[Glass] ssh -c arcfour, blowfish-cbc -XC ... USE THIS FOR REMOTE GEMTOOLS:)

[Glass] ssh -c arcfour, blowfish-cbc -XC ... USE THIS FOR REMOTE GEMTOOLS:)

GLASS mailing list
I just tried out Mariano's suggestion to use compression and X11
forwarding for GemTools and the performance is Very Good for me ... I'm
forwarding from my laptop over the WAN to my desktop system in the
office and then forwarding from there to a vm running on the desktop
system and the performance is just a bit slower than what I see when
running X11 forwarding from my desktop system to the vm ...

Things are a bit snappier if I use port forwarding, but the advantage of
XLL forwarding is that you don't have to install GemTools on the remote
system...

I will be updating my docs for the soon to be released gsDevKitHome
1.0.0 ...

Dale

Re: [Glass] ssh -c arcfour, blowfish-cbc -XC ... USE THIS FOR REMOTE GEMTOOLS:)

GLASS mailing list

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 2:35 PM, Dale Henrichs via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just tried out Mariano's suggestion to use compression and X11 forwarding for GemTools and the performance is Very Good for me ... I'm forwarding from my laptop over the WAN to my desktop system in the office and then forwarding from there to a vm running on the desktop system and the performance is just a bit slower than what I see when running X11 forwarding from my desktop system to the vm ...

Glad it helped you too. Sorry, I didn't remember if I had to install extra libs for those. It seems I didn't...

Things are a bit snappier if I use port forwarding, but the advantage of XLL forwarding is that you don't have to install GemTools on the remote system...

Indeed. At least installing GemTools in remote server is only once and if you store the yum/apt-get whatever commands is not so complicated.

I will be updating my docs for the soon to be released gsDevKitHome 1.0.0 ...

Cool.

On 03/25/2015 10:35 AM, Dale Henrichs via Glass wrote:
> I just tried out Mariano's suggestion to use compression and X11
> forwarding for GemTools and the performance is Very Good for me ... I'm
> forwarding from my laptop over the WAN to my desktop system in the
> office and then forwarding from there to a vm running on the desktop
> system and the performance is just a bit slower than what I see when
> running X11 forwarding from my desktop system to the vm ...

For X connections across a WAN, I use X2Go (x2go.org) which runs a proxy
X server on the X client machine, and a proxy X client on the X server
machine. It cuts the number of network round trips down a *lot*, and
therefore speeds up X over high-latency connections very impressively.

-Martin