[Glass] Introducing GsDevKit: an Open Source Development Kit for GemStone/S

[Glass] Introducing GsDevKit: an Open Source Development Kit for GemStone/S

Dale Henrichs-3
GsDevKit[1] is basically a repackaging and rebranding for the GLASS. project.

A single shell script[2] installs GemStone on your server, creates a new stone, installs and configures tODE, starts the stone and launches a tODE client ready for use:

  installServer seaside 3.2.1

For folks with remote clients (including Windows users), there are instructions for installing a remote client[3] once you have installed the server.

Since you can install multiple stones with GsDevKit, there is a family of scripts[4] that you can use for starting/stopping the different stones.

tODE is installed and configured so you should be able to start using tODE with a minimum of setup/installation. When you install a new version of GemStone the gci library files are copied into the correct spot in the pharo directory (true for remote clients and servers). The same tODE client can be used with multiple versions of GemStone.

A number of the scripts in GsDevKit have been written to use tODE and it is possible to write shell scripts that invoke a tODE command[5] or execute arbitrary server smalltalk[6]. Just use the `todeClient` script[8] to start launch tODE.

The scripts have been written to lean heavily on headless pharo, so the more complicated operations (or those that can benefit from inheritance) are written in Smalltalk. The Smalltalk code for scripts is embedded in the GsDevKit project[7]. Over time, more of the scripting functionality will be pushed into pharo.

Finally, there is a section devoted to add-on projects[9]. As projects are ported to GsDevKit, folks can add a directory (via pull request) containing information about their project[10] including a README with GsDevKit-specific information[11].

All scripts implement the -h option for help.

The GsDevKit project is using travis-ci[12] for script validation (Linux).

There's still more documentation to be written (of course) and more scripts (at GsDevKit and tODE levels) to be written, but I think that there is enough functionality present to benefit you folks. Existing stones can be spliced into the GsDevKit pretty easily (I've done this for my development stones at work).

Let me know how things go ...

Dale

Re: [Glass] Introducing GsDevKit: an Open Source Development Kit for GemStone/S

Dale Henrichs-3
Just this morning I have seen that Pharo3.0 is failing to load FFI correctly (ShortRunArray not defined) so if you try to do an installServer or installClient or installPharo today the installs will fail:(

I am in the process of tracking down the problem (I think the FFI configuration has changed, but only circumstantial evidence so far - so it may be something else)..if it is the configuration, I will copy the configuration that works to the GsDevKit repo (maybe I'll copy all of the FFI packages as well:) to insulate GsDevKit from these types of problems...

I'll send mail when I get the issue resolved.

Dale

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 9:53 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

FFI configuration change was the culprit and the configuration has been fixed ...

Pharo installation for GsDevKit is working again:)

Dale