[Glass] New Web Edition License Terms for 3.2 and beyond

[Glass] New Web Edition License Terms for 3.2 and beyond

Dale Henrichs-3
Please take a look at the article[1] I've written announcing the new license terms[2].

If you have any questions take a look at the FAQ[3] and if your question or concern is not addressed, feel free to send mail to this list or [hidden email].

Dale

[1] https://github.com/glassdb/webEditionHome/blob/master/docs/releases/3.2/newLicenseOptionsFor3.2.md

Re: [Glass] New Web Edition License Terms for 3.2 and beyond

Jon Paynter-2
Hi Dale,

Question on the "cores" section.
The free versions show 2 cores.  Where / how are these allocated?  For the stone process only? how does this relate to gem processes and connections.

One of the things ive always liked about gemstone is that I can have gem processes running just about anywhere.

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 2:22 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please take a look at the article[1] I've written announcing the new license terms[2].

If you have any questions take a look at the FAQ[3] and if your question or concern is not addressed, feel free to send mail to this list or [hidden email].

Dale

[1] https://github.com/glassdb/webEditionHome/blob/master/docs/releases/3.2/newLicenseOptionsFor3.2.md

Re: [Glass] New Web Edition License Terms for 3.2 and beyond

Johan Brichau-3
Hi Dale,

I think these options are very interesting.

I have a question: How do you (technically) differentiate between a development and a production db?

cheers
Johan

On 30 Apr 2014, at 23:22, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

Please take a look at the article[1] I've written announcing the new license terms[2].

If you have any questions take a look at the FAQ[3] and if your question or concern is not addressed, feel free to send mail to this list or [hidden email].

Dale

[1] https://github.com/glassdb/webEditionHome/blob/master/docs/releases/3.2/newLicenseOptionsFor3.2.md

Re: [Glass] New Web Edition License Terms for 3.2 and beyond

Dale Henrichs-3
Johan,

Good question! Another FAQ candidate!

I don't think we have a finely tuned definition of "production" and "development", but at a general level I would say that is fair to think of a "production" db (or stoned process) is one that you use to directly produce income/value for your company and a "development" db is one that you use indirectly in support of a "production" db...but then that is my opinion.

For a concrete answer, I say that you should contact [hidden email]. You can describe your exact scenario and get a proper answer.

I think we are really interested in being fair in our dealings with you. If you are using a free license with GemStone 3.2 or later and need to add a third production db, send mail to [hidden email] and describe your circumstances, I'm sure that we can work out something that is satisfactory to you and fair to us.

Please don't be shy sending mail to [hidden email]. It is likely that James will be at the other end of the line:). The private email conversation makes it possible for you to share details about your business plans and for us to offer customized terms.  We are definitely willing to provide customized terms that fall within the range of the defined licenses as well as those that extend beyond the defined ranges.

Part of the reason that we're changing the license terms is so that we can get to know our users better and better understand the ways that you are using GemStone/S.

We want you to have long term success using GemStone/S.

Dale