classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Glass] Zinc 2.4.3 on Gemstone

Johan Brichau-3
Hi all,

I have been tampering off and on over the last few months to make Zinc 2.4.3 work in Gemstone.

I made a pull request [1] with my changes, though not all tests are passing and since most of the changes had to do with encoding, byte arrays vs strings, multibyte strings, etc... I really need someone to take a look at them. Also, the pace is quite slow by myself ;-)

This email is just to make sure that the pull request does not go unnoticed for someone wanting to take up work on the port.

cheers!
Johan

[1] https://github.com/glassdb/zinc/pull/48
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [Glass] Zinc 2.4.3 on Gemstone

Johan Brichau-3
I forgot to add that I did the port on Gemstone 2.4 (just in case it's not clear though it's on the 2.4 branch of the repository).

We can probably move to the 3.1 branch for the rest of the work...

Johan

On 21 May 2014, at 07:42, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have been tampering off and on over the last few months to make Zinc 2.4.3 work in Gemstone.
>
> I made a pull request [1] with my changes, though not all tests are passing and since most of the changes had to do with encoding, byte arrays vs strings, multibyte strings, etc... I really need someone to take a look at them. Also, the pace is quite slow by myself ;-)
>
> This email is just to make sure that the pull request does not go unnoticed for someone wanting to take up work on the port.
>
> cheers!
> Johan
>
> [1] https://github.com/glassdb/zinc/pull/48

Reply | Threaded
|

Dale Henrichs-3
In reply to this post by Johan Brichau-3
Marching Orders! Very good ...

Johan, Gerhard, et. al., I want to follow your lead and fill in where the work is needed ...

Do you guys think that getting Seaside/Zinc/etc. ported to GemStone3.2 takes precedence over getting Zinc running on GemStone3.1?

I can take a crack at solving Gerhard's Seaside3.1 loading error, but Zinc has been on the brink for so long, maybe I should hit it hard and get the tests passing in GemStone 3.1 (encoding issues are right up my alley:)?

If there are other outstanding problems that folks are looking at they can be added into the mix...

Dale

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 10:42 PM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I have been tampering off and on over the last few months to make Zinc 2.4.3 work in Gemstone.

I made a pull request [1] with my changes, though not all tests are passing and since most of the changes had to do with encoding, byte arrays vs strings, multibyte strings, etc... I really need someone to take a look at them. Also, the pace is quite slow by myself ;-)

This email is just to make sure that the pull request does not go unnoticed for someone wanting to take up work on the port.

cheers!
Johan

Reply | Threaded
|

Gerhard Obermann
Hi Dale!

I think as soon as I can load the stuff in my upgraded 3.2. DB, i can test and contribute to zink and/or Glass / Seaside 3.1.
If it wont work until tomorrow i have to stay on 3.1.0.5 for the next few months at least.

At the moment i am trying to load Seaside 3.1.1 with 
PS: To be able to load this i have loaded the Baseline packages BaselineOfGLASS1, BaselineOfSeaside3 , BaselineOfZinc manually from my forked GIT clone.

GsDeployer deploy: [ 
  Metacello new
    configuration: 'Grease';
    get.

"Load Seaside31"
  Metacello new
    baseline: 'Seaside3';
    repository: 'github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository';
    load: 'CI'].

Not sure if i need to load  Metacello new
    baseline: 'GLASS1';
    repository: 'github://glassdb/glass:master/repository';
    load.
after the upgrade.

What is the difference between 
  (ConfigurationOfGLASS project version: '1.0-beta.9.1') load
and
 Metacello new
    load.

The load of the Seaside package failed with the init of 
WAWalkbackErrorHandler => initialize
WAAdmin applicationExceptionHandlingDefaults at: #exceptionHandler put: self

[1] WAAttributeNotFound (AbstractException) >> _signalWith:
inCextensionArg: nil
res: nil
.t1: a WAAttributeNotFound occurred (error 2710)
receiver: a WAAttributeNotFound occurred (error 2710)
[2] WAAttributeNotFound (AbstractException) >> signal
[3] WAAttributeNotFound class >> signalWithKey:
aSymbol: #'exceptionHandler'
receiver: WAAttributeNotFound
[4] [] in  ExecBlock0 (WAConfiguration) >> attributeAt:
receiver: nil
[5] IdentityDictionary >> at:ifAbsent:
aKey: #'exceptionHandler'
aBlock: anExecBlock0
anAssoc: nil
.t1: anExecBlock0
receiver: anIdentityDictionary( )
[6] WASharedConfiguration (WAConfiguration) >> attributeAt:ifAbsent:
receiver: aWASharedConfiguration
[7] WASharedConfiguration (WAConfiguration) >> attributeAt:
[8] WASharedConfiguration (WAUserConfiguration) >> at:put:
anObject: WAWalkbackErrorHandler
[9] WAWalkbackErrorHandler class >> initialize
receiver: WAWalkbackErrorHandler
[10] MCMethodDefinition >> postload
receiver: aMCMethodDefinition(WAWalkbackErrorHandler class>>initialize)

Transcript:

Fetched -> Seaside-Adaptors-FastCGI-dkh.26 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository
Loaded -> Grease-Core-JohanBrichau.86 --- http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/Grease11/main --- cache
Loaded -> Grease-GemStone-Core-JohanBrichau.52 --- http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/Grease11/main --- cache
Evaluated -> Grease-GemStone-Core >> initializeTransactionMutex1051
Loaded -> Seaside-Core.gemstone-JohanBrichau.815 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-GemStone300-Core-DaleHenrichs.4 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-GemStone-Core-JohanBrichau.66 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-GemStone-Basic-Development-JohanBrichau.29 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Grease-Tests-Core-JohanBrichau.95 --- http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/Grease11/main --- cache
Loaded -> Grease-Tests-GemStone-Core-dkh.14 --- http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/Grease11/main --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-Component-pmm.101 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-Canvas-pmm.127 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-Email-pmm.25 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-GemStone-Email-JohanBrichau.14 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-InternetExplorer-pmm.7 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-Session.gemstone-JohanBrichau.169 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-GemStone-Session-DaleHenrichs.3 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-RenderLoop-pmm.96 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-Tools-Core.gemstone-dkh.23 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-Flow-pmm.24 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-Examples-pmm.24 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-Widgets-StephanEggermont.35 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-GemStone-Tools-Production-JohanBrichau.15 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-Tools-Web-pmm.119 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-GemStone-Tools-Web-DaleHenrichs.4 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 3:06 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

Johan, Gerhard, et. al., I want to follow your lead and fill in where the work is needed ...

Do you guys think that getting Seaside/Zinc/etc. ported to GemStone3.2 takes precedence over getting Zinc running on GemStone3.1?

I can take a crack at solving Gerhard's Seaside3.1 loading error, but Zinc has been on the brink for so long, maybe I should hit it hard and get the tests passing in GemStone 3.1 (encoding issues are right up my alley:)?

If there are other outstanding problems that folks are looking at they can be added into the mix...

Dale

Hi all,

cheers!
Johan

Reply | Threaded
|

Dale Henrichs-3

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 6:39 AM, Gerhard Obermann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Dale!

I think as soon as I can load the stuff in my upgraded 3.2. DB, i can test and contribute to zink and/or Glass / Seaside 3.1.
If it wont work until tomorrow i have to stay on 3.1.0.5 for the next few months at least.

Okay ... I'll work on getting past the loading issues at a minimum ...

PS: To be able to load this i have loaded the Baseline packages BaselineOfGLASS1, BaselineOfSeaside3 , BaselineOfZinc manually from my forked GIT clone.

This is good to know. Making local clones of the projects is exactly the right way to do things ... I have added the `lock` command to Metacello so that you can ensure that your locally cloned repositories will always be used ...

The `project list` in tODE has a menu item for locking/unlocking projects ...

Metacello new
    get.

"Load Seaside31"
  Metacello new

load.
after the upgrade.

and
 Metacello new
    load.

I am in the midst of a transition period for GLASS. ConfigurationOfGLASS is the old way and GLASS1 is the new way ... ConfigurationOfGLASS is base on Monticello repositories and GLASS1 is based on git repositores.

You need to have GLASS 1.0-beta9.1 loaded into your image BEFORE you can load GLASS1.

I will try to solve the initial loading problem for Seasdie31 right now ... the tests may not all pass, but I think getting a clean load means that folks can contribute...

Dale

Reply | Threaded
|

Dale Henrichs-3
In reply to this post by Gerhard Obermann
Gerhard,

My first cut at loading Seaside 3.1 into GemStone3.2 succeeded without error ... I loaded into one of my GemStone3.2 working images, so I will be a little more meticulous (start with virgin 3.2 db) the next time around ...

It is curious that you'd get the WAAttributeNotFound error when trying to add the initial entry ... this doesn't seem to to be the type of error that would be specific to GemStone3.2 ...

Hold the phone ... I compared the list of packages that you loaded to the list of packages that I loaded and I noticed that some of them were newer than mine ... I had loaded the baseline for Seaside31 into my working image prior to Johan's latest  checkins on Sunday so if you load using this commit [1], you should be able to get past the loading issues:

Metacello new
    repository: 'github://glassdb/Seaside31:aea5f29d9883c5430cf7957c06db0cd85f4e99c6/repository';

And I will make another attempt after flushing my github cache and see if I can fix the load issues so that Seaside3.1 can be loaded cleanly into GemStone3.2...

Dale

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 6:39 AM, Gerhard Obermann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Dale!

Metacello new
    get.

"Load Seaside31"
  Metacello new

load.
after the upgrade.

and
 Metacello new
    load.

The load of the Seaside package failed with the init of 
WAWalkbackErrorHandler => initialize
WAAdmin applicationExceptionHandlingDefaults at: #exceptionHandler put: self

[1] WAAttributeNotFound (AbstractException) >> _signalWith:
inCextensionArg: nil
res: nil
.t1: a WAAttributeNotFound occurred (error 2710)
[2] WAAttributeNotFound (AbstractException) >> signal
[3] WAAttributeNotFound class >> signalWithKey:
receiver: WAAttributeNotFound
[4] [] in  ExecBlock0 (WAConfiguration) >> attributeAt:
receiver: nil
[5] IdentityDictionary >> at:ifAbsent:
aKey: #'exceptionHandler'
anAssoc: nil
.t1: anExecBlock0
receiver: anIdentityDictionary( )
[6] WASharedConfiguration (WAConfiguration) >> attributeAt:ifAbsent:
[7] WASharedConfiguration (WAConfiguration) >> attributeAt:
[8] WASharedConfiguration (WAUserConfiguration) >> at:put:
anObject: WAWalkbackErrorHandler
[9] WAWalkbackErrorHandler class >> initialize
receiver: WAWalkbackErrorHandler
[10] MCMethodDefinition >> postload
receiver: aMCMethodDefinition(WAWalkbackErrorHandler class>>initialize)

Transcript:

Fetched -> Seaside-Adaptors-FastCGI-dkh.26 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository
Loaded -> Grease-Core-JohanBrichau.86 --- http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/Grease11/main --- cache
Loaded -> Grease-GemStone-Core-JohanBrichau.52 --- http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/Grease11/main --- cache
Evaluated -> Grease-GemStone-Core >> initializeTransactionMutex1051
Loaded -> Seaside-Core.gemstone-JohanBrichau.815 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-GemStone300-Core-DaleHenrichs.4 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-GemStone-Core-JohanBrichau.66 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-GemStone-Basic-Development-JohanBrichau.29 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Grease-Tests-Core-JohanBrichau.95 --- http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/Grease11/main --- cache
Loaded -> Grease-Tests-GemStone-Core-dkh.14 --- http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/Grease11/main --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-Component-pmm.101 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-Canvas-pmm.127 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-Email-pmm.25 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-GemStone-Email-JohanBrichau.14 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-InternetExplorer-pmm.7 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-Session.gemstone-JohanBrichau.169 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-GemStone-Session-DaleHenrichs.3 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-RenderLoop-pmm.96 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-Tools-Core.gemstone-dkh.23 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-Flow-pmm.24 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-Examples-pmm.24 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-Widgets-StephanEggermont.35 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-GemStone-Tools-Production-JohanBrichau.15 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-Tools-Web-pmm.119 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache
Loaded -> Seaside-GemStone-Tools-Web-DaleHenrichs.4 --- github://glassdb/Seaside31:gemstone3.1/repository --- cache

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 3:06 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dale

Hi all,

cheers!
Johan

Reply | Threaded
|

Johan Brichau-3
In reply to this post by Dale Henrichs-3

On 21 May 2014, at 15:06, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Marching Orders! Very good ...

Haha :-)
Seriously, I just wanted to make sure that if I did something useful that it would not go to waste.

> Johan, Gerhard, et. al., I want to follow your lead and fill in where the work is needed …

That sounds great. I definitely am not dropping the ball on this one but I need a sparring partner with better knowledge on what I changed in that pull request.
The remaining failing tests are about gzip compression.

> Do you guys think that getting Seaside/Zinc/etc. ported to GemStone3.2 takes precedence over getting Zinc running on GemStone3.1?

Not really. I think getting everything working on 3.1 is a must
I did the Zinc port on 2.4 but I’m happy to focus on 3.1 only too. We’re getting really close to moving to 3.1 now… (sigh :-)

cheers
Johan
Reply | Threaded
|

Dale Henrichs-3
Johan,

Yes, I was thinking a bit (dangerous I know:) and concluded that any work on 3.2 should be preceded by work on 3.1 ...

This is not to say that all other issues will be ignored, but 3.1 is production now and 3.2 is production soon (BTW, we have a 3.2.1 in the works that everyone should plan to use when it is released ... important bugfixes) so my inclination is to focus on (as a straw man):

- Seaside31 and Zinc on GemStone3.1 ... green tests
  - Seaside31 and Zinc on GemStone 3.2 ... address show stoppers

Dale

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 9:48 AM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 21 May 2014, at 15:06, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Marching Orders! Very good ...

Haha :-)
Seriously, I just wanted to make sure that if I did something useful that it would not go to waste.

> Johan, Gerhard, et. al., I want to follow your lead and fill in where the work is needed …

That sounds great. I definitely am not dropping the ball on this one but I need a sparring partner with better knowledge on what I changed in that pull request.
The remaining failing tests are about gzip compression.

> Do you guys think that getting Seaside/Zinc/etc. ported to GemStone3.2 takes precedence over getting Zinc running on GemStone3.1?

Not really. I think getting everything working on 3.1 is a must
I did the Zinc port on 2.4 but I’m happy to focus on 3.1 only too. We’re getting really close to moving to 3.1 now… (sigh :-)

cheers
Johan