[Glass] Gemstone for OSX - VM temp obj space full when updating GLASS

[Glass] Gemstone for OSX - VM temp obj space full when updating GLASS

Paul DeBruicker
I may have a setting wrong but if I start a new 3.1.0.4, initialize a GLASS  extent and begin to update GLASS to 1.0beta9.1  through GemTools I get a

"VM temporary object memory is full
, almost out of memory, too many markSweeps since last successful scavenge"

error.  If I set the object cache to 1024 and the temp cache to 500 then it still happens.  What should I try next?

Thanks

Paul

Re: [Glass] Gemstone for OSX - VM temp obj space full when updating GLASS

James Foster-9
If you use Topaz, then the TempObjCacheSize is managed from the command line. If you use GemTools, then it is managed elsewhere and the the default TempObjCacheSize of 10 MB is much too small. In the screencast (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnRB5rBbkiI) from 2:00 to 2:30 I demonstrate how to edit the config file so that it has a larger space. Basically, you need to edit ~/Library/GemStone/db1/etc/system.conf so that the last line is not commented out and has a larger value (say, 100 to 150 MB or 100000 to 150000 KB).

At the moment you will need to edit this file after starting the database (we recreate the file each time we start). I plan to add the desirable TempObjCacheSize as a configuration that is managed through the app, but that isn't done yet.

James

On Oct 2, 2013, at 3:54 PM, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I may have a setting wrong but if I start a new 3.1.0.4, initialize a GLASS  extent and begin to update GLASS to 1.0beta9.1  through GemTools I get a
>
> "VM temporary object memory is full
> , almost out of memory, too many markSweeps since last successful scavenge"
>
> error.  If I set the object cache to 1024 and the temp cache to 500 then it still happens.  What should I try next?
>

> Thanks
>
> Paul

Re: [Glass] Gemstone for OSX - VM temp obj space full when updating GLASS

James Foster-9
I have uploaded GemStone.app 1.2.2 that specifies a 100 MB GEM_TEMPOBJ_CACHE_SIZE. I still plan to make it configurable, but this should be reasonable for most uses and can still be changed by editing the config file manually after starting the stone.

James

On Oct 2, 2013, at 4:03 PM, James Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you use Topaz, then the TempObjCacheSize is managed from the command line. If you use GemTools, then it is managed elsewhere and the the default TempObjCacheSize of 10 MB is much too small. In the screencast (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnRB5rBbkiI) from 2:00 to 2:30 I demonstrate how to edit the config file so that it has a larger space. Basically, you need to edit ~/Library/GemStone/db1/etc/system.conf so that the last line is not commented out and has a larger value (say, 100 to 150 MB or 100000 to 150000 KB).
>
> At the moment you will need to edit this file after starting the database (we recreate the file each time we start). I plan to add the desirable TempObjCacheSize as a configuration that is managed through the app, but that isn't done yet.
>
> James
>
> On Oct 2, 2013, at 3:54 PM, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I may have a setting wrong but if I start a new 3.1.0.4, initialize a GLASS  extent and begin to update GLASS to 1.0beta9.1  through GemTools I get a
>>
>> "VM temporary object memory is full
>> , almost out of memory, too many markSweeps since last successful scavenge"
>>
>> error.  If I set the object cache to 1024 and the temp cache to 500 then it still happens.  What should I try next?
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Paul

Re: [Glass] Gemstone for OSX - VM temp obj space full when updating GLASS

JupiterJones
Thanks James,

I like the new setEnv.sh - if we create a seaside extent, can $GEMSTONE/seaside/bin also be added to the path?

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Jupiter
On 03/10/2013, at 1:08 PM, James Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have uploaded GemStone.app 1.2.2 that specifies a 100 MB GEM_TEMPOBJ_CACHE_SIZE. I still plan to make it configurable, but this should be reasonable for most uses and can still be changed by editing the config file manually after starting the stone.
>
> James
>
> On Oct 2, 2013, at 4:03 PM, James Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If you use Topaz, then the TempObjCacheSize is managed from the command line. If you use GemTools, then it is managed elsewhere and the the default TempObjCacheSize of 10 MB is much too small. In the screencast (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnRB5rBbkiI) from 2:00 to 2:30 I demonstrate how to edit the config file so that it has a larger space. Basically, you need to edit ~/Library/GemStone/db1/etc/system.conf so that the last line is not commented out and has a larger value (say, 100 to 150 MB or 100000 to 150000 KB).
>>
>> At the moment you will need to edit this file after starting the database (we recreate the file each time we start). I plan to add the desirable TempObjCacheSize as a configuration that is managed through the app, but that isn't done yet.
>>
>> James
>>
>> On Oct 2, 2013, at 3:54 PM, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I may have a setting wrong but if I start a new 3.1.0.4, initialize a GLASS  extent and begin to update GLASS to 1.0beta9.1  through GemTools I get a
>>>
>>> "VM temporary object memory is full
>>> , almost out of memory, too many markSweeps since last successful scavenge"
>>>
>>> error.  If I set the object cache to 1024 and the temp cache to 500 then it still happens.  What should I try next?
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Paul

Re: [Glass] Gemstone for OSX - VM temp obj space full when updating GLASS

James Foster-9
Good point. Dale also pointed out that I could use $GEMSTONE/seaside/system.conf as a template for the config file so we get other configurations. I'll do that shortly.

James

On Oct 3, 2013, at 12:37 PM, Jupiter Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks James,
>
> I like the new setEnv.sh - if we create a seaside extent, can $GEMSTONE/seaside/bin also be added to the path?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jupiter
> On 03/10/2013, at 1:08 PM, James Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have uploaded GemStone.app 1.2.2 that specifies a 100 MB GEM_TEMPOBJ_CACHE_SIZE. I still plan to make it configurable, but this should be reasonable for most uses and can still be changed by editing the config file manually after starting the stone.
>>
>> James
>>
>> On Oct 2, 2013, at 4:03 PM, James Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> If you use Topaz, then the TempObjCacheSize is managed from the command line. If you use GemTools, then it is managed elsewhere and the the default TempObjCacheSize of 10 MB is much too small. In the screencast (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnRB5rBbkiI) from 2:00 to 2:30 I demonstrate how to edit the config file so that it has a larger space. Basically, you need to edit ~/Library/GemStone/db1/etc/system.conf so that the last line is not commented out and has a larger value (say, 100 to 150 MB or 100000 to 150000 KB).
>>>
>>> At the moment you will need to edit this file after starting the database (we recreate the file each time we start). I plan to add the desirable TempObjCacheSize as a configuration that is managed through the app, but that isn't done yet.
>>>
>>> James

Re: [Glass] Gemstone for OSX

JupiterJones
Hi James,

Another request for setEnv.sh :)

Can we also add GEMSTONE_LOGDIR

At the moment, when running runSeasideGems30, logs end up in /

Cheers,

Jupiter
On 04/10/2013, at 5:37 AM, Jupiter Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I like the new setEnv.sh - if we create a seaside extent, can $GEMSTONE/seaside/bin also be added to the path?

Re: [Glass] Gemstone for OSX

James Foster-9
Yes. In fact, Dale pointed out that I should be including everything in defSeaside. I'll work on that this weekend…

On Oct 4, 2013, at 2:57 PM, Jupiter Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> Another request for setEnv.sh :)
>
> Can we also add GEMSTONE_LOGDIR
>
> At the moment, when running runSeasideGems30, logs end up in /
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jupiter
> On 04/10/2013, at 5:37 AM, Jupiter Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I like the new setEnv.sh - if we create a seaside extent, can $GEMSTONE/seaside/bin also be added to the path?

Re: [Glass] Gemstone for OSX

JupiterJones
Not on the weekend :) Enjoy the world!

Can we also have a separate GEMSTONE_EXE_CONF that isn't re-written on db start?

Have a great weekend.

Cheers,

Jupiter
On 05/10/2013, at 7:59 AM, James Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes. In fact, Dale pointed out that I should be including everything in defSeaside. I'll work on that this weekend…
>
> On Oct 4, 2013, at 2:57 PM, Jupiter Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi James,
>>
>> Another request for setEnv.sh :)
>>
>> Can we also add GEMSTONE_LOGDIR
>>
>> At the moment, when running runSeasideGems30, logs end up in /
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Jupiter
>> On 04/10/2013, at 5:37 AM, Jupiter Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I like the new setEnv.sh - if we create a seaside extent, can $GEMSTONE/seaside/bin also be added to the path?

Re: [Glass] Gemstone for OSX

James Foster-9
I've been struggling with how to handle the CONF files. The issue is if you change the SPC size in the GUI I need to edit the CONF file. There are, of course, various ways of handling it, including replacing that line, editing the file only when things change, appending to the end, etc. The other factor is that while I'm giving you access to the directory, the idea was that you configure through the GUI and only go to the files to learn (read-only). So, my leaning now is to have a GUI for whatever config lines you want to add and then merging things. Anyway, I appreciate the feedback!

James

On Oct 4, 2013, at 3:06 PM, Jupiter Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not on the weekend :) Enjoy the world!
>
> Can we also have a separate GEMSTONE_EXE_CONF that isn't re-written on db start?
>
> Have a great weekend.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jupiter
> On 05/10/2013, at 7:59 AM, James Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Yes. In fact, Dale pointed out that I should be including everything in defSeaside. I'll work on that this weekend…
>>
>> On Oct 4, 2013, at 2:57 PM, Jupiter Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi James,
>>>
>>> Another request for setEnv.sh :)
>>>
>>> Can we also add GEMSTONE_LOGDIR
>>>
>>> At the moment, when running runSeasideGems30, logs end up in /
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Jupiter

Re: [Glass] Gemstone for OSX

James Foster-9
GemStone.app version 1.2.3 is available and has some additional entries in system.conf and setEnv.sh. As to the config files, I've changed the environment variables so that they point to the directory rather than to the file. Thus, you can add your own EXE_CONF by providing a file with the stone name (for the stone config file) or the executable name (topaz or gem) for the gem config file. Based on the way the system reads config files, the one I crete (and recreate) will be the default and you can override with another file and your own config parameters. This build also fixes a minor layout issue.

Have fun and let me know how it goes!

James

On Oct 4, 2013, at 3:06 PM, Jupiter Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not on the weekend :) Enjoy the world!
>
> Can we also have a separate GEMSTONE_EXE_CONF that isn't re-written on db start?
>
> Have a great weekend.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jupiter
> On 05/10/2013, at 7:59 AM, James Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Yes. In fact, Dale pointed out that I should be including everything in defSeaside. I'll work on that this weekend…
>>
>> On Oct 4, 2013, at 2:57 PM, Jupiter Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi James,
>>>
>>> Another request for setEnv.sh :)
>>>
>>> Can we also add GEMSTONE_LOGDIR
>>>
>>> At the moment, when running runSeasideGems30, logs end up in /
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Jupiter

Re: [Glass] Gemstone for OSX

James Foster-9
GemStone.app version 1.3.1 is available and has separate config files for the stone and for the gem. If they do not exist they will be created. If they exist they will be left alone. Instead of setting the shared page cache size and the temporary object cache size through the application GUI you now must edit them in the config file. A new sub-tab exists to open an editor on the file and default values are present so it is easy to see what needs to be edited.