[Glass] remote configuration for topaz?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi guys, it seems I don't know how to configure a topaz ini file for my remote gemstone.

With GemTools I can login this way:

OGStandardSessionDescription new
name: 'commandLineGemstoneRemote';
stoneHost: 'localhost';
stoneName: 'seaside';
gemHost: 'localhost';
netLDI: '50330';
userId: 'DataCurator';
password: 'swordfish';
backupDirectory: '/opt/gemstone/product/seaside/data/backups/';
yourself.

Note that I am using SSH tunnel from my localhost:50330 to my remote machine.

I tried a topaz file like this:

set user DataCurator pass swordfish
set gemstone seaside
login

And call topaz this way:

topaz -I localGemStone

but it seems it is not enough.

Do you know what I should do?

Thanks in advance!

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [Glass] remote configuration for topaz?

Dale Henrichs-3
Welcome to the world of GemStone NRS (Network Resource Strings) ... the syntax for the NRS is documented in Appendix C of the SysAdmin Guide, but that isn't very helpful.

For connecting to a remote host from topaz, you need to define something called the `gemnetid` before you login. For example, the following tells topaz to connect to a netldi server on port 30733 :

   set gemnetid !#netldi:30733!gemnetobject

For remote servers, you need to supply a remote host name. Here's one I use for connecting from my mac to my workstation in the office:

  set gemnetid !tcp@foos#netldi:41779#task!gemnetobject

The good news is that I didn't have to figure out the magic sequence for the above, I generated the above from the OGStandardSessionDescription that I used with GemTools and you can do the same by printing the result of sending the #gemNRS message to your session descirption instance:

(OGStandardSessionDescription new
name: 'commandLineGemstoneRemote';
stoneHost: 'localhost';
stoneName: 'seaside';
gemHost: 'localhost';
netLDI: '50330';
userId: 'DataCurator';
password: 'swordfish';
backupDirectory: '/opt/gemstone/product/seaside/data/backups/';
yourself) gemNRS

produces:

   '!tcp@localhost#netldi:50330#task!gemnetobject'

which you can use to `set gemnetid` for topaz:

  set gemnetid !tcp@localhost#netldi:50330#task!gemnetobject

BTW the #stoneNRS message will produce a string suitable to `set gemstone` for topaz:

  set gemstone !tcp@localhost#server!seaside

Now you can look at Appendix C and understand what these two strings mean:)

Dale

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 7:20 PM, Dale K. Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Welcome to the world of GemStone NRS (Network Resource Strings) ... the syntax for the NRS is documented in Appendix C of the SysAdmin Guide, but that isn't very helpful.

For connecting to a remote host from topaz, you need to define something called the `gemnetid` before you login. For example, the following tells topaz to connect to a netldi server on port 30733 :

   set gemnetid !#netldi:30733!gemnetobject

ohhh wow... I would have never guesses that ;)

[...]

Cool, good to know about #gemNRS. In fact, it looked weird to me not to have a way to get a topaz ini file out from the OGStandardSessionDescription...

BTW the #stoneNRS message will produce a string suitable to `set gemstone` for topaz:

  set gemstone !tcp@localhost#server!seaside

Thanks, I could connect now :)
Quite slow but it works!

[...]

Yeah, GemTools is almost unusable over the WAN ... tODE will do much better and I am continuing to make progress on tODE ... now that I've hit my internal deadline, I will have a bit more time to devote to tODE ...

Dale