[Glass] Where to host for tests

SebastianHC
Hi!

Finally I reached the stage of testing and I am jsut doing research on
the available hosting opportunities.

My system is absed on Zinc and a HTTP interface where clients currently
store and retrieve data from and will soon also trigger pre-calculations
on the server based on the data stored.
I'll need the posibillity to let users upload bigger data files of up to
500MB.

Foremost the hosting plattform shall give me a chance to collect
experience in installing, configuring, maintaining and monitoring a
Gemstone/Web DB remotely.

A server in Europe is prefered but not vital.

Where do you host your gemstone installations?

Thanks for any advice, hint or feedback!

Sebastian

Re: [Glass] Where to host for tests

Johan Brichau-3

On 09 Apr 2014, at 17:03, Sebastian Heidbrink <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A server in Europe is prefered but not vital.
>
> Where do you host your gemstone installations?

I can recommend the Belgian hoster Stone Internet Services: http://www.stone-is.com
They offer a competitive cloud platform: http://www.shift.eu/en and very efficient support.

The advantage is: they have an SSD SAN to host your Gemstone extents.
For that, you need to contact their sales because I don't think it's available on the self-service website.

Johan

Re: [Glass] Where to host for tests

marten
We use

https://www.hetzner.de/

with SSD option (root servers) with Ubuntu 12.04.x

Marten

Am 09.04.2014 17:03, schrieb Sebastian Heidbrink:

> Hi!
>
> Finally I reached the stage of testing and I am jsut doing research on
> the available hosting opportunities.
>
> My system is absed on Zinc and a HTTP interface where clients currently
> store and retrieve data from and will soon also trigger pre-calculations
> on the server based on the data stored.
> I'll need the posibillity to let users upload bigger data files of up to
> 500MB.
>
> Foremost the hosting plattform shall give me a chance to collect
> experience in installing, configuring, maintaining and monitoring a
> Gemstone/Web DB remotely.
>
> A server in Europe is prefered but not vital.
>
> Where do you host your gemstone installations?
>
> Thanks for any advice, hint or feedback!
>
> Sebastian

Marten Feldtmann

Re: [Glass] Where to host for tests

Tobias Pape

On 09.04.2014, at 17:03, Sebastian Heidbrink <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A server in Europe is prefered but not vital.
>
> Where do you host your gemstone installations?

I recently switched from hetzner to http://www.netcup.de/

Seems quite ok.
The support is quite friendly.

Best
        -Tobias

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Re: [Glass] Where to host for tests

NorbertHartl

Am 09.04.2014 um 17:51 schrieb [hidden email]:

> We use
>
> https://www.hetzner.de/

me, too.

> with SSD option (root servers) with Ubuntu 12.04.x

I don’t have SSD and gemstone is even running in a virtualized environment but never had any performance problems.

Regarding hosting platforms there is not much that is really important. It is a dedicated machine in the end and there is no service to host gemstone especially. The most important part might be latency so you choose a provider that is near net-/peer-wise.

Norbert

> Marten
>

> Am 09.04.2014 17:03, schrieb Sebastian Heidbrink:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Finally I reached the stage of testing and I am jsut doing research on
>> the available hosting opportunities.
>>
>> My system is absed on Zinc and a HTTP interface where clients currently
>> store and retrieve data from and will soon also trigger pre-calculations
>> on the server based on the data stored.
>> I'll need the posibillity to let users upload bigger data files of up to
>> 500MB.
>>
>> Foremost the hosting plattform shall give me a chance to collect
>> experience in installing, configuring, maintaining and monitoring a
>> Gemstone/Web DB remotely.
>>
>> A server in Europe is prefered but not vital.
>>
>> Where do you host your gemstone installations?
>>
>> Thanks for any advice, hint or feedback!
>>
>> Sebastian

> Marten Feldtmann

Re: [Glass] Where to host for tests

jtuchel
I am not (yet?) a Glass user, but we`ve tried a few hosters and several server types. We currently use 1&1 dynamic cloud servers. They are not really cheap, but uptime and their ubuntu images are well-maintained. We've tried vServers at both hosteurope and strato.de, and had a few issues with DB2 that were related to some Kernel stuff. I guess these could've been solved with enough persistence and energy, but since 1&1 simply works, we stayed and pay our extra. But we could save 50% and more if we moved to equally powerful and even stronger servers at other hosters.

Joachim

Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> schrieb:

>Am 09.04.2014 um 17:51 schrieb [hidden email]:
>
>> We use
>>
>> https://www.hetzner.de/
>>
>me, too.
>
>> with SSD option (root servers) with Ubuntu 12.04.x
>>

>I don’t have SSD and gemstone is even running in a virtualized environment but never had any performance problems.
>
>Regarding hosting platforms there is not much that is really important. It is a dedicated machine in the end and there is no service to host gemstone especially. The most important part might be latency so you choose a provider that is near net-/peer-wise.
>
>Norbert
>
>> Marten
>>

>> Am 09.04.2014 17:03, schrieb Sebastian Heidbrink:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Finally I reached the stage of testing and I am jsut doing research on
>>> the available hosting opportunities.
>>>
>>> My system is absed on Zinc and a HTTP interface where clients currently
>>> store and retrieve data from and will soon also trigger pre-calculations
>>> on the server based on the data stored.
>>> I'll need the posibillity to let users upload bigger data files of up to
>>> 500MB.
>>>
>>> Foremost the hosting plattform shall give me a chance to collect
>>> experience in installing, configuring, maintaining and monitoring a
>>> Gemstone/Web DB remotely.
>>>
>>> A server in Europe is prefered but not vital.
>>>
>>> Where do you host your gemstone installations?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any advice, hint or feedback!
>>>
>>> Sebastian
>>

>> --
>> Marten Feldtmann

Re: [Glass] Where to host for tests

SebastianHC
It seems it is not easy at all to decide for one option...

But this is a great start and I really appreciate this information shared.

Thank you all!
Sebastian