[Glorp Replicator] Parent expected but not found?

[Glorp Replicator] Parent expected but not found?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
My 'suppression' quest-of-the-day continues,

Quick question, it seems that pundle versions that were replicated
non-recursively raise a little warning on load that says 'Parent expected
but not found'. How would we go about disabling it?

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Local store and replication

Michael Lucas-Smith
I hear a lot of people use a local store and then replicate to a shared store. At SWS we don't do that - we just put up with the slow communications to our shared store.

What do people do when they need to merge?

Cheers,
Michael

RE: Local store and replication

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
More often than not we just use diff files that we file out from one side of
the merge and file into the other using the Change List, but that only works
nicely because we're all usually working on different parts of the
application so there's rarely any major changes that need manual resolution.

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

RE: Local store and replication

Joerg Beekmann, DeepCove Labs (YVR)

As Boris note we often go the "old fashioned way" and use file outs and
change sets. However the decision to merge this way is orthogonal to the
whether or not we use a local store. Our remote contractors have local
stores to which they replicate, they then develop away, perhaps
publishing perhaps not it doesn't really matter to use. Ultimately they
replicate a version back to use. We can then merge the version they
replicated back using any strategy we want.

If the merge is complex and using a change list does not seem
appropriate we generally compare changes between the two bundles and
then using the Store merge tool on each package that has changed. This
provides greater control than simply merging two large bundles and is
much faster.

Charles A. Monteiro-2
we are a small shop however we often have overlaps with regards to what
code is being played on. We work on our tasks locally and do use Store
locally as oppossed to simply relying on saving one's image. We also have
backup processes for the local stores. Only when a specific set of tasks
are accomplished are packages published with an "integration ready"
blessing to the team repository. We then use the merge tool and actually
do a merge, which

We don't replicate to the team but I was considering using replication to
re-sync our local repositories with the latest in team i.e. from team to
local. Have not tried it yet since for one our team repository is an
Interbase repository and it at least used to be the case that we could not
use the newer glorp based replicator with Interbase. BTW, no need to
support glorp replication for Interbase on my account we will be moving
the team repository to Postgres in the near future.

-Charles

Charles A. Monteiro

Re: [Glorp Replicator] Parent expected but not found?

Alan Knight-2
Well, it's true that they're not found, since you didn't replicate them.

I would think the options are
  a) get rid of them, set the trace field to zero
  b) fake them, set the trace field to something else, e.g. if you replicated version "2.0", you could set its parent to be version "1.0", instead of version "2.0 beta 993".
or I guess
  c) comment out the warning

The easiest way to change the trace would be to open a Store Workspace and read in the instance and modify it as you wished. Or just an ad hoc sql and do likewise.

--
Alan Knight [|], Cincom Smalltalk Development
http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

"The Static Typing Philosophy: Make it fast. Make it right. Make it run." - Niall Ross

RE: [Glorp Replicator] Parent expected but not found?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
It appears that A and B won't really work on packages published as binary,
as they contain trace information in the properties within them, so zero'ing
it out in the db has no effect on the load. I may just suppress the warning
with a handler someplace, but its something that people should be aware of.

Thanks, Alan.

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

--
Alan Knight [|], Cincom Smalltalk Development
http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

"The Static Typing Philosophy: Make it fast. Make it right. Make it run." -
Niall Ross

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

RE: [Glorp Replicator] Parent expected but not found?

Alan Knight-2
Ah, yes. If anything is published binary, then the trace is stored in properties and BOSSed in as part of the parcel. Changing that seems non-trivial, so it's difficult to do anything. The warning is meaningless, because it gets the trace as it decodes the parcel, but the created package then gets the proper value from the database.

--
Alan Knight [|], Cincom Smalltalk Development
http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

"The Static Typing Philosophy: Make it fast. Make it right. Make it run." - Niall Ross

RE: [Glorp Replicator] Parent expected but not found?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Yea, my thoughts exactly. I ended up overriding PundleModel>>parentRecord to
remove the warning altogether. Ideally these would be (optionally) logged
into a separate window detailing the results of any particular load from
StORE, but not seeing them is step in the right direction for us. It's not
like anyone's ever going to say 'no' in the confirmation dialog :)

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322