[Glass] How to debug a not responding server?

[Glass] How to debug a not responding server?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi guys,

I am trying my app for the first time. I am trying to execute the server start. So either from topaz or GemTools I execute (in this example Topaz):

topaz 1> run

MyRootTask initialize.
(ZnZincServerAdaptor port: 4040)
    start.
%
aZnZincServerAdaptor

But then if I try to access localhost:4040/myApp  the request never get answered...I get no response. So...I suspect that there was an error in GemStone (I expect that)... but how can I see that error? how can I debug it?

What I don't understand is that other type of errors I get either a stack pring in topaz or a debugger in GemTools, like where I was loading the code and there was some compiling issue...but this time I get nothing. What is the difference to the previous example?

The other case is that maybe ZnZincServerAdaptor is simply frozen somewhere for some reason.

If this is explained in some chapter/tutorial/post please let me know!

Thanks,

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [Glass] How to debug a not responding server?

Dale Henrichs-3
Fist off, let's see what your server is doing, then we can discuss techniques ...

`kill -USR1 <topaz-pid>` will cause topaz to dump a smalltalk stack so if you do this a couple of times, you'll get a sampling of what the topaz server is doing ...

If you are not using the github repo version of Zinc, that might be your best next course of action ...

Dale