[Glass] Permission denied that I cannot fix :(

[Glass] Permission denied that I cannot fix :(

Mariano Martinez Peck
Ok, trying to apply the gsamin and gsgroup I broke gemstone. I rollbacked everything to use my original installation user (marianopeck)
I can start gemstone, I can start netldi, but I cannot log from topaz.

In the log I have:

Internal tables are configured for 1359 concurrent clients.
Server socket gs64ldi (protocol TCP) is created, with a delay of 30 seconds.
Summary of netldi parameters:
   The host name is 'centosserver'.
 GEMSTONE is: '/opt/gemstone/product'.
   Authentication is required only to create processes.
   Process creation is permitted through user's HOME directory.
   Created processes belong to client's account.
   The command line is:
     /opt/gemstone/GemStone64Bit3.1.0.4-x86_64.Linux/sys/netldid gs64ldi
Entering Service Loop
11/27/2013 14:16:37 EST Authorization Warning:
    Incorrect password for user 'marianopeck'.
    error = Password validation failed for user marianopeck because getspnam_r() returned an error: errno=13,EACCES, Authorization failure (permission denied)

I don't get it. I tried reinstalling GemStone but I keep having this problem :(

Any help is really appreciated!!

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [Glass] Permission denied that I cannot fix :(

James Foster-9
Mariano,

How did you start NetLDI? Was it manually or using a script? How did you start topaz?

I suspect that NetLDI is expecting a host user and password and it was not provided. You can get around this by starting NetLDI in guest mode (-g -a $USER), or starting topaz in linked mode (-l).

James

On Nov 27, 2013, at 9:19 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

On Nov 27, 2013, at 9:37 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 4:24 PM, James Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano,

Hi James,

How did you start NetLDI? Was it manually or using a script?

Using the provided command "startnetldi" which if I do

ps -fea | grep netld

I get:

/opt/gemstone/GemStone64Bit3.1.0.4-x86_64.Linux/sys/netldid gs64ldi

I think Dale recommends using $GEMSTONE/seaside/bin/startnet.
If you want to go to the lower level (as I typically do!), then you have to be more explicit and make sure that you have the proper environment variables and command line options.

How did you start topaz?

topaz -I localGemStone

If you are using the -I (capital i or ‘eye’) option, then that specifies an initialization file to use in place of the default ‘.topazini’ in the local or home directory. If you are using the -l (lowercase L or ‘ell’) option, then that specifies to use a linked Gem, and you don’t need to have NetLDI running.

Where localGemStone is a file with this contents:

! default initialization for Topaz session
set user DataCurator pass swordfish
set gemstone seaside
set gemnetid !tcp@localhost#netldi:50377#task!gemnetobject
set gemstone !tcp@localhost#server!seaside
login

I suspect that NetLDI is expecting a host user and password and it was not provided. You can get around this by starting NetLDI in guest mode (-g -a $USER), or starting topaz in linked mode (-l).

You hit it!!    starting netldi this way:  startnetldi -g -a $USER
I can log in.

So...I wonder how can I go back to my previous behavior in which I could connect using the normal startnetldi?

Use the script that Dale provides (or write your own or use a linked Topaz or use GemStone.app on the Mac).

Thanks James,

[...]

Dale Henrichs-3

Ok, trying to apply the gsamin and gsgroup I broke gemstone. I rollbacked everything to use my original installation user (marianopeck)
I'm not sure I know what you are doing when you "apply the gsamin and gsgroup"...
[...]

When your start the netldi process with `startnet` (as I recommend), the netldi log looks like the following:

nternal tables are configured for 3407 concurrent clients.
Server socket 50133 (protocol TCP) is created, with a delay of 30 seconds.
Summary of netldi parameters:
   The host name is 'topeka.local'.
 GEMSTONE is: '/opt/gemstone/product31'.
   Clients are not authenticated.
   Process creation is permitted through user's HOME directory.
   Created processes belong to the account named 'dhenrich'.
   The default directory for log files is '/Users/dhenrich/'.
   The command line is:
     /opt/gemstone/GemStone64Bit3.1.0.4-i386.Darwin//sys/netldid -g -adhenrich \
      -l netldi.log 50133
Entering Service Loop
GemStone signal handler: signal 15 (SIGTERM), received from process 94219 userId 562
  si_code: 0, unknown SI_

So, you must have used a different set of options when you started the netldi:

  Authentication is required only to create processes.

The fact that you are getting password error means that you haven't quite got your system configured correctly for using  authentication ... so telling us which options you've used will help address the problem..

Dale