[Glass] SIXX question

GLASS mailing list
Hi,

        i have a question about SIXX support.

        I hope to found some considerations in this list.

        Questions:

                i have a class with some instances variable definitions. ( varA  varB  varC varD ecc...... )

                Now when i save the data with sixx support i need to manipulate one specific instance ( for example varC  set too dictionary )

                for save only some varC sub dictionary element.

                If i use for the class the method :

                  sixxContentOn: aStream indent: level context: dictionary

                i need to manage all the instances variable into it.

                        self sixxInstVarNamed: #varA
                        value: (self varA)
                        on: aStream
                        indent: level
                        context: dictionary.

                        self sixxInstVarNamed: #varB
                        value: ( self varB )
                        on: aStream
                        indent: level +1
                        context: dictionary.

                        self sixxInstVarNamed: #varC
                        value:  (self varC select:[:x | ( x isKindOf: SupportoCtlSys) not  ])
                        on: aStream
                        indent: level +1
                        context: dictionary.

                But all other instances is ok, i need to manage only varC

                How i can do it?

                The class is complex and manipulates all instances variable is not a good solution.

                Thanks for any considerations.

                        Dario

Re: [Glass] SIXX question

GLASS mailing list
Dario,

I don't think that SIXX was designed to do partial instance updating (or
partial object graph updating for that matter).

Since SIXX is going to want to write out whole objects you might try
using SIXX to write out the value of the varC instance variable and then
set the varC instance variable on load ... I would think that you should
be very careful when doing this. If there are any references from
objects under varC that are shared by other parts of the object graph
that you are not writing out, then you will end up with duplicate
objects ...

There are probably ways to do this, but you are entering into unexplored
territory here...

Before going to far, could you share the use case for needing to do this
partial "object graph update" ... perhaps there is a different approach
to the problem that would work better or at least not require a new
framework for support?

Dale