[Glass] Zinc is running strange ...

marten
Gemstone 3.1.0.4, Ubuntu 12.04.3, Downloaded Zinc from github
(glass-version) installed and started a default server.

* Prior this I checked the client and it was able to retrieve html pages

Ok, the server is starting and the process seems to run.

When I try to get the test page from the Zinc server via a Zinc client
(from within the same Jade/VM) I get the page source without any problems.

When I try to retrieve the html contents via curl or via a browser these
"external" clients hang.

They hang UNTIL I do another retrieve via a Gemstone Zinc client and
then the external clients get their content. I have to do this attempts
with a local Zinc client and then all external request get fullfilled.

I think, nobody has seen this behaviour ?

Marten

Re: [Glass] Zinc is running strange ...

marten
And when I enable logging to Transcript I get only an ouput like
Oop(...) for each string ...

Re: [Glass] Zinc is running strange ...

James Foster-9
The GemStone VM runs only when the client sends it a request. If you are using Jade, then select the 'Sleep and Commit' menu command from the Transcript window and try the external client request again.

James

> On Nov 13, 2013, at 12:15 AM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Gemstone 3.1.0.4, Ubuntu 12.04.3, Downloaded Zinc from github
> (glass-version) installed and started a default server.
>
> * Prior this I checked the client and it was able to retrieve html pages
>
> Ok, the server is starting and the process seems to run.
>
> When I try to get the test page from the Zinc server via a Zinc client
> (from within the same Jade/VM) I get the page source without any problems.
>
> When I try to retrieve the html contents via curl or via a browser these
> "external" clients hang.
>
> They hang UNTIL I do another retrieve via a Gemstone Zinc client and
> then the external clients get their content. I have to do this attempts
> with a local Zinc client and then all external request get fullfilled.
>

> I think, nobody has seen this behaviour ?
>
> Marten

Re: [Glass] Zinc is running strange ...

Dale Henrichs-3
Marten,

I have some information on working with server apps and GemTools[1]. That should give you some useful information. Not sure how much of the GemTools specific information applies to Jade...

In your follow-on email you mention Transcript output ... it might be helpful to see the actual output ...

Dale

[1] http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2009/04/15/glass-beta-update-working-with-soap-preview/#GsProcesses

| Gemstone 3.1.0.4, Ubuntu 12.04.3, Downloaded Zinc from github
| (glass-version) installed and started a default server.
|
| * Prior this I checked the client and it was able to retrieve html
| pages
|
| Ok, the server is starting and the process seems to run.
|
| When I try to get the test page from the Zinc server via a Zinc
| client
| (from within the same Jade/VM) I get the page source without any
| problems.
|
| When I try to retrieve the html contents via curl or via a browser
| these
| "external" clients hang.
|
| They hang UNTIL I do another retrieve via a Gemstone Zinc client and
| then the external clients get their content. I have to do this
| attempts
| with a local Zinc client and then all external request get
| fullfilled.
|

| I think, nobody has seen this behaviour ?
|
| Marten

Re: [Glass] Zinc is running strange ...

marten
In my Transcript I see the log messages from Zinc in the following way:

OOP(12....)
OOP(12....)
OOP(12....)
OOP(12....)
OOP(12....)
OOP(12....)
OOP(12....)
OOP(12....)
OOP(12....)

(12....) means an OOP number - different numbers.

Marten

Re: [Glass] Zinc is running strange ...

Dale Henrichs-3
Okay,

I don't recognize that output, so I guess I don't know where the log message is coming from...

Dale

| In my Transcript I see the log messages from Zinc in the following
| way:
|
| OOP(12....)
| OOP(12....)
| OOP(12....)
| OOP(12....)
| OOP(12....)
| OOP(12....)
| OOP(12....)
| OOP(12....)
| OOP(12....)
|
| (12....) means an OOP number - different numbers.
|
| Marten

Re: [Glass] Zinc is running strange ...

Paul DeBruicker
Check that the Zinc transcript logging mechanism is sending something like

Transcript show: anObject greaseString; cr.

rather than

Transcript show: anObject; cr.

then run the code that produces the error again. Those oops are probably the oops for the log strings Zinc generates