[Glass] GsSocket new returns nil

Johan Brichau-3
Hi,

We have a service vm where a Zinc client is initiating http connections.

After some time, errors occurs because no new Sockets can be created (GsSocket new returns nil).
Restarting the gem solves the problem.

I am not sure, but I think this might be because the socket is never closed by Zinc.
And: is there a maximum number of sockets that can be opened? (probably determined by the os ?)

Johan

Re: [Glass] GsSocket new returns nil

Dale Henrichs-3
Johan,

there is a limit on the number of open sockets (I think it is a linux kernel setting ... so you can change it) ... let's open an issue on Zinc on the glassdb repository about this so that we can clean up the unclosed sockts ...

Dale

| We have a service vm where a Zinc client is initiating http
| connections.
|
| After some time, errors occurs because no new Sockets can be created
| (GsSocket new returns nil).
| Restarting the gem solves the problem.
|
| I am not sure, but I think this might be because the socket is never
| closed by Zinc.
| And: is there a maximum number of sockets that can be opened?
| (probably determined by the os ?)
|
| Johan

Re: [Glass] GsSocket new returns nil

Johan Brichau-3
Hey Dale,

I found out that I was not sending #close to the ZnClient after using it.
I thought #beOneShot was doing that automatically, but it seems that one has to explicitly close the socket.

So, perhaps not really a Zinc issue but something to mind when using Zinc?

Johan

On 27 Sep 2013, at 19:37, "Dale K. Henrichs" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Johan,
>
> there is a limit on the number of open sockets (I think it is a linux kernel setting ... so you can change it) ... let's open an issue on Zinc on the glassdb repository about this so that we can clean up the unclosed sockts ...
>
> Dale

I was expecting that.
But from what I understand from the code, it's closing it at the http level only.

On 27 Sep 2013, at 19:47, "Dale K. Henrichs" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ah okay ... perhaps beOneshot should close after it's done?
>
> Dale

Never mind... #beOneShot closes the connection.
Zinc works correctly.

My bad...