classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Glass] GsFile atEnd answering nil rather than boolean

GLASS mailing list
Hi guys,

I am trying to import a large SIXX file (46MB) using an approach like the following:

| codec stream object context persistentKey persistentDict |
persistentKey := ('SIXX_ROOT_ARRAY', Object new identityHash asString) asSymbol.
persistentDict := UserGlobals at: #LargeSIXXExportsAndImportRoots.
stream := (FileStream oldFileNamed: aFilename) text.
MCPlatformSupport commitOnAlmostOutOfMemoryDuring: [
  persistentDict at: persistentKey put: Array new.
context := SixxContext forRead.
FACompatibilityUtils current addSixxShapeChargers: context classResolver.
object := Object readSixxFrom: stream
      context: context
persistentRoot: (persistentDict at: persistentKey)
].
] ensure: [ persistentDict removeKey: persistentKey ].
^ object

The problem is that I get a Sixx parse error because at some point GsFile answers nil to #atEnd. The method says that that happens when there is an error. But I have no idea what error can be. I tried to send #lastErrorString to the GsFile instance but I also get nil. 

Any clues on when #atEnd can answer nil or how can I get more info of why it is failing?

Thanks in advance, 

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [Glass] GsFile atEnd answering nil rather than boolean

GLASS mailing list
What is funny is that there is a class called BinaryOrTextFile which I have no clue what it is (no class comment and doesn't appear in guides either), but it's a subclass of GsFile and implements:

atEnd

| ans |
(ans := super atEnd) == nil ifTrue: [ ^true ].
^ans

So...it is assuming that GsFile atEnd answering nil is like true.... while superclass (GsFile) #atEnd method comment  says the primitive answers nil upon error. 

Best, 

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 10:08 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys,

I am trying to import a large SIXX file (46MB) using an approach like the following:

persistentKey := ('SIXX_ROOT_ARRAY', Object new identityHash asString) asSymbol.
].
^ object

The problem is that I get a Sixx parse error because at some point GsFile answers nil to #atEnd. The method says that that happens when there is an error. But I have no idea what error can be. I tried to send #lastErrorString to the GsFile instance but I also get nil. 

Any clues on when #atEnd can answer nil or how can I get more info of why it is failing?

Thanks in advance, 

--

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list
In reply to this post by GLASS mailing list
On Mar 4, 2015, at 5:08 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:

Was the GsFile instance opened on the client or on the server? This is a common pattern:

(flag := aGsFile atEnd) ifNil: [self error: gsFile serverErrorString].

James

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 12:22 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 12:15 PM, James Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mar 4, 2015, at 5:08 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:

Was the GsFile instance opened on the client or on the server?

On the server. 

This is a common pattern:

(flag := aGsFile atEnd) ifNil: [self error: gsFile serverErrorString].

But I don't have control over that since SIXX is the one that sends #atEnd. Using BinaryOrTextFile (which overrides atEnd answering true when nil)  the import of SIXX with the SAME file does work correctly.

--

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list
Mariano,

This looks like a bug and I've created an issue for it[1]. I've proposed a fix in the bug report ... I think it is correct for 3.1.0.6, but it will have to be validated for 2.4.x and 3.2.x ....

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit/issues/58
On 03/04/2015 05:08 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass wrote:
Hi guys,

].
^ object

Thanks in advance, 

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

On 03/04/2015 05:13 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass wrote:
What is funny is that there is a class called BinaryOrTextFile which I have no clue what it is (no class comment and doesn't appear in guides either), but it's a subclass of GsFile and implements:

atEnd

| ans |
(ans := super atEnd) == nil ifTrue: [ ^true ].
^ans

So...it is assuming that GsFile atEnd answering nil is like true.... while superclass (GsFile) #atEnd method comment  says the primitive answers nil upon error. 

I think that BinaryOrTextFile was implemented to fill the missing gap for FileStream and dates from the very early days of GLASS (8 years ago?).

Historically GemStone has returned nil instead of raising errors for GsFile and friends which has made writing porting code from Squeak/Pharo somewhat dicey, since you have to look at each Smalltalk call and test for nil ....

FileStream is a more recent addition and is obviously missing test coverage ... help in this area would be appreciated ... I have never said no to code improvement contributions:) I just haven't gotten that many over the years:(

Dale

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 4:03 PM, Dale Henrichs via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano,

This looks like a bug and I've created an issue for it[1]. I've proposed a fix in the bug report ... I think it is correct for 3.1.0.6, but it will have to be validated for 2.4.x and 3.2.x ....

Hi Dale,

Thanks for opening the issue. After some more time and research, I think the reason why I may have received the nil was because my GsFile become persisted and probably flushed away by the VM causing the loss of the session state (GbsRtErrLostSessionState). But...I discovered that a lot later...so probably reporting the error when getting the nil at #atEnd makes sense as you put in the ticker and as James suggested. 

BTW...are GemStone issues now handled in GsDevKit issue tracker or you also use your internal bug tracker? 

Thanks 

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit/issues/58

On 03/04/2015 05:08 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass wrote:
Hi guys,

].
^ object

Thanks in advance, 

--

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list

On 03/05/2015 05:49 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 4:03 PM, Dale Henrichs via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano,

Hi Dale,

Thanks for opening the issue. After some more time and research, I think the reason why I may have received the nil was because my GsFile become persisted and probably flushed away by the VM causing the loss of the session state (GbsRtErrLostSessionState). But...I discovered that a lot later...so probably reporting the error when getting the nil at #atEnd makes sense as you put in the ticker and as James suggested. 

BTW...are GemStone issues now handled in GsDevKit issue tracker or you also use your internal bug tracker? 

The open source GsDevKit issues are handled in the GsDevKit/GsDevKit issue tracker on GitHub (each open source GitHub project project has it's own issue tracker) ...

I will eventually move glassdb/glass to GsDevKit/GsDevKit, but that will take a fair amount of work to pull off and I've got my hands full as it is ...

Bugs against the base GemStone are handled by out internal bug tracker ... the internal bug tracker is not externally visible other than through bugnotes. The internal tracker is only used for tracking changes that need to be made to the base product ... In practice, it is possible to patch Smalltalk bugs in the base by using code in GLASS/GsDevKit, so internal bugs are usually only filed for those problems in the c-code ...

Anyone is free to submit pull requests against the open source projects as that code is actually supposed to be maintained by the community ... in practice it seems that everyone waits for me to fix bugs...

Dale