[Glass] pgsvrmain hanged with CPU usage and logins disabled...

[Glass] pgsvrmain hanged with CPU usage and logins disabled...

GLASS mailing list
Hi guys... I am migrating to a new server and setting up all my gemstone stuff again... I now have a problem I haven't seen before.. I am trying to start my stone and gems at the OS startup... and the thing is that it seems only the stone can be started, not the gems. Watching the logs I find

 topaz> topaz> topaz> topaz> topaz> topaz> topaz> topaz> [Info]: LNK client/gem GCI levels = 851/851

 [Info]: Logging out at 02/19/2015 17:51:35 EST
 login failed due to error 4053(logins suspended), retrying for 20 seconds
 [Info]: LNK client/gem GCI levels = 851/851

 ---------

 GemStone: Error         Fatal
 Login failed:  GemStone logins are currently disabled.,
 Error Category: 231169 [GemStone] Number: 4053  Arg Count: 1 Context : 20 exception : 20
 Arg 1: 20

----------

In addition, the process pgsvrmain remains alive and running and using 30% of the CPU.
I have never seen this and I have no clue what could be going on.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance

Re: [Glass] pgsvrmain hanged with CPU usage and logins disabled...

GLASS mailing list
Btw.... the same problem happens even if I try to manually start everything AFTER the OS has booted..
damn..and I have another stone that simply works perfect and they are supposed to be very very very similar....

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 8:01 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,

The "GemStone logins are currently disabled" message is diagnostic ... there should be some information in the stone log as to why the logins might be disabled ... enclosing the stone.log would give us more info..

GemStone version and OS?

Dale
On 2/19/15 3:01 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass wrote:
[...]

As always, Dale nail it...thanks Dale!

So... the thing is that this stone seems to have been shutdown anomaly. If I carefully analyzed the log, I saw that it was trying to recover from tanlogs. At the same time, I was trying to start my gems. That ended up with the  "GemStone logins are currently disabled" message. I still don't know why pgsvrmain was hanged with 30% CPU...but ok, I understood enough.

So..the real problem is that I was  NOT doing a waitstone (I wasen't aware of it). So since the stone didn't start because of the anormal shutdown and the tranlogs stuff, I was trying to start gems at the same time and well....I caused that scenario. To solve this:

1) I added a waitstone to my seaside gems startup:

$GEMSTONE/bin/waitstone $GEMSTONE_NAME 10

2) I had to start the stone with -R and -N and even with that it refused to do it. The log told me to remove X tranlog and that's what I did. After that, the stone could start correctly and gems too.

I learned 2 things today. Great.

Thank you guys.