[Glass] gsDevKit 3.1.0.6 license limit

GLASS mailing list
Ciao,

i have a deployment system based on gsDevKit  3.1.0.6  environment.

Now the extent0.dbf have a size of  2 088 763 392.

My question is :  what is the license limit  about this environment version ?

I think:

License Kind Perpetual
Cores2
SPC 2G
Gems Unlimited
Disk Unlimited
Development DB Unlimited
Production DB Unlimited
Tech Support Community
Price Free
Distribution With Product
It's right ?

Thanks,

Dario

Re: [Glass] gsDevKit 3.1.0.6 license limit

GLASS mailing list
Dario,

For 3.1, the license permits an unlimited repository size (total size of all extent*.dbf files), so you are well within the license terms ...

Dale

On 05/26/2015 01:53 AM, Dario Trussardi via Glass wrote:
Ciao,

i have a deployment system based on gsDevKit  3.1.0.6  environment.

Now the extent0.dbf have a size of  2 088 763 392.

My question is :  what is the license limit  about this environment version ?

I think:

License Kind Perpetual
Cores 2
SPC 2G
Gems Unlimited
Disk Unlimited
Development DB Unlimited
Production DB Unlimited
Tech Support Community
Price Free
Distribution With Product
It's right ?

Thanks,

Dario

Re: [Glass] gsDevKit 3.1.0.6 license limit

GLASS mailing list
Dale, folk,

Dario,

For 3.1, the license permits an unlimited repository size (total size of all extent*.dbf files), so you are well within the license terms ...

It's new for me to have an environment with some extent*.dbf

For now i know only about only one extent0.dbf  for a glass environment.

Question:

how i can read about it?

what is the size limit for only one extent0.dbf ?

when i need to manage some extent*.dbf ?

Thanks for any considerations,

Dario

On 5/27/15 2:20 AM, Dario Trussardi via Glass wrote:
Dale, folk,

Dario,

For 3.1, the license permits an unlimited repository size (total size of all extent*.dbf files), so you are well within the license terms ...

It's new for me to have an environment with some extent*.dbf

For now i know only about only one extent0.dbf  for a glass environment.

Question:

how i can read about it?
The System Administration Guide[1]&[2] are probably good starting points ... this is a pointer to the 3.2 docs, but the differences are probably negligable for older versions of GemStone (when in doubt look at the docs for your your version)

[1] http://downloads.gemtalksystems.com/docs/GemStone64/3.2.x/GS64-SysAdmin-3.2/7-RepositorySpace.htm
[2] http://downloads.gemtalksystems.com/docs/GemStone64/3.2.x/GS64-SysAdmin-3.2/1-Server.htm#68531

what is the size limit for only one extent0.dbf ?
Here's a link referring to extent sizes[3]... It looks like the max extent size  is 33554432MB.

[3] http://downloads.gemtalksystems.com/docs/GemStone64/3.2.x/GS64-SysAdmin-3.2/A-ConfigOptions.htm#pgfId-355682

when i need to manage some extent*.dbf ?

The main performance point for going to multiple extents occurs when your rate of writing dirty pages from the SPC to disk exceeds that max i/o rate for your disk .... You'll recognize this condition when your SPC fills up with dirty pages and the io rate to your disk is maxed out or your free frame page server is consuming all of a CPU ... When you add a second extent on a separate LUN, you will add a second free frame page server. with the extent on a separate "spindle" you'll have an additional i/o channel to saturate.... basically additional extents allow you to spread out disk i/o across multiple devices and effectively increase the number of pages read and/or written per second...

Dale