[Glass] cannot recover from tranlogs

GLASS mailing list
Hi there,

Following an unclean stone shutdown (filesystem went in read-only mode), I had errors restarting the stone due to file system corruption.
This is what the stone log said:

>     Extent 0 was not cleanly shutdown.
>     In extent 0, file size is inconsistent.
>
>     Repository was not shutdown cleanly, recovery needed.
> RDbfRead failed for extentId 0 recordId 784944
> RDbfRead failed for extentId 0 recordId 784947
>
>     An error was found while loading page allocation.
>
>     Stone startup has failed.

So OK, this is a dev stone (GS 3.1.0.5) … on to some restore training then..
I copied in a clean extent and restored from the last full backup.
However, restoring from the tranlogs fails. The stone log says:

> --- 12/02/14 00:43:33 CET ---
>     Opened a transaction log file for read_nolocks.
>        filename = /data/athenadevtranlogs/tranlog963.dbf
>     Restoring from current log directory to end of logs
>
>     Opened a transaction log file for read_nolocks.
>        filename = /data/athenadevtranlogs/tranlog964.dbf
>
>     ***** FATAL ERROR *****
>     Fork in time detected at log location: 964.73.1, expected commitSeq 0.963491, found 0.963481, difference 10 commits
>        Refer to System Administration Guide
>     ForkInTime
>
>     SHUTDOWN command was generated by  fork in time while reading tranlogs.
>
>     GemStone is stopping the Admin Gem with session 2, processId 2649
>
>     Stopping Reclaim Gem for extent 0 , session 3 processId 2647
>     Waiting for all tranlog writes to complete
>     Waiting for Timer thread to stop
>     Waiting for NetRead thread to stop
>
>     Terminating stone.

What can I do next?

thx
Johan

Re: [Glass] cannot recover from tranlogs

GLASS mailing list
Johan,

I've forwarded your problem ... while waiting, could you look at the SysAdmin guide for 3.1.0.5 and checkout the section of "Fork-In-Time" Scenario (Section 9.7) to see if that situation applies to you...

Dale

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 3:56 PM, Johan Brichau via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi there,

Following an unclean stone shutdown (filesystem went in read-only mode), I had errors restarting the stone due to file system corruption.
This is what the stone log said:

>     Extent 0 was not cleanly shutdown.
>     In extent 0, file size is inconsistent.
>
>     Repository was not shutdown cleanly, recovery needed.
> RDbfRead failed for extentId 0 recordId 784944
> RDbfRead failed for extentId 0 recordId 784947
>
>     An error was found while loading page allocation.
>
>     Stone startup has failed.

So OK, this is a dev stone (GS 3.1.0.5) … on to some restore training then..
I copied in a clean extent and restored from the last full backup.
However, restoring from the tranlogs fails. The stone log says:

> --- 12/02/14 00:43:33 CET ---
>     Opened a transaction log file for read_nolocks.
>        filename = /data/athenadevtranlogs/tranlog963.dbf
>     Restoring from current log directory to end of logs
>
>     Opened a transaction log file for read_nolocks.
>        filename = /data/athenadevtranlogs/tranlog964.dbf
>
>     ***** FATAL ERROR *****
>     Fork in time detected at log location: 964.73.1, expected commitSeq 0.963491, found 0.963481, difference 10 commits
>        Refer to System Administration Guide
>     ForkInTime
>
>     SHUTDOWN command was generated by  fork in time while reading tranlogs.
>
>     GemStone is stopping the Admin Gem with session 2, processId 2649
>
>     Stopping Reclaim Gem for extent 0 , session 3 processId 2647
>     Waiting for all tranlog writes to complete
>     Waiting for Timer thread to stop
>     Waiting for NetRead thread to stop
>
>     Terminating stone.

What can I do next?

thx
Johan

Re: [Glass] cannot recover from tranlogs

GLASS mailing list
Hi Dale,

Oops, I did a search in the pdf for “ForkInTime" and that came up empty. Thanks for the correct referral.

Yes… that is probably what happened. The concerned stone is used for development purposes and I suspect someone did a restore/backup twice this afternoon. I will check in the morning because they are sleeping now.
Ok, lesson learned I guess… luckily this is not a sequence we do with production stones.

Thanks for the info
Johan

On 02 Dec 2014, at 01:24, Dale Henrichs via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:

Fork-In-Time