Globally convergent Newton's method

Alexey Cherkaev
Hi all,

I've pushed to PolyMathInbox the changes to make Newton's method globally convergent. I've run all the PolyMath tests on my local machine: passed all of them (was necessary as Newton's method is used in multiple places).

I feel my way of making commits is not quite right, as every time it requires quite a lot of actions:
  1. Create a slice for modified packages - this is fine as usually a few packages are affected.
  2. For each slice I need to add the PolyMath and PolyMathInbox repositories. I've nearly pushed the changes into PharoInbox because I forgot to do it.
  3. I cannot verify changes: somehow Pharo shows me the changes of packages from the slice against themselves... Maybe I'm not doing it right but I was following http://pharo.org/contribute-propose-fix
If someone can show me a better way, I will really appreciate it :)

Cheers, Alexey

Re: Globally convergent Newton's method

Alexey Cherkaev
Forgot to add: I've used the issue tracker on https://github.com/PolyMathOrg/PolyMath for these changes instead of SciSmalltalk.

  3. I cannot verify changes: somehow Pharo shows me the changes of packages from the slice against themselves... Maybe I'm not doing it right but I was following <a href="http://pharo.org/contribute-propose-fix" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fpharo.org%2Fcontribute-propose-fix\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNGY_nXLdkqT_mknDI_GDXa0NuHG1w&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fpharo.org%2Fcontribute-propose-fix\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNGY_nXLdkqT_mknDI_GDXa0NuHG1w&#39;;return true;">http://pharo.org/contribute-propose-fix
If someone can show me a better way, I will really appreciate it :)

Cheers, Alexey

Re: Globally convergent Newton's method

SergeStinckwich
ok great !
I add a link to your slice on PolyMathInbox

We will use PolyMath issues tracker now. I close all the issues in the old one.

On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 4:54 PM, Alexey Cherkaev
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Forgot to add: I've used the issue tracker on
> https://github.com/PolyMathOrg/PolyMath for these changes instead of
> SciSmalltalk.
>

> On Friday, April 1, 2016 at 4:53:21 PM UTC+2, Alexey Cherkaev wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've pushed to PolyMathInbox the changes to make Newton's method globally
>> convergent. I've run all the PolyMath tests on my local machine: passed all
>> of them (was necessary as Newton's method is used in multiple places).
>>
>> I feel my way of making commits is not quite right, as every time it
>> requires quite a lot of actions:
>>
>> Create a slice for modified packages - this is fine as usually a few
>> packages are affected.
>> For each slice I need to add the PolyMath and PolyMathInbox repositories.
>> I've nearly pushed the changes into PharoInbox because I forgot to do it.
>> I cannot verify changes: somehow Pharo shows me the changes of packages
>> from the slice against themselves... Maybe I'm not doing it right but I was
>> following http://pharo.org/contribute-propose-fix
>>
>> If someone can show me a better way, I will really appreciate it :)
>>
>> Cheers, Alexey

Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Globally convergent Newton's method

stepharo
Hi alexey

if you modify only one package you do not need to do a slice.

Le 1/4/16 16:53, Alexey Cherkaev a écrit :
Hi all,

I've pushed to PolyMathInbox the changes to make Newton's method globally convergent. I've run all the PolyMath tests on my local machine: passed all of them (was necessary as Newton's method is used in multiple places).

I feel my way of making commits is not quite right, as every time it requires quite a lot of actions:
  1. Create a slice for modified packages - this is fine as usually a few packages are affected.

Indeed
  1. For each slice I need to add the PolyMath and PolyMathInbox repositories. I've nearly pushed the changes into PharoInbox because I forgot to do it.
Just the inbox is necessary

  1. I cannot verify changes: somehow Pharo shows me the changes of packages from the slice against themselves... Maybe I'm not doing it right but I was following http://pharo.org/contribute-propose-fix
To see you changes normally you press changes and the system will compare the changes against their ancestors stored into the PolyMath repo.
Usually it works.
What you can do is to check the changes of the packages one by one I do it like that.
I do not see other ways. If you want to check the changes you are doing then you have to look at the changes of each package.