Gitfiletree unstable on Windows

Jan Blizničenko
Hello

This is me again with problems with gitfiletree. In general it works just fine, but in about 50 % cases it crashes VM. It happens to me when loading via

Gofer new
    url: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Pharo/MetaRepoForPharo40/main';
    configurationOf: 'GitFileTree';
    loadDevelopment.

Metacello new baseline:...; repository:'gitfiletree:///...'; load.

or when opening repository in Monticello.

Sometimes the crash is handled and dmp file is generated, but sometimes just Pharo.exe stops.
Using Windows 7 64-bit, VM tried 420 (latest) from 2015-03-26 and stable from 2014-05-15, images tried multiple between 40546 to 40588 and also 30864.

Here are links for dmp files: http://www.mediafire.com/download/txbxi77a4nthyxg/Pharo_dmp.zip
crash1 and 2 are from stable VM and 3 and 4 from latest VM, all from image 40588.

Using git from http://git-scm.com/ .

Would be glad to help any further if you need.

Jan

Re: Gitfiletree unstable on Windows

Jigyasa Grover
Yes Jan.
Using GitFileTree in Windows is quite a task.

On Thierry's suggestion, I had tried the following and it worked.

"An alternative solution is to load directly from github, with:

Metacello new
  baseline: 'FileTree';
  repository: 'github://dalehenrich/filetree:pharo4.0_dev/repository';
  load: 'Git' "

Try this if it helps :)

Re: Gitfiletree unstable on Windows

Peter Uhnak
Metacello new
  baseline: 'FileTree';
  repository: 'github://dalehenrich/filetree:pharo4.0_dev/repository';
  load: 'Git' "
I thought that you needed to have GitFileTree loaded to have github:// and Git support. Is that false? Does that mean that github:// (bitbucket://) doesn't use git at all?

Peter

Re: Gitfiletree unstable on Windows

demarey

Le 31 mars 2015 à 16:29, Peter Uhnák a écrit :

Metacello new
  baseline: 'FileTree';
  repository: 'github://dalehenrich/filetree:pharo4.0_dev/repository';
  load: 'Git' "
I thought that you needed to have GitFileTree loaded to have github:// and Git support. Is that false? Does that mean that github:// (bitbucket://) doesn't use git at all?

right. It downloads a zip file with all sources from github and then a simple filetree repository is available.

Christophe.

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Gitfiletree unstable on Windows

Jan Blizničenko
Hi and thanks for the tip, but it doesn't work for me. Running this command results in following exception:
FileDoesNotExist: File @ C:\Users\User\Pharo\images\DC-40588\github-cache\dalehenrich\filetree\pharo4.0_dev\dalehenrich-filetree-7f998e5\repository\MonticelloFileTree-Git.package\monticello.meta\version

Jan

Jigyasa Grover wrote

Try this if it helps :)

Re: Gitfiletree unstable on Windows

Jigyasa Grover
Hey Jan

Try this:
" Metacello new
  baseline: 'FileTree';
  repository: 'filetree:///C:/Users/User/Pharo/....../dalehenrich-filetree-7f998e5/repository';
  load: 'Git'
"

Put in the path to the repository folder.

Re: Gitfiletree unstable on Windows

Jan Blizničenko
This way it loads, but unfortunately VM crashes anyway.

Jigyasa Grover wrote
Hey Jan

Try this:
" Metacello new
  baseline: 'FileTree';
  repository: 'filetree:///C:/Users/User/Pharo/....../dalehenrich-filetree-7f998e5/repository';
  load: 'Git'
"

Put in the path to the repository folder.

Re: Gitfiletree unstable on Windows

Thierry Goubier
Hi Jan,

there is a chance the problem is in the interface GitFileTree uses to
call git on windows.

Thierry

Le 31/03/2015 16:43, Jan B. a écrit :
> Hi and thanks for the tip, but it doesn't work for me. Running this command
> results in following exception:
> FileDoesNotExist: File @
> C:\Users\User\Pharo\images\DC-40588\github-cache\dalehenrich\filetree\pharo4.0_dev\dalehenrich-filetree-7f998e5\repository\MonticelloFileTree-Git.package\monticello.meta\version

Nicolai Hess said the issue is with the path length with the API used in
the pharo VM on Windows

Short of modifying the windows Pharo VM, a solution would be for
filetree to read directly the repository from the github zip archive
(without unzipping that archive). The code to do that is in gitfiletree
in fact ;)

There is also a filesystem-like layer for archives somewhere inside
Pharo, but, I do believe it doesn't work (I'm sure I tried it... and if
I'm not using it, there is a good reason).

Thierry

> Jan
>

> Jigyasa Grover wrote
>> Yes Jan.
>> Using GitFileTree in Windows is quite a task.
>>
>> On Thierry's suggestion, I had tried the following and it worked.
>>
>> "An alternative solution is to load directly from github, with:
>>
>> Metacello new
>>    baseline: 'FileTree';
>>    repository: 'github://dalehenrich/filetree:pharo4.0_dev/repository';
>>    load: 'Git' "
>>
>> Try this if it helps :)

Re: Gitfiletree unstable on Windows

Jan Blizničenko
Sorry for replying after so much time...

What inteface is it? Is there any way I could help to find source of the problem?

Jan

Thierry Goubier wrote
Hi Jan,

there is a chance the problem is in the interface GitFileTree uses to
call git on windows.

Thierry

Le 31/03/2015 17:53, Jan B. a écrit :
> This way it loads, but unfortunately VM crashes anyway.
>

> Jigyasa Grover wrote
>> Hey Jan
>>
>> Try this:
>> " Metacello new
>>    baseline: 'FileTree';
>>    repository:
>> 'filetree:///C:/Users/User/Pharo/....../dalehenrich-filetree-7f998e5/repository';
>>    load: 'Git'
>> "
>>
>> Put in the path to the repository folder.

Re: Gitfiletree unstable on Windows

Thierry Goubier
Hi Jan,

It's ProcessWrapper. It uses a dll called ProcessWrapperPlugin.dll (downloaded when you install ProcessWrapper). I'm not sure where is the source code.

Thierry