[Glass] Exception stack and ajax [WAS] Re: Can't find Dale's seaside component for exploring Object Log

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Glass] Exception stack and ajax [WAS] Re: Can't find Dale's seaside component for exploring Object Log

GLASS mailing list

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 9:19 PM, Dale Henrichs via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:

Let's see, GsProcess class>>stackReportToLevel: is the message used to dump the error to the gem log and you could add that to the console message.

You could also arrange to log the error and stack by arranging to call GRGemStonePlatform>>logError:title:shouldCommit: and the stack would be logged to the gem log and the object log (presumably shouldCommit: should be false as you want to let the final commit before the response is called to do the work)...

Then you'd have things covered three ways ...

I also thought that the standard continuation error handling logic was triggered by ajax errors and continuations were snapped of for those errors as well ... but I don't see a sender for ajaxErrorHandler in my Seaside image, so perhaps that call is made instead of the call to the standard handler?

Dale, 

#ajaxErrorHandler is my own method (well, shared by Paul and I improved it a bit). The sender of this method is part of my root/main application component and does:

html document
                addLoadScript:
                        (html jQuery document
                                onAjaxError: (self ajaxErrorHandler asFunction: #('event' 'jqxhr' 'settings' 'exception'))).

I just tried by commenting those lines, and I see not difference in gemstone. I mean, I get the exception if I go to "DEbug" -> "Remote Debugging" in GemTools. In addition, with the WAObjectLog I do see the "resumable exception" and I can indeed see the "messageText" of the exception. 

What I have no way to get is the full stack string (no matter if I set or not my ajax error handler) without having to remote debug. I mean...I need to get the full stack string without needing GemTools or similar.

Note that the #ajaxErrorHandler is at client side from what I can see so I am not sure how can I include there what you suggest (#stackReportToLevel: and logError:title:shouldCommit: )

I guess I am missing something...

Thanks in advance!

Dale

On 5/29/15 4:49 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass wrote:

BTW...let me ask something... In my seaside app, I have the remote debug error handler. So if I have an exception that is not cached anyway, I get to the nice seaside walkback with the typical buttons to remote debug, full stack etc. The problem I am having now is if the error happens as part of an ajax callback. In my case, I have an ajax error handler (pasted below). I get the browser popup saying "the program just broke" and everything. But I don't know how I can get the full stack of the error. Imagine the final user using the app. He receives such a popup. Now, me, as developer, how can I see the stacktrace of that error? My gemstone logs show nothing. The user has no way to click or copy paste the stack to send it to me. 

Thanks in advance (this was the original purpose of why I wanted to explore the object log).

ajaxErrorHandler
        ^ ' if (jqxhr.status == 403) {
            alert("For security reasons we sign people out during periods of inactivity. Please sign in again.");
            window.location.href = settings.url.split("?")[0].replace("help","");
        } else {

// This is on purpose because sometimes with TinyMCE we would get status 0 and empty error...when there was no error
if (jqxhr.readyState == 0 || jqxhr.status == 0) {  
   return; //Skip this error  
};

// Lets write to console all error info possbile
 var requestResponse = {
   url: settings.url,
   method: settings.type,
   data: settings.data,
   httpStatus: jqxhr.status,
   error: exception || jqxhr.statusText,
   data: settings.data
 };

console.error(requestResponse);

alert("This program just broke. You can either try again, sign out and sign in and try again, or contact us about error: " + exception);

}'

Sebastian

On 2015-05-29 2:16 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 5:53 PM, Sebastian Heidbrink <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!

I am not 100% sure if this is what you are looking for, but it might include stuff related to this.

http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/Naviode.html

THanks Sebastian, but it's not that one. The one I am talking about is a very simply seaside app you can register and allows you to browse in a kind of html table the entries of the object log. The app is also pass-protected.

Thanks anyway

Sebastian

Am 29.05.2015 um 13:40 schrieb Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass:
Do you remember where is it? (the blog post)

thanks in advance,

--

--

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [Glass] Exception stack and ajax [WAS] Re: Can't find Dale's seaside component for exploring Object Log

GLASS mailing list
mmmm actually....I just checked again and it seems that if I click in the continuation link I do get the stack :) See attached screenshots.
Cool! I think this answers my original question :)
Thank you all....

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 9:53 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 9:19 PM, Dale Henrichs via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:

Let's see, GsProcess class>>stackReportToLevel: is the message used to dump the error to the gem log and you could add that to the console message.

You could also arrange to log the error and stack by arranging to call GRGemStonePlatform>>logError:title:shouldCommit: and the stack would be logged to the gem log and the object log (presumably shouldCommit: should be false as you want to let the final commit before the response is called to do the work)...

I also thought that the standard continuation error handling logic was triggered by ajax errors and continuations were snapped of for those errors as well ... but I don't see a sender for ajaxErrorHandler in my Seaside image, so perhaps that call is made instead of the call to the standard handler?

Dale, 

#ajaxErrorHandler is my own method (well, shared by Paul and I improved it a bit). The sender of this method is part of my root/main application component and does:

html document
                addLoadScript:
                        (html jQuery document
                                onAjaxError: (self ajaxErrorHandler asFunction: #('event' 'jqxhr' 'settings' 'exception'))).

I just tried by commenting those lines, and I see not difference in gemstone. I mean, I get the exception if I go to "DEbug" -> "Remote Debugging" in GemTools. In addition, with the WAObjectLog I do see the "resumable exception" and I can indeed see the "messageText" of the exception. 

What I have no way to get is the full stack string (no matter if I set or not my ajax error handler) without having to remote debug. I mean...I need to get the full stack string without needing GemTools or similar.

Note that the #ajaxErrorHandler is at client side from what I can see so I am not sure how can I include there what you suggest (#stackReportToLevel: and logError:title:shouldCommit: )

Thanks in advance!

Dale

BTW...let me ask something... In my seaside app, I have the remote debug error handler. So if I have an exception that is not cached anyway, I get to the nice seaside walkback with the typical buttons to remote debug, full stack etc. The problem I am having now is if the error happens as part of an ajax callback. In my case, I have an ajax error handler (pasted below). I get the browser popup saying "the program just broke" and everything. But I don't know how I can get the full stack of the error. Imagine the final user using the app. He receives such a popup. Now, me, as developer, how can I see the stacktrace of that error? My gemstone logs show nothing. The user has no way to click or copy paste the stack to send it to me. 

Thanks in advance (this was the original purpose of why I wanted to explore the object log).

ajaxErrorHandler
            alert("For security reasons we sign people out during periods of inactivity. Please sign in again.");
        } else {

// This is on purpose because sometimes with TinyMCE we would get status 0 and empty error...when there was no error
};

var requestResponse = {
 };

alert("This program just broke. You can either try again, sign out and sign in and try again, or contact us about error: " + exception);

}'

Sebastian

Hi!

I am not 100% sure if this is what you are looking for, but it might include stuff related to this.

THanks Sebastian, but it's not that one. The one I am talking about is a very simply seaside app you can register and allows you to browse in a kind of html table the entries of the object log. The app is also pass-protected.

Thanks anyway

Sebastian

thanks in advance,

--

--

--

--

Screen Shot 2015-05-29 at 10.15.51 PM.png (140K) Download Attachment
Screen Shot 2015-05-29 at 10.16.37 PM.png (310K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [Glass] Exception stack and ajax [WAS] Re: Can't find Dale's seaside component for exploring Object Log

GLASS mailing list
In reply to this post by GLASS mailing list
Okay....

In WARemoteDebuggingWalkbackErrorHandler>>open: there is a test for isXmlHttpRequest which is there to differentiate between html responses and AJAX responses IIRC and it responds with WAResponseGenerator>>internalError:...It looks to me like a continuation _is_ created and stored in the object log, but I take it you aren't necessarily interested in that route ...

Sooo, I would say that you would want to customize WAResponseGenerator>>internalError: to include a stack trace in the response using GsProcess class>>stackReportToLevel: .... it's probably worth verifying that WAResponseGenerator>>internalError: is the one generating the response, but reading the code it looks like it's the one that must be doing that ... You might want to return a structured response so that you client could produce a bit better output or even display the error and stack to the user in some form...

Dale

On 5/29/15 5:53 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

Dale, 

html document
                addLoadScript:
                        (html jQuery document

Thanks in advance!

Dale

ajaxErrorHandler
        } else {

};

var requestResponse = {
 };

}'

Sebastian

Hi!

Thanks anyway

Sebastian

thanks in advance,

--

--

--

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list
Oh, good ... you _are_ interested in a continuation:)

BTW, it does appear that in the WARemoteDebuggingWalkbackErrorHandler case, the errors are not logged to the gem log ... it is probably worth adding that capability since it isn't always a guarantee that the commit will succeed and logging to the gem log means that the error won't be lost forever ... something like WAErrorHandler>>saveExceptionContinuation: could be called from WARemoteDebuggingWalkbackErrorHandler>>open: to log to the gem log AND save the continuation to the object log ...

Dale

On 5/29/15 6:17 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
mmmm actually....I just checked again and it seems that if I click in the continuation link I do get the stack :) See attached screenshots.
Thank you all....

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 9:53 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dale, 

html document
                addLoadScript:
                        (html jQuery document

Thanks in advance!

Dale

ajaxErrorHandler
        } else {

};

var requestResponse = {
 };

}'

Sebastian

Hi!

Thanks anyway

Sebastian

thanks in advance,

--

--

--

--

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 12:00 AM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

yes!

BTW, it does appear that in the WARemoteDebuggingWalkbackErrorHandler case, the errors are not logged to the gem log ... it is probably worth adding that capability since it isn't always a guarantee that the commit will succeed and logging to the gem log means that the error won't be lost forever ...

Exactly!!!! that was my conclusion: ajax exceptions end up in the repository object log but NOT in the gem log text file, which is something I would really like (as it happens with normal request exceptions).

something like WAErrorHandler>>saveExceptionContinuation: could be called from WARemoteDebuggingWalkbackErrorHandler>>open: to log to the gem log AND save the continuation to the object log ...

But the save in the object log is already happening. If we call #saveExceptionContinuation: would that be stored twice? 
Do we know who is storing the continuation in the object log in case of an ajax error? 

Thanks Dale!

Dale

On 5/29/15 6:17 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
Thank you all....

Dale, 

html document
                addLoadScript:
                        (html jQuery document

Thanks in advance!

Dale

ajaxErrorHandler
        } else {

};

var requestResponse = {
 };

}'

Sebastian

Hi!

Thanks anyway

Sebastian

thanks in advance,

--

--

--

--

--

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 11:51 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Okay....

In WARemoteDebuggingWalkbackErrorHandler>>open: there is a test for isXmlHttpRequest which is there to differentiate between html responses and AJAX responses IIRC and it responds with WAResponseGenerator>>internalError:...It looks to me like a continuation _is_ created and stored in the object log, but I take it you aren't necessarily interested in that route ...

YES, it IS stored in the object log, and I AM interested in that (on one hand). So that I could "remote debug" when I can, but also I need a plain dead string stack :)

Sooo, I would say that you would want to customize WAResponseGenerator>>internalError: to include a stack trace in the response using GsProcess class>>stackReportToLevel: .... it's probably worth verifying that WAResponseGenerator>>internalError: is the one generating the response, but reading the code it looks like it's the one that must be doing that ... You might want to return a structured response so that you client could produce a bit better output or even display the error and stack to the user in some form...

Well, maybe I do not need to show it to the user. But I need this: The user can call me and tell me: "mariano, I have an error at 19:45 and I was doing X". Could you check? Sometimes (for another topic I can remote debug) so I want to be able to get both:  1) cotinuation stored in the object log so that I can use the WAObjectLog  2) get the plain string stack written in the gem text log.

I am already getting 1) but not 2)

Presenting the error to the user could even be a 3) if you want. Of course it would be nice, but at least with 2) I am fine.

Thanks,

Dale

On 5/29/15 5:53 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

Dale, 

html document
                addLoadScript:
                        (html jQuery document

Thanks in advance!

Dale

ajaxErrorHandler
        } else {

};

var requestResponse = {
 };

}'

Sebastian

Hi!

Thanks anyway

Sebastian

thanks in advance,

--

--

--

--

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

On 05/30/2015 08:37 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

yes!

BTW, it does appear that in the WARemoteDebuggingWalkbackErrorHandler case, the errors are not logged to the gem log ... it is probably worth adding that capability since it isn't always a guarantee that the commit will succeed and logging to the gem log means that the error won't be lost forever ...

Exactly!!!! that was my conclusion: ajax exceptions end up in the repository object log but NOT in the gem log text file, which is something I would really like (as it happens with normal request exceptions).

something like WAErrorHandler>>saveExceptionContinuation: could be called from WARemoteDebuggingWalkbackErrorHandler>>open: to log to the gem log AND save the continuation to the object log ...

But the save in the object log is already happening. If we call #saveExceptionContinuation: would that be stored twice? 
Do we know who is storing the continuation in the object log in case of an ajax error?

It looks like WARemoteDebuggingWalkback>>addContinuation is the spot where the continuation is being saved to the object log and there is nothing written to the gem log there, so the call to add a message to the gem log needs to be added in WARemoteDebuggingWalkbackErrorHandler>>open: ... I've got a proposed fix up on github[1].

Please take a look (others as well) and perhaps comment on the changes before I push them out to gs_master... It would be nice if you could verify that I've pinpointed the right spot...

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/Seaside31/commit/fd8fe4e22ccdba9eb0b166fa90385bd4a4141c41

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 1:46 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

yes!

It looks like WARemoteDebuggingWalkback>>addContinuation is the spot where the continuation is being saved to the object log and there is nothing written to the gem log there, so the call to add a message to the gem log needs to be added in WARemoteDebuggingWalkbackErrorHandler>>open: ... I've got a proposed fix up on github[1].

Please take a look (others as well) and perhaps comment on the changes before I push them out to gs_master... It would be nice if you could verify that I've pinpointed the right spot...

Thanks Dale. I just tried [1] and I found a little issue since in #logContinuation:  you do a "self stackReportLimit":

stack := GsProcess stackReportToLevel: self stackReportLimit.

But you don't implemented (and I see where #logContinuation comes from ahhaha (GemServer >> #writeGemLogEntryFor: exception titled: title). So I simply added:

WARemoteDebuggingWalkback >> stackReportLimit
  ^ 300

And it works now. 

Thank you very much for the fix!

--

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list
Woops:) Good catch, I've git the fix queued up ... thanks!

Dale

On 06/01/2015 12:37 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 1:46 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

yes!

Thanks Dale. I just tried [1] and I found a little issue since in #logContinuation:  you do a "self stackReportLimit":

stack := GsProcess stackReportToLevel: self stackReportLimit.

But you don't implemented (and I see where #logContinuation comes from ahhaha (GemServer >> #writeGemLogEntryFor: exception titled: title). So I simply added:

WARemoteDebuggingWalkback >> stackReportLimit
  ^ 300

And it works now. 

Thank you very much for the fix!

--