[Glass] How to load Seaside-Zinc in GLASS?

[Glass] How to load Seaside-Zinc in GLASS?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi guys. I tried all different ways and I could get Seaside-Zinc loaded in GLASS.

In Pharo, the way I load seaside from my conf is:

spec
project: 'Seaside' with: [
spec
className: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside3';
loads: #('Core' 'Zinc');
file: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside3';

I thought the same would work in GemStone.

First problem is that it doesn't load Seaside-Zinc.

Second, why it loads Zinc 1.1 in ConfigurationOfSeaside3 version 3.0.8 if ConfigurationOfZincHttpComponents #stable says that for gemstone it is 2.4.3 ??? Any particular reason?

Finally, if I force this script to try to load Seaside-Zinc:

Metacello new
  configuration: 'Seaside3';
  version: '3.0.8';
  record: #('Core' 'Zinc' 'Zinc-Seaside').

then.... final problem is that it loads LAST version of Zinc-Seaside instead of the version it should load...and of course, that version of Zinc-Seaside (last) does not work with the loaded Zinc 1.1....

so...anyway can load Zinc+Zinc-Seaside sucessfully? I am using GemStone 3.0.1.4

Thanks in advance,

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [Glass] How to load Seaside-Zinc in GLASS?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 5:54 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

And yet, if I explicitly load the Zinc-Seaside-SvenVanCaekenberghe.16 (associated to Zinc 1.1)...it does not work because GemStone dnu #forkAt:named:

Thanks,

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [Glass] How to load Seaside-Zinc in GLASS?

Dale Henrichs-3
Mariano,

I'm having a Daja vu moment ... I've seen and addressed this problem before ... did we see this down in Rosario, or was it with someone else?

Hi guys. I tried all different ways and I could get Seaside-Zinc loaded in GLASS.

In Pharo, the way I load seaside from my conf is:

spec
project: 'Seaside' with: [
spec
className: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside3';
loads: #('Core' 'Zinc');
file: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside3';

I thought the same would work in GemStone.

First problem is that it doesn't load Seaside-Zinc.
Do you get an error, or does it just not load Seaside-Zinc?  There are actually a couple of different "Zinc for GemStone" formulas out there. I haven't had a chance to look at ConfigurationOfSeaside3 in depth, so I am not sure which variant of Zinc you are getting ...

For server-side the github version of Zinc[1] is probably the way to go...The tests are at least green, but I'm pretty sure that this version has not been integrated into ConfigurationOfSeaside3 ... also I'm pretty sure that the forkAt:named: issue is resolved by the github version...

[1] https://github.com/glassdb/zinc

Second, why it loads Zinc 1.1 in ConfigurationOfSeaside3 version 3.0.8 if ConfigurationOfZincHttpComponents #stable says that for gemstone it is 2.4.3 ??? Any particular reason?

Finally, if I force this script to try to load Seaside-Zinc:

Metacello new
  configuration: 'Seaside3';
  version: '3.0.8';
  record: #('Core' 'Zinc' 'Zinc-Seaside').

then.... final problem is that it loads LAST version of Zinc-Seaside instead of the version it should load...and of course, that version of Zinc-Seaside (last) does not work with the loaded Zinc 1.1....

so...anyway can load Zinc+Zinc-Seaside sucessfully? I am using GemStone 3.0.1.4

Thanks in advance,

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [GS/SS Beta] [Glass] How to load Seaside-Zinc in GLASS?

Mariano Martinez Peck
ups...cc the mailing list now

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 8:56 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 6:31 PM, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Months ago (12?) it was decided to remove Zinc-Seaside from the Zinc config and put it in the Seaside config.  But at the time the Zinc 1.1 port was done, that had not changed.  If you load

(ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents project version:'1.1') load: #('Seaside')

then you should get a working Zinc 1.1 with Seaside adaptor.

But I recommend you just load Zinc 2.4.3 before loading Seaside.

Ok, thanks for the explanation and recommendation.  OK...I have isolated my problem, yes, my app should be able to use Seaside3...the problem is Magritte 3 ...
ConfigurationOfMagritte3  version 3.0 uses Seaside 3.0.8. Version 3.1  uses Seasdie 3.10. So I would need 3.0.
In fact, I created a 3.0.1 which loads Seaside 3.0.9 instead of 3.0.8, but in both cases, I get yet another problem with Zinc.... grrr :(
Well...time to have dinner. Will try to continue later. Here is the script to reproduce the problem if someone wants to test it:

MCPlatformSupport commitOnAlmostOutOfMemoryDuring: [

Metacello new
  baseline: 'Zinc';
  repository: 'github://glassdb/zinc:gemstone3.1/repository';
  load: 'Tests'.

Metacello new
  configuration: 'Seaside3';
  version: '3.0.9';
  load: #('Core' 'Zinc-Seaside').

Metacello new
  configuration: 'Bootstrap';
  version: '0.2.0';
  load: #('Bootstrap-Core').

Metacello new
  configuration: 'Magritte3';
  version: '3.0';
  load: #('Core' 'Tests' 'Seaside').

].

Cheers,

#forkAt:named: was added to the Zinc for GemStone in January.  Maybe it wasn't used with older versions of Zinc or was forgotten in all the porting madness.  This is the implementation in current versions of Zinc on Gemstone

BlockClosure>>forkAt: priority named: aName
  "forks the receiver as a new process at the given priority"

  ^self forkAt: priority

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [GS/SS Beta] [Glass] How to load Seaside-Zinc in GLASS?

Mariano Martinez Peck
grr there is not way.... :(
Even this small script brings last Zinc-Seaside:

MCPlatformSupport commitOnAlmostOutOfMemoryDuring: [

Metacello new
  baseline: 'Zinc';
  repository: 'github://glassdb/zinc:gemstone3.1/repository';
  load: 'Tests'.

Metacello new
  configuration: 'Seaside3';
  version: '3.0.9';
  load: #('Core' 'Zinc-Seaside').

].

I am still not able to just load Seaside+Magritte3+Bootstrap+Zinc-Seaside  :(

What I am doing wrong? I am doing what you recommend me ...

Something strange as well...... just executing

ConfigurationOfSeaside3 project currentVersion

gives a "Name not found: Zinc-Http" ... but... I have just loaded seaside.... I don't get it..
I am expecting that to answer '3.0.9'.

Thanks in advance,

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [GS/SS Beta] [Glass] How to load Seaside-Zinc in GLASS?

Mariano Martinez Peck
This simple script does not work:

MCPlatformSupport commitOnAlmostOutOfMemoryDuring: [

Metacello new
  baseline: 'Zinc';
  repository: 'github://glassdb/zinc:gemstone3.1/repository';
  load: 'Tests'.

Metacello new
  configuration: 'Seaside3';
  version: '3.0.9';
  load: #('Core' 'Zinc-Seaside').

(ZnZincServerAdaptor port: 4343)
      start.

].

Try to access localhost:4343 ...

Mariano
[...]

The deja vu I mentioned earlier had to do with this exact problem ... IIRC, there is a baseline: reference in the Metacello stack and that reference only works when using `Metacello new ....` the mixing of `Metacello new....` constructs and old Metacello constructs like `ConfigurationOfSeaside3 project currentVersion` is causing the "Zinc-Http not found" problem and at this point in time, I can only say  that it is problems like this on that I have been waiting to see before unleashing the Metacello Preview ... So you are not doing anything "wrong" ....

Another problem is that I was under the impression that folks were using the Zinc http server in production ... it turns out that folks are only using the client Zinc code in production ....

I think that Paul might be using the server in production (but not the version that is on github?), so at this point in time, you should follow his recommendations ... The github Zinc server code passes the unit tests for Zinc, but I don't know for sure if anyone has setup the zinc seaside adaptor with the github code ... Presumably the zinc seaside adaptor/gemstone combo is working with the version of Zinc that Paul is using ...

If I understand the email chain correctly, Paul has combination that works for him, but you want to use a different version of something (not clear what package/version you need that is covered by Paul's combo and I'm not sure that I've seen all of the mail from Paul, so I am only guessing) and when you try to use the different combo "zinc doesn't work" ... It's very likely that you are using a combination of projects that have not been loaded together in GemStone before ...

I will spend some time tonight and see if I can understand what might be going wrong ... I'll send more mail later ...

Dale

Re: [GS/SS Beta] [Glass] How to load Seaside-Zinc in GLASS?

Dale Henrichs-3
Mariano,

I've made some progress ... first off, I think you want to run using the WAGsZincAdaptor. This is the adaptor created to be used with Zinc from GemStone:

  (WAGsZincAdaptor port: 4343) start

Secondly, I ran into a bug in that adaptor ...The bug is in WAGsZincAdaptor>>requestUrlFor: where the message #pathAndQueryPrintString is not understood ...  I assume that this is because the adaptor was written to run against a different version of Zinc ...

Thirdly, I  deleted the WAGsZincAdaptor>>requestUrlFor:  method and .... Seaside was being served ... I didn't commit this change, because I don't want to break the Zinc variants that depend on that method being there...

I did these tests from tODE, which means I was running with the latest GLASS code (from github), so here is the topaz script I used (minus the loading of tODE):

run
ConfigurationOfGLASS project updateProject.
GsDeployer deploy: [ (ConfigurationOfGLASS project version: '1.0-beta.9.1') load ].
%

commit
errorCount

!
! Install most recent Metacello
!
run
[
Metacello new
  baseline: 'Metacello';
  repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:master/repository';
  load: 'ALL'.
  ] on: Warning
    do: [:ex |
      Transcript cr; show: ex description.
      ex resume].
%
commit
errorCount

!
! Install GLASS1
!
run
Metacello new
  baseline: 'GLASS1';
  repository: 'github://glassdb/glass:master/repository';
  onConflict: [ :ex | ex allow ];
  onWarning: [ :ex |
        Transcript
          cr;
          show: ex description.
        ex resume ];
  load: 'default'.
%
commit
errorCount

Then I loaded the Seaside/Zinc using your script:

    GsDeployer
      deploy: [
        Metacello new
          baseline: 'Zinc';
          repository: 'github://glassdb/zinc:gemstone3.1/repository';
          load: 'Tests'.
        Metacello new
          configuration: 'Seaside3';
          repository:
              'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main';
          version: '3.0.9';
          load: #('Core' 'Zinc-Seaside') ]

Then I started the WAGsZincAdaptor adaptor ... So this should get you going ...

Dale

**GsDeplayer class>>deploy: is a different version of MCPlatformSupport class>>commitOnAlmostOutOfMemoryDuring:

Dale

[...]

Ok, the deja-vu was not clearly with me ;) in my case during Smalltalks I couldn't start seaside...I reach up to some class side initialize and compilation problems ;)

... IIRC, there is a baseline: reference in the Metacello stack and that reference only works when using `Metacello new ....` the mixing of `Metacello new....`

Indeed. I notice there was a difference when loading with "Metacello new .." and with the normal way I load it in Pharo.

constructs and old Metacello constructs like `ConfigurationOfSeaside3 project currentVersion` is causing the "Zinc-Http not found" problem and at this point in time, I can only say  that it is problems like this on that I have been waiting to see before unleashing the Metacello Preview ... So you are not doing anything "wrong" ....

Another problem is that I was under the impression that folks were using the Zinc http server in production ... it turns out that folks are only using the client Zinc code in production ....

OK.

[...]

I tried the combo that Paul recommend me (Seaside 3.0.9, previously loading Zinc, and loading only 'Core' and 'Seaside-Core'). Still that doesn't work.

I will spend some time tonight and see if I can understand what might be going wrong ... I'll send more mail later ...

Thanks Dale for having look and helped me. I know you have some important deadlines :)

Mariano

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 5:24 AM, Dale K. Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano,

I've made some progress ... first off, I think you want to run using the WAGsZincAdaptor. This is the adaptor created to be used with Zinc from GemStone:

  (WAGsZincAdaptor port: 4343) start

Well...first all, you can see I am a newbie ;) I was using ZnZincServerAdaptor, I didn't know I had to use WAGsZincAdaptor.

Secondly, I ran into a bug in that adaptor ...The bug is in WAGsZincAdaptor>>requestUrlFor: where the message #pathAndQueryPrintString is not understood ...  I assume that this is because the adaptor was written to run against a different version of Zinc ...

Thirdly, I  deleted the WAGsZincAdaptor>>requestUrlFor:  method and .... Seaside was being served ... I didn't commit this change, because I don't want to break the Zinc variants that depend on that method being there...

I got another problem, but removing WAGsZincAdaptor>>requestUrlFor: did also the trick.

So....now I am able to load my code from scratch and run Zinc-Seaside!!! ouiiiii :)

Time to fix FileSystem now :)

Thanks Dale and Paul!

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [GS/SS Beta] [Glass] How to load Seaside-Zinc in GLASS?

Paul DeBruicker
Hey guys,

Just to close the circle on this:

1.  I'm using the Zinc Server but not for Seaside.  I use  FastCGI for Seaside behind nginx.

2.  I think one of us should post the fixed WAGsZincAdaptor you guys sorted out and update the Configuration

Thanks

Paul

On Nov 13, 2013, at 6:09 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> commit
> errorCount
>
> Then I loaded the Seaside/Zinc using your script:
>
>     GsDeployer
>       deploy: [
>         Metacello new
>           baseline: 'Zinc';
>           repository: 'github://glassdb/zinc:gemstone3.1/repository';
>           load: 'Tests'.
>         Metacello new
>           configuration: 'Seaside3';
>           repository:
>               'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main';
>           version: '3.0.9';
>           load: #('Core' 'Zinc-Seaside') ]
>
> Then I started the WAGsZincAdaptor adaptor ... So this should get you going ...
>
> Dale
>
> **GsDeplayer class>>deploy: is a different version of MCPlatformSupport class>>commitOnAlmostOutOfMemoryDuring:

Paul the thing I'm not clear on is whether or not we need a different version of WAGsZincAdaptor for the different versions of Zinc that are out there...

Dale

> [...]
| > !
| > run
| > [
| > Metacello new
| >   baseline: 'Metacello';
| >   repository:
| >   'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:master/repository';
| >   load: 'ALL'.
| >   ] on: Warning
| >     do: [:ex |
| >       Transcript cr; show: ex description.
| >       ex resume].
| > %
| > commit
| > errorCount
| >
| > !
| > ! Install GLASS1
| > !
| > run
| > Metacello new
| >   baseline: 'GLASS1';
| >   repository: 'github://glassdb/glass:master/repository';
| >   onWarning: [ :ex |