Glamour action list without the dropdown?

Glamour action list without the dropdown?

jfabry
Hi Doru, all,

in AM I have a Glamour pane that is an actionList where I do  5 populate:on:entitled:with: so that the pane has 5 buttons. Now what happens is that the pane also has a dropdown menu, with the same actions as the buttons. This is a bit silly (see screenshot). Is there a way to have the actionList not have this popup menu?

Thanks in advance!

--
Johan Fabry
[hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry

actionlist.png (16K) Download Attachment

Re: Glamour action list without the dropdown?

Tudor Girba
Hi Johan,

Thanks for reporting. This is a bug. Please open a bug entry.

However, if you ask me, with the new toolbar implementation I do not see a reason for having the action list anymore.

Cheers,
Doru

On 15 Dec 2010, at 22:36, Johan Fabry wrote:

> Hi Doru, all,
>
> in AM I have a Glamour pane that is an actionList where I do  5 populate:on:entitled:with: so that the pane has 5 buttons. Now what happens is that the pane also has a dropdown menu, with the same actions as the buttons. This is a bit silly (see screenshot). Is there a way to have the actionList not have this popup menu?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> <actionlist.png>
>
> --
> Johan Fabry
> [hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
> PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

www.tudorgirba.com

"Presenting is storytelling."

Done: http://code.google.com/p/moose-technology/issues/detail?id=489

> However, if you ask me, with the new toolbar implementation I do not see a reason for having the action list anymore.

Yes, the new toolbar is cool, and I am very happily using it! But I dont agree with you. Toolbar buttons are not normal buttons. Take for example the screenshot below, showing the AspectMaps 'control panel'. I would not want to change the buttons in 'structural zoom' for toolbar buttons...

AMControl.png (78K) Download Attachment

Re: Glamour action list without the dropdown?

Tudor Girba
Why not? :)

Regarding the toolbar, I see that in your case it appears on top of the tab. This probably means that you defined it like:

        act: ...
a tree

If you define the act in the tree, you should get it below the tab.

Doru

On 16 Dec 2010, at 02:09, Johan Fabry wrote:

> On 15 Dec 2010, at 18:51, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi Johan,
>>
>> Thanks for reporting. This is a bug. Please open a bug entry.
>
> Done: http://code.google.com/p/moose-technology/issues/detail?id=489
>
>> However, if you ask me, with the new toolbar implementation I do not see a reason for having the action list anymore.
>

> Yes, the new toolbar is cool, and I am very happily using it! But I dont agree with you. Toolbar buttons are not normal buttons. Take for example the screenshot below, showing the AspectMaps 'control panel'. I would not want to change the buttons in 'structural zoom' for toolbar buttons...
>
> <AMControl.png>
>

> --
> Johan Fabry
> [hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
> PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

www.tudorgirba.com

"Problem solving should be focused on describing
the problem in a way that makes the solution obvious."

On 16 Dec 2010, at 03:04, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Why not? :)

For me:
- Conceptually, a toolbar acts on the model shown by the container it is adorning (explicitly or implicitly). A button just does something, it can be anything.
- I would like to add a slider to that pane, which is not something you see in toolbars
- Implementation-wise I do not know how to make toolbar buttons with text
- It just looks good this way :-) Maybe I can replace the content of that pane with a vertical toolbar, that can hold buttons and other things. But then again, it's not really a toolbar anymore is it?

> Regarding the toolbar, I see that in your case it appears on top of the tab. This probably means that you defined it like:

> act: ...
> a tree
>
> If you define the act in the tree, you should get it below the tab.

Right, I did not think of that, it looks much better now, thanks!