Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Glass] Garbage Collection of indexes

GLASS mailing list
Hi folks,

The GemStone Programming Guide says about indexes:

"After creating indexes on a collection, be sure to remove these indexes
before dereferencing the collection. Otherwise, the index will remain and prevent the collection and indexing structures from being garbage collected."

Is this still being true? Or latest GemStone do this automatically? 

Also.... say I have 'collection1' which is a RcIdentityBug with the "old" list of my objects. And now I have 'collection2' which is another RcIdentityBad with the "new" list. Is there an automatic way to get the indexes from 'collection1' and apply them to 'collection2'?

Thanks in advance, 

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [Glass] Garbage Collection of indexes

GLASS mailing list

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 6:31 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi folks,

before dereferencing the collection. Otherwise, the index will remain and prevent the collection and indexing structures from being garbage collected."

This is still true ... we are considering doing something about this in 3.3, but nothing firm yet...

Also.... say I have 'collection1' which is a RcIdentityBug with the "old" list of my objects. And now I have 'collection2' which is another RcIdentityBad with the "new" list. Is there an automatic way to get the indexes from 'collection1' and apply them to 'collection2'?

If you are using 3.2, the answer would be "yes, use the following":

indexSpec := collection1  indexSpec.
   indexSpec createIndexesOn: collection2.

Prior to 3.2 it's not very convenient ... the closest you can get is by using the messages:

equalityIndexedPathsAndConstraints
   identityIndexedPaths

to get the raw information from a collection and then fabricating the appropriate index creation message ...

Dale

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

Bear in mind that you already have the code to create the indexes. You may need to parameterize it to allow you to pass in the new collection.

On Oct 29, 2014 9:47 AM, "Dale Henrichs via Glass" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 6:31 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi folks,

This is still true ... we are considering doing something about this in 3.3, but nothing firm yet...

Prior to 3.2 it's not very convenient ... the closest you can get is by using the messages:

identityIndexedPaths

to get the raw information from a collection and then fabricating the appropriate index creation message ...

Dale

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list
In reply to this post by GLASS mailing list

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi folks,

ouch...ok.

sweet!

identityIndexedPaths

OK, thanks for the explanation.

Last question..is it ok to assume that #createIdentityIndexOn: will NOT recreate the index if it already exist? I followed the code and I understood that, but just wanted to be sure... so it's not a big deal if I try to recreate an index that already exist, correct? 

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 1:25 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi folks,

ouch...ok.

sweet!

identityIndexedPaths

OK, thanks for the explanation.

Last question..is it ok to assume that #createIdentityIndexOn: will NOT recreate the index if it already exist? I followed the code and I understood that, but just wanted to be sure... so it's not a big deal if I try to recreate an index that already exist, correct?

Yes, it is safe to run index creation for the same index on the same collection multiple times ...

Dale