[Glass] FileSystem ported to GemStone yet?

[Glass] FileSystem ported to GemStone yet?

GLASS mailing list
Has FileSystem been ported to GemStone yet?

Or is there some other library that helps with maintaining portability of
Pharo Seaside code (which uses FileReferences) vs GemStone code (which
still uses FileDirectories)?

Re: [Glass] FileSystem ported to GemStone yet?

GLASS mailing list

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 10:09 AM, Pieter Nagel via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has FileSystem been ported to GemStone yet?

Or is there some other library that helps with maintaining portability of
Pharo Seaside code (which uses FileReferences) vs GemStone code (which
still uses FileDirectories)?

Hi,

As far as I know, no, it hasn't been ported yet. I think in the past, Dale ported a version but soon after, Pharo changed the FileLibrary again and the port got "outdated". But I might be wrong.

What I am doing (and I know some others as well), is to have a Portability class which 2 concrete subclasses, one for Pharo, one for GemStone. Each implements the abstract methods of the superclass according to their platform.

If you want I can share with you my compatibility classes...they were based (but I changed/added more stuff) on ones from Dale (I don't remember if they were for Monticello or Git..) and ones from Sven (I think they were for Zinc, but not sure).

I also have an extended "GemStone Compatibility" package that adds more extension methods to GemStone base classes so that things that work in Pharo do work too in GemStone.

Let me know if you want anything.

Re: [Glass] FileSystem ported to GemStone yet?

GLASS mailing list
Pieter.

That work has not been done yet ...

Take a look at the MCFileTreeFileUtils class. A number of the standard file system methods are covered there ..

MCFileTreeFileUtils is part of the FileTree project[2] on the gemstone2.4 branch and if additional protocol is needed, I would accept pull requests for that project ...

Metacello depends upon FileTree so when you use GsUpgrader to update Metacello, you get a "free" update of FileTree from the gemstone2.4 branch...

Dale

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 5:09 AM, Pieter Nagel via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has FileSystem been ported to GemStone yet?

Or is there some other library that helps with maintaining portability of
Pharo Seaside code (which uses FileReferences) vs GemStone code (which
still uses FileDirectories)?

Re: [Glass] FileSystem ported to GemStone yet?

Paul DeBruicker
There is the MockGemStone project here:

MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/ss/MockGemStone'
    user: ''
    password: ''

That provides stub classes for Pharo

GLASS mailing list wrote

On 19 Nov 2014, at 22:08, Paul DeBruicker via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:

Or is there some other library that helps with maintaining portability of
Pharo Seaside code (which uses FileReferences) vs GemStone code (which
still uses FileDirectories)?

But I would argue we merge it into GsDevkit, which is somehere on my road-mind-map if others agree ;)

Johan

Re: [Glass] FileSystem ported to GemStone yet?

GLASS mailing list
Johan,

I agree that it should be part of GsDevKit, but I think it needs to be conditionally loaded, since I am interested in maintaining Squeak compatibility as well ....

Dale

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 12:12 AM, Johan Brichau via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 19 Nov 2014, at 22:08, Paul DeBruicker via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:

Or is there some other library that helps with maintaining portability of
Pharo Seaside code (which uses FileReferences) vs GemStone code (which
still uses FileDirectories)?

But I would argue we merge it into GsDevkit, which is somehere on my road-mind-map if others agree ;)

Johan

Re: [Glass] FileSystem ported to GemStone yet?

GLASS mailing list
Hey Dale, Johan

On 20.11.2014, at 18:37, Dale Henrichs via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Johan,
>
> I agree that it should be part of GsDevKit, but I think it needs to be conditionally loaded, since I am interested in maintaining Squeak compatibility as well ....

I glanced over the PharoCompatibility packages.

GsPharo-Core:
                I don't see a problem. It is a superset of Squeak behavior
                and when there's overlap, the implementation of this package
                either is identical to Squeak's or equivalent in outcome and
                side effects.

Multilingual-TextConversion:
                A bit tricky. This is some increment and refactorings to the
                classes already in Squeak, and they might be incompatible in their
                implementation. I think in practise this is not much of a problem,
                since these classes are typically used for their effect (Text conversion)
                and the TextConverter API is a strict subset of Squeak's TextConverter
                with IMHO all sensible methods. MultiByteBinaryOrTextStream is a lot
                slimmer than Squeak's but I don't know what this would mean.

                PS: TextConverter class>>default is missing, it is sent in
                MultiByteBinaryOrTextStream class>>on:encoding:

HTH

Best
        -Tobias

> Dale
>
> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 12:12 AM, Johan Brichau via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 19 Nov 2014, at 22:08, Paul DeBruicker via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Or is there some other library that helps with maintaining portability of
>>> Pharo Seaside code (which uses FileReferences) vs GemStone code (which
>>> still uses FileDirectories)?
>
> There is this guy: https://github.com/glassdb/PharoCompatibility
>
> But I would argue we merge it into GsDevkit, which is somehere on my road-mind-map if others agree ;)
>
> Johan

Re: [Glass] FileSystem ported to GemStone yet?

GLASS mailing list
The methods and classes that are identical/compatible between Squeak and Pharo should be in GsSqueakCommon (currently part of the default for glass/GsDevKit).

The GsPharo and GsSqueak packages should be reserved for only those methods and classes that diverge ...

Dale