[Glass] Gemstone/S 3.2 and Zinc ...

GLASS mailing list
Hmm, that's my never ending job ...  had some time today and checked the
state of the 3.2.2 and Zinc working ...

Started plain 3.2.2, started Jade IDE, added the github repository of
zinc (https://github.com/GsDevKit/zinc) and then tried to download ....
and get the error message:

Can not find MimeType ....

Well, where is this class defined ?

--
Marten Feldtmann

Re: [Glass] Gemstone/S 3.2 and Zinc ...

GLASS mailing list
Ok, I managed to load it .. that's fine  .. Puuhh !

But Zinc-Rest mentioned Monticello problems ...

Marten

Am 17.11.2014 um 17:32 schrieb [hidden email] via Glass:
> Ok, I managed to load it .. that's fine  .. Puuhh !
>
> But Zinc-Rest mentioned Monticello problems ...
>
> Marten

... reason is NeoJSON

Marten

--
Marten Feldtmann

Re: [Glass] Gemstone/S 3.2 and Zinc ...

GLASS mailing list
Marten,

Not a lot of detail here ... load expressions and stacks go a long way towards giving me enough information to help.... I'm assuming that there is a configuration issue somewhere in there, but without at least the load expression I really have nothing to go on..

Dale

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 8:34 AM, [hidden email] via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 17.11.2014 um 17:32 schrieb [hidden email] via Glass:
> Ok, I managed to load it .. that's fine  .. Puuhh !
>
> But Zinc-Rest mentioned Monticello problems ...
>
> Marten

... reason is NeoJSON

Marten

--
Marten Feldtmann

Re: [Glass] Gemstone/S 3.2 and Zinc ...

GLASS mailing list
Ok, just the messsage I see here when exeuting the following two statements:

doit
Gofer new
  package: 'GsUpgrader-Core';
  url: 'http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ss/gsUpgrader';
  load.
(Smalltalk at: #GsUpgrader) upgradeGrease.
%
doit
GsDeployer deploy: [
  Metacello new
    baseline: 'ZincHTTPComponents';
    repository: 'github://GsDevKit/zinc:gs_master/repository';
    onLock: [:ex | ex honor ];
    load: 'Tests' ].
%

The first warning I get is (seems to be from the first statement):

Warning: This package depends on the following classes:
  ExecutableBlock
You must resolve these dependencies before you will be able to load
these defintions: ExecutableBlock>>valueSupplyingMetacelloAnswers:

Later when loading the Zinc components I get messages just before
of the following packages that have unsaved changed .... Bootstrap

And later on a similar message when loading: OB-Tools.v3-dkh.140 and the
package is "OB-Standard".

And later also for package "OB-Tools"

Marten

That has nothing to do with the Zinc-REST conflicht I know - just wanted
to notify these messages from today.

--
Marten Feldtmann

Re: [Glass] Gemstone/S 3.2 and Zinc ...

GLASS mailing list
If I look at the BaselineOfZincHTTPComponent I notice these statements:

       configuration: 'Neo JSON'
          with: [
              spec
                versionString: #'stable';
                repository: 'http://mc.stfx.eu/Neo' ].

I would expect it to reference the GsDevKit repository version ?!

Marten

--
Marten Feldtmann

Re: [Glass] Gemstone/S 3.2 and Zinc ...

GLASS mailing list
Ok, and when trying to load REST via a statement like this (hope, that
it makes sense):

GsDeployer deploy: [
  Metacello new
    baseline: 'ZincHTTPComponents';
    repository: 'github://GsDevKit/zinc:gs_master/repository';
    onLock: [:ex | ex honor ];
    load: 'REST' ].

I get the information "Could not resolve: ConfigurationOfNeo JSON
[ConfigurationOfNeo JSON] in cache http://mc.stfx.eu/Neo"

Marten

--
Marten Feldtmann

Re: [Glass] Gemstone/S 3.2 and Zinc ...

GLASS mailing list
Here is the reason for one error: "Neo JSON" must be written as
"NeoJSON" here in the definitions and in all references ...

Marten

Am 17.11.2014 um 21:38 schrieb [hidden email] via Glass:
> Here is the reason for one error: "Neo JSON" must be written as
> "NeoJSON" here in the definitions and in all references ...

 ... and then the REST package can be loaded without error messages.

--
Marten Feldtmann

Re: [Glass] Gemstone/S 3.2 and Zinc ...

GLASS mailing list
Am 17.11.2014 um 21:20 schrieb [hidden email] via Glass:

> If I look at the BaselineOfZincHTTPComponent I notice these statements:
>
>        configuration: 'Neo JSON'
>           with: [
>               spec
>                 versionString: #'stable';
>                 repository: 'http://mc.stfx.eu/Neo' ].
>
> I would expect it to reference the GsDevKit repository version ?!

The question remains - despite the fixed error ...

Marten

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 12:05 PM, [hidden email] via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

This is a Warning telling you that an extension method for ExcutableBlock will not be loaded, because the class ExecutableBlock is not present. The Warning is being signalled because the class ExecutableBlock is not present in GemStone3.x ... Presumably this Warning is being signalled during the #upgradeGrease phase. The #upgradeGrease method includes an upgrade of Metacello and this particular method is part of a Metacello package ...  at the end of the day, the Warning is coming during the load of an older version of a package package and by the time the latest version of Metacello is loaded, the method is loaded into the proper class BlockClosure>>valueSupplyingMetacelloAnswers:.

Later when loading the Zinc components I get messages just before
of the following packages that have unsaved changed .... Bootstrap

This is also a normal message during load, coming about when methods are moved from one package to another ... by the time the system is finished loading you should not have any dirty packages.

And later on a similar message when loading: OB-Tools.v3-dkh.140 and the
package is "OB-Standard".

And later also for package "OB-Tools"

Marten

That has nothing to do with the Zinc-REST conflicht I know - just wanted
to notify these messages from today.

It's always a good idea to keep an eye on the Warning messages ... the ones you have mentioned are "normal", but especially when dealing with load errors it is always a good idea to mention the Warnings in case something critical goes missing ...

Dale

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 12:20 PM, [hidden email] via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
If I look at the BaselineOfZincHTTPComponent I notice these statements:

       configuration: 'Neo JSON'
          with: [
              spec
                versionString: #'stable';
                repository: 'http://mc.stfx.eu/Neo' ].

I would expect it to reference the GsDevKit repository version ?!

Yes I would agree with you that the Zinc baseline should be updated ... Now I think that the Neo JSON project was moved to GsDevKit just two weeks ago so it has just been recently ported and the Zinc spec should be updated.

I've submitted a bug on this[1]. There are a handful of Zinc issues that I have been meaning to get to[2] and if I don't get too sidetracked today, I just might be able to address this afternoon:)

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/zinc/issues/60
[2] https://github.com/GsDevKit/zinc/labels/inprocess

Re: [Glass] Gemstone/S 3.2 and Zinc ...

GLASS mailing list
Okay now I understand what needs to be changed in the zinc baseline ... thanks for giving me the necessary detail.

Dale

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 12:40 PM, [hidden email] via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 17.11.2014 um 21:38 schrieb [hidden email] via Glass:
> Here is the reason for one error: "Neo JSON" must be written as
> "NeoJSON" here in the definitions and in all references ...

 ... and then the REST package can be loaded without error messages.

--
Marten Feldtmann

Re: [Glass] Gemstone/S 3.2 and Zinc ...

GLASS mailing list
Upon further review, it looks like the configuration at http://mc.stfx.eu/Neo is referencing the GsDevKit project. Unfortunately NeoJSON does not load into GemStone2.x (not sure about tests yet), so I've been sideline by getting NeoJSON to load into 2.x so that I can evaluate the portability of the code itself ... I prefere to have all projects function on all versions of GemStone if possible ...

Dale