Glamour Dashboard

cdelaunay
Hello,

Currently I'm trying to implement a new 'kind' of glamour browser. The idea would be to just allow the user to specify some panes, then we will display those panes in a Kind of 'Dashboard'.
For now , it would be basically to put all the panes one under the other over two columns (plus a scrollbar if the columns size goes out the size of the browser window).

What I would like to do now, is to give to a pane a more or less important height size according its morph contents is mor or less big.
After looking a bit, it seems difficult to retrieve information about an 'optimal' extent in which a Morph should be displayed. Sending 'extent' to a PanelMorph always return 50@40 (whatever what is inside). Someone in the mailing list told me about a 'minExtent' method, but in my cases, it returns something even smaller than 'extent'.

As it looks quite difficult to do that from the 'Morph' part, I was wondering if it could be a good idea to have something in Glamour itself. Each presentation would have an 'optimal' extent. A browser presentation would compute it by composing the optimal extents of its children. ?

Re: Glamour Dashboard

Stéphane Ducasse
cyrille

may be the model should know its conpcetual size and not the morph.

Stef

On May 23, 2011, at 2:27 PM, Cyrille Delaunay wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Currently I'm trying to implement a new 'kind' of glamour browser. The idea would be to just allow the user to specify some panes, then we will display those panes in a Kind of 'Dashboard'.
> For now , it would be basically to put all the panes one under the other over two columns (plus a scrollbar if the columns size goes out the size of the browser window).
>
> What I would like to do now, is to give to a pane a more or less important height size according its morph contents is mor or less big.
> After looking a bit, it seems difficult to retrieve information about an 'optimal' extent in which a Morph should be displayed. Sending 'extent' to a PanelMorph always return 50@40 (whatever what is inside). Someone in the mailing list told me about a 'minExtent' method, but in my cases, it returns something even smaller than 'extent'.
>
> As it looks quite difficult to do that from the 'Morph' part, I was wondering if it could be a good idea to have something in Glamour itself. Each presentation would have an 'optimal' extent. A browser presentation would compute it by composing the optimal extents of its children. ?

Re: Glamour Dashboard

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

The model cannot know its conceptual size, because the model is rendering agnostic.

In the end, it is the actual rendering widgets that should deal with the size resolution.

Cyrille, Gary told you about minExtent, but I think that we would need to add some min extent specifications to the embedded morphs. In other words, the returned morphs for each Glamour objects should specify this minExtent in some way.

I would suggest to build an example at a Morphic level (no Glamour) and start the discussion around that on the Pharo mailing list.

Cheers,
Doru

On 23 May 2011, at 14:40, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> cyrille
>
> may be the model should know its conpcetual size and not the morph.
>
> Stef
>
> On May 23, 2011, at 2:27 PM, Cyrille Delaunay wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Currently I'm trying to implement a new 'kind' of glamour browser. The idea would be to just allow the user to specify some panes, then we will display those panes in a Kind of 'Dashboard'.
>> For now , it would be basically to put all the panes one under the other over two columns (plus a scrollbar if the columns size goes out the size of the browser window).
>>
>> What I would like to do now, is to give to a pane a more or less important height size according its morph contents is mor or less big.
>> After looking a bit, it seems difficult to retrieve information about an 'optimal' extent in which a Morph should be displayed. Sending 'extent' to a PanelMorph always return 50@40 (whatever what is inside). Someone in the mailing list told me about a 'minExtent' method, but in my cases, it returns something even smaller than 'extent'.
>>
>> As it looks quite difficult to do that from the 'Morph' part, I was wondering if it could be a good idea to have something in Glamour itself. Each presentation would have an 'optimal' extent. A browser presentation would compute it by composing the optimal extents of its children. ?

www.tudorgirba.com

"Being happy is a matter of choice."