Glorp, TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE and DateAndTime

Glorp, TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE and DateAndTime

jtuchel
Hi Glorpers,

Timestamps are troublesome, not only, but also in VA Smalltalk. The better class to use is DateAndTime, at least that is my understanding.

DateAndTime is an extension of a Timestamp in that it adds time zone information to the date and time. In some Smalltalk dialects, DateAndTime even supports nanoseconds (VA ST only supports milliseconds).

So to me it seems the standard class for date and time should be DateAndTime.
A quick search shows that DB2, Oracle and PostgreSQL support TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE as a column type, and I guess most modern DBM have that as well.

So shouldn't we change Glorp to use DateAndTime as the default timestamp class and extend its abilities to create tables with these?
Any thoughts and ideas?

Joachim