[Glass] Jade - local monticello repositories -no new revisions possible ...

[Glass] Jade - local monticello repositories -no new revisions possible ...

marten
I worked now one day with jade and hit another problem. I've added a
monticello repository in a server file directory to be able to store the
source code of my package locally.

In this directory I have four versions of a package (1 .. 4).

Ok, now I wanted to save the current source code state and my browser
seems to believe, that my monticello revision number is 3 and wants to
store the new version as number 4, but this version is already as a file
available. One can not change this number - you can not save any new
revision any more.

Then I started the package browser and tried to merge the versions or
even started to load version 4 from the directory.

But this does not change the situation - no version 5 is offered when
saving the content of a package in the class browser.

Marten

Re: [Glass] Jade - local monticello repositories -no new revisions possible ...

James Foster-9
Martin,

Jade does attempt to be somewhat “clever” and if it thinks that the package has not been modified then it will not let you edit the version number. You can save the package to a different repository, but not to the same one. Sometimes things are changed in the package but Jade didn’t notice. Some possible paths:

(1) A work-around is to make a trivial edit to some method (add a space to the end of a line), and see if the package is marked dirty. If so, then the save process should allow a new version.

(2) Figure how how the package changed without Jade noticing and let me know and I’ll fix it. If the package has changed, then Jade should recognize it!

(3) Remove the “feature” of not letting you modify the version of an unmodified package. If you want to be able to change the version on an unmodified package, let me know the reason/use case and we can tell Jade to relax.

Thanks again for trying things out and giving me a chance to address the issues.

James

Am 14.11.2013 14:20, schrieb James Foster:
> Martin,
>
> Jade does attempt to be somewhat “clever” and if it thinks that the package has not been modified then it will not let you edit the version number. You can save the package to a different repository, but not to the same one. Sometimes things are changed in the package but Jade didn’t notice. Some possible paths:
>
> (1) A work-around is to make a trivial edit to some method (add a space to the end of a line), and see if the package is marked dirty. If so, then the save process should allow a new version.

 No, that does not change it - though Jade knows now (after changing a
method), that there are changes (when I compare the current version
against my oldest version "4") and it shows the correct changes.

 The modified flag of the package is not modified.

> (2) Figure how how the package changed without Jade noticing and let me know and I’ll fix it. If the package has changed, then Jade should recognize it!

 Seems for me, that the version changes are using the Announcement stuff
(?) and this does not work any more in my package ...

> (3) Remove the “feature” of not letting you modify the version of an unmodified package. If you want to be able to change the version on an unmodified package, let me know the reason/use case and we can tell Jade to relax.

 Well, the user should decide - even in ENVY you can create a new
edition and then version it again.

Marten

Re: [Glass] Jade - local monticello repositories -no new revisions possible ...

marten
Am 14.11.2013 14:20, schrieb James Foster:
> Martin,
>
> (2) Figure how how the package changed without Jade noticing and let me know and I’ll fix it. If the package has changed, then Jade should recognize it!

 * adding a method does not mark the package as dirty (package should be
shown in italic-bold) in the jade-class-browser

 * changing a method does not marks the package as dirty

 * removing a method DOES marks the package as dirty (but in the pop-up
menu of the package list widget in the class browser the entry "save
package" is NOT enabled - one must select a repository and there the
menu entry "save package" IS enabled).

 * adding a class DOES marks the package as dirty

Marten

Re: [Glass] Jade - local monticello repositories -no new revisions possible ...

James Foster-9
Martin,

Bug confirmed. I’ll work on a fix. I’ll also relax the requirement of only saving a modified package.

Thanks for reporting it...

James

On Nov 14, 2013, at 11:51 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Am 14.11.2013 14:20, schrieb James Foster:
>> Martin,
>>
>> (2) Figure how how the package changed without Jade noticing and let me know and I’ll fix it. If the package has changed, then Jade should recognize it!
>>

> * adding a method does not mark the package as dirty (package should be
> shown in italic-bold) in the jade-class-browser
>
> * changing a method does not marks the package as dirty
>
> * removing a method DOES marks the package as dirty (but in the pop-up
> menu of the package list widget in the class browser the entry "save
> package" is NOT enabled - one must select a repository and there the
> menu entry "save package" IS enabled).
>
> * adding a class DOES marks the package as dirty
>

> Marten

Re: [Glass] Jade - local monticello repositories -no new revisions possible ...

BrunoBB
Hi,

If you drag and drop a method to it's own class (change nothing), then the package is marked as dirty.

Regards,
Bruno

Re: [Glass] Jade - local monticello repositories -no new revisions possible ...

BrunoBB
Hi,

I think the problem is in JadeSystemBrowserPresenter>>updatePackageList

When a new method is added #updatePackageList
self nextLineAsList do: [:each | dictionary at: each put: true]. "turns changed package into dirty -italic bold-"

The string result from the GCI call it does not contain the package as dirty.

But when a method is deleted the GCI result string it does contain the package as dirty:
self nextLineAsList do: [:each | dictionary at: each put: true]. "turns changed package into dirty -italic bold-"

I have added a collection to collect all server string results. The only difference (DiffBrowser) between server response from a new method and remove a method is:

Add Method (it does not mark dirty -bug-)
19
update
addObject2: F F F
%
addObject2:
SEWAFWebListPanel
SEWAFWebListPanel
true
addObject2: anObject

        self inform: 'Add'
%
1 29 inform: 42

report
Remove Method (it does mark dirty)
9
update

Re: [Glass] Jade - local monticello repositories -no new revisions possible ...

BrunoBB
Hi,

The GCI call returns different string. In the GCI string response after the list of all package it come the list of dirty package.

When a method is removed the list is:
Orbeon SEWAF
It does contains "SEWAF" package.

But after a method added the list is:
Orbeon

It could be a server error or a problem with the cgi call or the iterpretation of the result string.

Regards,
Bruno

Re: [Glass] Jade - local monticello repositories -no new revisions possible ...

BrunoBB
Hi,

The problem may be also in the command sent to the server.
deleteMethods xxxx - command it returns a string with the package in the dirty list.
method xxxxx - command it returns a string WITHOUT the package in the dirty list (bug?).
methodClass xxxx -  command it returns a string with the package in the dirty list. (drag and drop method)

If the method class has to return the package in the dirty list then a bug in the server command ?
If not, then the client JADE has to use other command.

Not sure how to fix it but i will try ...  :)

Regards,
Bruno