[Glass] Basic questions regarding GemBuilder for Smalltalk, GemTools, and tODE

12

Re: [Glass] Basic questions regarding GemBuilder for Smalltalk, GemTools, and tODE

Mariano Martinez Peck

> Now that I have this thread already open ;) I wonder if someone has ever written some "port rules" or things to be aware when deploying to GemStone. I guess certain Pharo kernel classes/methods may not exist or answer something different, etc... And I think the answer would be around Grease?  In other words, what I ask is the following: imagine (it is not the case unfortunately) I don't use any other library than seaside/magritte. What are the things that would make the port to gemstone complicated? Is there any list or conventions somewhere?

It depends a bit what you will be making. If it's a Seaside app, the chances are that most things that work in Pharo will also work in GLASS. I am saying GLASS because the additions in GLASS to Gemstone are what makes it behave sufficiently close to a Pharo with image-based persistency.

There are a couple of differences we learned to "know" and there are things we wrapped in a compatibility package (some parts contributed back but most pending).
We also used an Abstract Factory pattern to differentiate those parts of the application that need Gemstone-specific code. This is mostly when we are dealing with indexes or some very specific Gemstone stuff we came to use over the years.

Hi Johan

I am interested in that compatibility package. When you said that some parts were already contributed, does it mean they are already as part of GLASS or there is some package around I am not aware of?

I am starting to create my own compatibility (with the try and error method hahah) package but I wonder if we can reuse or maybe move some general parts to GLASS...

Thanks!

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [Glass] Basic questions regarding GemBuilder for Smalltalk, GemTools, and tODE

Johan Brichau-3
Hi Mariano,

We should team up.
Some time ago, I started the following repository: https://github.com/jbrichau/PharoCompatibility

It currently only contains a port of the TextConverters from Pharo but GLASS is missing a lot of text encoders/decoders that can be found in Pharo.
I intend to move our compatibility package we have in Yesplan also to this package, but I need to be a bit selective since some patches we made were only made to work for us.

Some stuff we did in the past was already integrated into GLASS or in this repository: http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/PharoCompat.html

My proposal would be to put all these compatibility packages into the github repository. From there, we can eventually make that package part of GLASS itself.

I'm busy as always, but I should be able to extract our Yesplan-integrated-Gemstone-Extensions to this repository asap.

What do you think?

Johan

On 13 Nov 2013, at 15:23, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Johan,
>
> I am interested in that compatibility package. When you said that some parts were already contributed, does it mean they are already as part of GLASS or there is some package around I am not aware of?
>
> I am starting to create my own compatibility (with the try and error method hahah) package but I wonder if we can reuse or maybe move some general parts to GLASS...
>
> Thanks!

12