[Glass] Debugging in GemTools and "undefined symbol"

[Glass] Debugging in GemTools and "undefined symbol"

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi guys.

While I am debugging from GemTools I notice that the debugger facilities are quite different that from say Pharo. In GemStone I can move around the stack (restart, proceed, into, etc), I can inspect/explore the instance variables or context variables (on the bottom part of the debugger), etc. But what I cannot do is to print/inspect/do pieces of random code inside the executing method. That would only work if I don't refer to any temp or inst variable.

So...is this a known issue? Are there workarounds?

Re: [Glass] Debugging in GemTools and "undefined symbol"

Johan Brichau-3
I'm afraid these are things you get used to in gemtools :-/
Luckily, it's not the place to develop most of your code...

Johan

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 11:48 AM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm afraid these are things you get used to in gemtools :-/

Ok, I feel better I am not the only one ;)

Luckily, it's not the place to develop most of your code...

Indeed.

But my question was more about if it was a problem of GemTools (hoping tODE could solve this)  or a more technical problem (like context reification , debugger temp map, etc...)

Thanks!

Johan

On 17 Dec 2013, at 14:07, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys.
>
> While I am debugging from GemTools I notice that the debugger facilities are quite different that from say Pharo. In GemStone I can move around the stack (restart, proceed, into, etc), I can inspect/explore the instance variables or context variables (on the bottom part of the debugger), etc. But what I cannot do is to print/inspect/do pieces of random code inside the executing method. That would only work if I don't refer to any temp or inst variable.
>
> So...is this a known issue? Are there workarounds?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [Glass] Debugging in GemTools and "undefined symbol"

Dale Henrichs-3

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 11:48 AM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm afraid these are things you get used to in gemtools :-/

Ok, I feel better I am not the only one ;)

Luckily, it's not the place to develop most of your code...

Indeed.

But my question was more about if it was a problem of GemTools (hoping tODE could solve this)  or a more technical problem (like context reification , debugger temp map, etc...)
Frankly I don't recall the technical reason that temps were not made available in the GemTools debugger ... our compiler is written in C and does not have as many entry points as the Pharo compiler so "faking a method context" when doing evaluation within debugger frame could be a bit difficult to accomplish ... then again, I might not have been smart enough when I wrote the debugger chunk ...

I haven't added menus to the text windows yet in tODE, but now that you've mentioned this I will take a closer look at making this happen in tODE ...

Dale

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 11:48 AM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm afraid these are things you get used to in gemtools :-/

Ok, I feel better I am not the only one ;)

Luckily, it's not the place to develop most of your code...

Indeed.

But my question was more about if it was a problem of GemTools (hoping tODE could solve this)  or a more technical problem (like context reification , debugger temp map, etc...)
Frankly I don't recall the technical reason that temps

Actually is neither temps or instance variables. The only thing I seem to have access to is "self".

were not made available in the GemTools debugger ... our compiler is written in C and does not have as many entry points as the Pharo compiler so "faking a method context" when doing evaluation within debugger frame could be a bit difficult to accomplish ... then again, I might not have been smart enough when I wrote the debugger chunk ...

I can imagine the difficulties, that's why I asked ;)

OK, so at least you confirm the limitations and I am not doing something wrong.

I haven't added menus to the text windows yet in tODE, but now that you've mentioned this I will take a closer look at making this happen in tODE ...

I don't know what you mean by "added menus to the text windows".
For me, there most important thing from GemTools is the ability to debug a problem from the ObjectLog. So..that's why I would like the most from tODE: the debugger.

Thanks!

Dale

Thanks!

Johan

On 17 Dec 2013, at 14:07, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys.
>
> While I am debugging from GemTools I notice that the debugger facilities are quite different that from say Pharo. In GemStone I can move around the stack (restart, proceed, into, etc), I can inspect/explore the instance variables or context variables (on the bottom part of the debugger), etc. But what I cannot do is to print/inspect/do pieces of random code inside the executing method. That would only work if I don't refer to any temp or inst variable.
>
> So...is this a known issue? Are there workarounds?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [Glass] Debugging in GemTools and "undefined symbol"

Dale Henrichs-3

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 11:48 AM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm afraid these are things you get used to in gemtools :-/

Ok, I feel better I am not the only one ;)

Luckily, it's not the place to develop most of your code...

Indeed.

But my question was more about if it was a problem of GemTools (hoping tODE could solve this)  or a more technical problem (like context reification , debugger temp map, etc...)
Frankly I don't recall the technical reason that temps

Actually is neither temps or instance variables. The only thing I seem to have access to is "self".

were not made available in the GemTools debugger ... our compiler is written in C and does not have as many entry points as the Pharo compiler so "faking a method context" when doing evaluation within debugger frame could be a bit difficult to accomplish ... then again, I might not have been smart enough when I wrote the debugger chunk ...

I can imagine the difficulties, that's why I asked ;)

OK, so at least you confirm the limitations and I am not doing something wrong.

I haven't added menus to the text windows yet in tODE, but now that you've mentioned this I will take a closer look at making this happen in tODE ...

I don't know what you mean by "added menus to the text windows".
For me, there most important thing from GemTools is the ability to debug a problem from the ObjectLog. So..that's why I would like the most from tODE: the debugger.

There is a reason that you are not using tODE today (actually several:) ... I have a list of `must have` features to add to tODE[1] before letting folks use it and adding menus to text windows as well as debugging ObjectLog are on the list ...I have been focusing on the "new and different" capabilities/functionality of tODE at the expense of not addressing the "obviously needed but relatively straightforward" capabilities/functionality ...

The base _has_ to be solid before building too much on top of it:).

I _am_ making slow, but steady progress[2].

Dale

[1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/tode/issues?direction=desc&page=1&sort=updated&state=open
[2] https://github.com/dalehenrich/tode/commits/dev

[...]

Coool! I am glad to see your progress. If I can be beta tester let me know.

[...]

I really feel that the "must haves" are required before I get beta testers involved, I have learned quite a bit about what tODE should be, but some of the functionality dates from the very earliest days of tODE and needs to be rewritten:) before foisting upon any one else:) ... At the same time I realize that it is impractical to completely rewrite the system before going into beta, because even as it stands today tODE is a better option than GemTools ... but some of the work must be done...

Dale

Re: [Glass] Debugging in GemTools and "undefined symbol"

Martin McClure-5

> But my question was more about if it was a problem of GemTools (hoping
> tODE could solve this)  or a more technical problem (like context
> reification , debugger temp map, etc...)

Today, there are some technical difficulties. The GBS debugger stands on
its head in order to allow do-its in a server context to access
arguments and temporaries and assign to temporaries. It's a rather ugly
hack, but it is possible.

We want to look at what it might take to make this easier to implement,
but I don't believe we've scheduled that inquiry.

Regards,

-Martin