Ubuntu with Wine in 32bits and
64bits) and a wine prefix in 64bits would allways fail to install

> I am not sure what exact versions of Git and Pharo VM I had before, but
> I tried multiple ones today and it all worked, so it might have been a
> bug in just my version fixed in another one, or corrupted
> installation/settings from even older versions (on both PCs - they
> always had the same version), anyway result is that 64bit git works and
> solution was in fact complete reinstall/cleanup of Git and Pharo.

Good to know.

Thierry